Which lens buying route...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Tand, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Tand

Tand New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2013
    Hi all,

Hope people can help me out with my buying strategy for lenses. I got the Nex 3 kit new for 140€ including the 18-55 lens. Its great fun so far. The pictures taken indoors without flash or in lowlight are much better than my compact. I use my camera when on holiday to take the pictures of the sights. But mostly its to take pictures of family gatherings. So lots of people, kids indoors at lowlight.
    my friend told me its a good idea to buy a fast prime for this.
    What was shocking to me was the prices of the lenses. Much more expensive than expected. So with my budget i will need help with choosing the addons that fits with my need.

1) A friend is giving me his olympus OM 50 1.8. Just waiting for my 10$ adapter from ebay. Lens seems as fast as teh Sel50f18. just no OSS. but much much cheaper of course. \is this good enough as my fast prime lens?

2) Sigma 30mm 2.8. Great reviews and even greater price. Just 128$ here. Cheapest lens available. i love the focus length. Only i am not sure if its fast enough for lowlight pictures? otherwise it would be perfect prime.

3) Sony Sel 16f28, available for 123$ via ebay. Reviews are not great..but what makes it so interesting are the adapters. Wideangle and fisheye for about 146$ per adapter. Making it quite versatile and cheap.I ave no idea how use full these adapters will be. pretty great value.Consideirng how expensive the seperate lenses would be.

4) lastly the 55-200MM. Would it be better to buy this? perfect complement to my kitlens.

looking forward to your advice and input.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    1) That Oly 50mm will blow you away! All 50mm legacies from the top jap brands are excellent. Will suit portraits very well.
    2) I'm undecided here myself so I've left it for now...
    3) Go for it, I'd say! :D But I'm biased, this is my favourite lens, lol. Have a nosey at our forum's SEL16 image sample thread.
    4) Yeah, I wouldn't mind one of these myself. I have a MF legacy zoom in this focal range, but I have to admit that OSS (image stabilisation) would help a lot here because long telephotos are prone to camera shake when hand held.

3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    to be honest, I have some 50mm and I love them all, for portraits are excellentes, although I have not a sigma 30mm, only some MF 28mm f2.5/f2.8, good wide angle, and also I have the 16mm but I use very little, now with 55-210mm OSS, is great despite the cheap price compare to the 18-200mm, is a little Slow but is really good.

But now I'm saving some money for the 35mm f/1.8 OSS

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    The Sigmas work really well with the NEX's flash - just the right strength to shoot a group photo with the 19/2.8 at 1/160 perfectly. The bounce flash trick works nicely at 1/80. I find the 19/2.8 perfect as my "restaurant" lens - never liked the 16/2.8 as it was just a bit too wide most times, with perspective distortion annoying if you tried to zoom with your feet (move closer). However, don't expect flashless photography with f2.8 indoors, unless you're willing to go grainy at ISO3200 or higher.

As for wide fast lenses, there are no really cheap ones, though saving for the SEL 35/1.8 or the Voigtlander 35/1.4 are both decent options (they are about the same price, and the Voigtlander gets you a half stop faster).

5. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I own a Minolta MD 50mm AND the Sigma 30mm due to a simple reason:
    My better half wants to take pictures with the 5N too, but definiteley don't want to play aroung with MF, she wants AF and finish! So why not, the Sigma 30mm is an excellent lens which doesn't size up the camera too much so that you can take it everywhere.

Same for the 16, great and small lens in my opinion, perfect for backpacking and really great with the two converters which means 3 lenses for the price of one! Don't get to crazy about IQ if you don't want to pixel peek every micro detail...
    But that's justmy opinion, you have to find out yourself want you want to do and which pictures are more important for you, cause the 16 isn't that perfect for low distance portraits like the Sigma is and the Sigma isn't that wide angle as the 16...
    Or by the Sigma 19 and 30, but the 16 gives you more options due to the converters...

6. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    If it's a question of one out of these options you need to ask what kind of photography you do regularly. The 30 length you already have covered with the kit lens and the slightly slower aperture is offset by the OSS. The 30 will give you better quality but if you are happy with the 18-55 that's irrelevant. Image quality is relative. The same is broadly true of the 16mm. The 18-55 gets you nearly there and only half a stop slower and with OSS. What the 16 does give you is the option for the adapters. So if you think your photographic style and interests push you towards wide angle shooting this is probably your best option.

If you don't do lots of wide angle shooting and find yourself wishing you had a bit more length at times when you come to the long end of your 18-55 then the 55-210 might be a better bet right now.

Another thing to keep in mind with the 16mm is that Sony are currently giving away this lens with a number of their new cameras with an offer that runs until February 2. I expect there might be people who will buy a camera with this lens and then put the lens straight on Ebay. So you might find now and in the next few weeks that the 16mm will appear on Ebay at decent prices.

7. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    = Rule #1
    Good point!

8. Tand

Tand New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for all your replies.

Still a noobie with photography. Mainly use it for the kids and people indoors with lowlight. And otherwise for holidays than i use it a bit for everything.

Reading the forum thinking the olympus OM lens could be a prime for lowlight. Haven not even tried the peaking yet.

Olli what do you mean the lower aperture is offset by the oss?

Anyway after reading the posts I am thinking either the sel 16mm or the 55-210.
    Leaning towards the 16mm because its lower initial cost. In japan it goes for 100u$ while on ebay from HK its U$120 including shipping. Will it be cheaper from US?

Will need to give the adapters a try.