Which makes more sense: heavy peaking or light

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by slothead, Jul 23, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Focus peaking is fairly new to me as is using adapted lenses (and especially using both to my advantage). So I tried heavy peaking and it provides a very broad range or what is 'in focus' and that has been relatively effective. So I tried a lighter peaking effect to see if I could pinpoint more exact focus, and that worked pretty good too, but I also found that there were areas of the image that didn't register an 'in focus' condition when it should have (it seemed to have fairly low contrast if that is a factor).

So which makes more sense for general settings, heavier peaking or lighter peaking (I can't imagine changing it on the fly for specific scenes)? What do you guys do?

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Speaking only for myself, using all manual Canon lenses, Focus Peaking is a must of course...and I've experimented several times with low / medium / high settings of red / white / yellow.

I found Low too difficult to see sometimes...high was way too much...medium seems best for me.
    Red was OK...white was OK...yellow seems best all around for me.
    So I've settled on "Medium Yellow"...and with magnified Focus Assist available at the press of a button, they have become my standard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. convexferret

convexferret New to TalkEmount

Mar 15, 2014
    Heavy peaking is more obvious, light peaking is more accurate. The biggest issue I have is when using older lenses wide open where light peaking can't find much contrast to latch on to. For more modern glass I stick to light peaking for accuracy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks guys, these are both good inputs! Roundball, I can always count on you to respond! :) And convexferret I would welcome you to the forum, but it looks like you joined a year before I did!

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Mid yellow for me too for the same reasons as above :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Also agree. I will switch to fine if using a very tight F Stop.

7. Marve Almar

Marve Almar New to TalkEmount

Jun 16, 2015
    I'm using peaking nearly all the time, but there is no setting that works for everything. Peaking depends a lot on subject, lens, aperture and light conditions. Therefore I've dedicated the down button (on the wheel) to peaking. I change between low and medium all the time.

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Light and red for me. As you've discovered, it's contrast dependent. I don't rely on peaking alone, even at light, you can get a false focused reading.
    The subject you wish to focus on, may not actually be in sharp focus. So a follow up check with magnified view on the subject precedes the shutter release.
    For my a6000, I've assigned the custom button beside the shutter button for Magnified Focus Assist. This has worked quite well for manual-focus shooting. I'm sure most have done the same config, and recommend it for your A7R. There was a supposedly experienced pro photographer who posted a video review of Sony's Focus Assist as useless and hard to use. But this individual had it assigned to a back button. :p

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks Will

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. Centropolis

Centropolis New to TalkEmount

Jul 27, 2015
    I have a question related to this topic. I have my peaking set at red and medium. However, when I start to mf, it zooms in and I usually don't see any red on what I am focusing on. When I zoom out, I see more red but zoomed in... Nothing. So it's kind of useless for me. Maybe I am using it wrong?

11. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Centropolis, I think I understand, and what I would recommend is that you turn off 'MF assist' when you are using peaking. That is what causes the camera to zoom as soon as you touch the focus ring. I agree that it can be distracting (can't think of a better word for it), especially if you are trying to assess the entire frame with the peaks displayed and then the scene magnifies and you lose the periphery. I use either the peaking or the assist, but not both at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Mid peaking for me, but I almost always use the magnifier too, which renders makes the peaking unimportant to me.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I saw a video (from the anouncement party) where an artisan mentioned the use of RAW+JPEG creative filter B&W and light focus peaking color red.

14. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I am also a mid-peaker, but I use it for focusing only in run-n-gun type situations with a deeper DOF where I don't have a lot of time to nail focus. For me, I use focus peaking as more of a DOF indicator tool. Once I get the focus in the ball-park with the focus peaking, I hit the focus magnifier (I have it assigned to one of my buttons) to get critical focus.

• Like Like x 3
  15. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Sounds like a good approach! Which button did you assign to it (that's one function - assigning buttons - that I have yet to explore)?

16. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I use the bottom soft button on my NEX-6 (that is located where your playback button is located on your a6000).
    Getting the buttons assigned and being able to pick what shows up in the function menu kept me largely out of having to menu dive.