Which of the two and why?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alaios, Dec 13, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,

I was trying today a very simple composition at my work place. This was a shot with my 100 euros camera and some improvements can be made (like straightening) but for now is enough as exercise.

i-wVqq725-S.

i-wkFg4HB-S.
    a. Can someone explain me what is their difference in the message they convey? Major difference is the exposure and lighting condition

b. Which of the two colors deep blue or very light blue are better for this type of image? Notice that in the second shot the antenna gets a bit of light from roof lighting.

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards

Alex

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I prefer the second photo because it retains some detail over your main subject (antenna ?)
    On the first photo, too much detail is lost from the antenna (?) and it gives more emphasis on the blue colour (don't know why you'd want to emphasize that though...)

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Agree...that's my reaction as well

4. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I also think the second image is preferable. I can see more detail. Hope that helps.

5. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Same for me. Definitely #2.
    Two much smashed details in #1.
    Perhaps it would help us to let us know more about the background... whats the goal of the image??

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi

thanks for answering. This is just a game I am playing.

I am trying always to find a chance and then work on the composition.

At the front there is an antenna that it was receiving a very weak light. The login screen of wingows 7. I set my tripod and got an exposure of 15 seconds.

Then I modified a bit the ligthing conditions, at the last seconds I just turned my office light, so the deep blue when a very light blue. You can see actually, on the second shot the roof lights hitting the antenna.

It might be a bad composition but still I think that both images convey a different message. In the first one the antenna is more attached to the background, for example.

What are the differences you see ?

Regards

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I can see it's a discone antenna and it looks quite sturdy. I also see some graphs with a t (for time?) which are intriguing enough in their own right, but I cannot make the connection between these two picture elements. The significance of the blue background, light or dark, completely escapes me. I'd like to have seen a better image of the antenna, the rest has no meaning to me.

If you wanted to convey a message to me, I've failed to pick it up. If you didn't have a message, but you wanted me to find one, I've failed as well. I'm curious, what message did you want to convey?

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all
    this was just an exercise! Few more to come