• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Which Lens Pair for A7III?

Biro

TalkEmount Regular
I don't usually post messges like this because most of the time I know what I want. But, here goes:

I already own the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. Now, I want to add an ultra-wide zoom. Of course, Tamron's 17-28mm f/2.8 is a perfect match and I was about to pull the trigger on that.

But... I've wanted the Sony 12-24mm f/4 ultra-wide for a while. And one has become available to me at a very good price. But it would leave a 24-28mm gap. Now here's where my difficulty arises: a Sony 24-105mm f/4 is also available to me from the same source - also at a very good price. Both lenses are open box in like-new condition.

Normally, I would just go for the Tamron because I normally couldn't afford the Sonys together. But I have a narrow window, that's not likely to be repeated anytime soon, in which I can acquire both of the Sonys if I want.

So, I could pair both Tamrons or pair both Sonys - and even keep the Tamron 28-75 if I still want an f/2.8 zoom. Thinking outside the box, I suppose I could even pair, say, a Sony 16-35mm f/4 with the Tamron 28-75. If I go for the double Tamron solution, I could even add one of Laowa's 9mm or 10mm Solution's down the road if I wanted to play down there. What would the best and brightest here at TalkEmount do?

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I just love my 28-75mm Tamron and since I am not all that much of a fan of UWA shooting, I would go for the 17-28mm Tamron. In fact, adding the 70-180mm Tamron would give you the perfect trifecta of lenses.
OTOH - since I also shoot with a crop format camera, the 12mm (18mm equivalent) f/2.0 Rokinon is what I use in conjunction with the 28-75mm when I need a wider shot. I also use the Sony 70-350mm OSS lens on my crop format camera when I need to go longer than the 28-75mm Tamron!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I am neither best or brightest, but I'll speak up anyway. :laugh1:

I have the Tamron 28-75 myself, the only AF lens I have actually (unapologetic manual Voigtlander primes fan boy here). I have no real complaints and IQ is fine. The wide zoom is supposed to be as good or better. If you wanted telephoto later, the Tamron 70-180 would be a no-brainer for a complete set, as Richard pointed out. They've been on a run recently putting out some great optics, and are obviously competitive on price.

All that said, if it was me shopping zooms and I had the money in hand, I'd probably go with the Sony 12-24 and 24-105 combo. You could add the 100-400 down the road for telephoto if so inclined. The Tamrons are fine but I bet the Sony IQ would best it. You would have no gaps, and 5mm on the wide end is a huge difference (12 vs 17). As I recall you have a pretty recent body so I do not think F4 will be much of a problem either outside of seriously dim shooting situations.

---            

Biro

TalkEmount Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, ain't that a kick in the head. Both Sony lenses are gone. I'm sure others will eventually surface at equally friendly prices. But maybe not before I have to use the money on something else. It looks I'm going with the Tamron option - which is fine.

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Do you need a zoom? Maybe you could add a samyang 14 2.8 af as your wide angle

Biro

TalkEmount Regular
Do you need a zoom? Maybe you could add a samyang 14 2.8 af as your wide angle
Given that the Tamron 28-75 only goes as wide as 28mm, I would say yes. But the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 might still go well with the Tamron 17-28.

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Given that the Tamron 28-75 only goes as wide as 28mm, I would say yes. But the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 might still go well with the Tamron 17-28.
I don’t get it. If I had have the 17-28, I wouldn’t buy the 14 2.8; if I had have the 28-75, the 14 2.8 would cover the ultra wide angle need.
It’s not a Matter of covering all the focal lenghts, It’s a matter of covering ”needs” (a uwa, a wide angle, a normal, a tele, ecc ).
And also 28 is perfectly double 14. It’s an old way of photographers to balance lenses

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I understand what you are saying tino84. But 3mm is more than it sounds like when you are on the wide end. The prime may also perform better, particularly for something like astro (but I did not check these two). So there could be a reason(s) for getting the prime.

Biro

TalkEmount Regular
I understand what you are saying tino84. But 3mm is more than it sounds like when you are on the wide end. The prime may also perform better, particularly for something like astro (but I did not check these two). So there could be a reason(s) for getting the prime.
Yup. The difference between 17mm and 14mm is substantial from a framing perspective.

And it's a case of different tools for different jobs. Sometimes primes are perfect. Other times, a zoom makes more sense because one isn't sure exactly what kind of situation one will be in.

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Sorry, maybe it’s my fault, but still don’t get it.

I know, as Tony d’Amato said, the difference that makes 1 cm :p

But you started this thread asking for an ultra wide angle. Now, I see that the two tamrons are ideal as a zoom set. But you were talked about the 12-24, that’s veeeeery wide opposite to 17-28.

So, I think it’s a waste of money to choose the 17-28 just because “it’s wider than 28-75”(but 12-24 is way more) and because “it leaves no gap between one zoom and the other”.(here I don’t get it, I need a lens, not a collection of millimiter ).

You have such a wide :p choice of wide angle, some very fast: if staying near 12-24, you have voigtlander 10-12-15, laowa 12 f2.8 or 15 f2, samyang 14 2.8. Staying not so ultra, you can choose samyang 18 f2.8.
some of them costs even less of Tamron!

Please, don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to tell you what it’s worth for you,but it’s your money and it’s better invested in something you need rather than in GAS. I’m the last here of the best or the brightest, so for me the wallet has to be very closed until I’m very clear on what to do :)

Top Bottom