1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which legacy lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by nshah, Sep 8, 2011.

1. nshah

nshah New to TalkEmount

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm about to make the plunge, and although the sony lenses are controversial many of you seem to know which legacy lenses are a dream to use. I'd appreciate any suggestions or links! I'd especially like to know about primes.
    Thanks.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    C/v 35/1.4 mc

I don't have it, but after weeks of comparisons the Voigtlander 35/1.4 MC seems to be great. It costs about 500 + Adapter, but it's small, looks great and delivers good image quality at a focal lenght of about 52 mm eq.

3. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    My most used lens is the Voigtlander 28 2.0 Ultron. I just love it on the NEX. It gives me an equivalent 42mm field of view which I find just about perfect. I also use a pair of Zeiss lenses in the Contax/Yashica mount: a 28mm 2.8 Distagon and 50mm 1.4 Planar. They are fantastic lenses with excellent sharpness, color and bokeh. However, I'm gravitating more towards rangefinder lenses as I like the way they handle on the NEX even though I take on some downsides like color shifts, corner smearing, and a relatively long minimal focus distance. But, despite all that and despite how extremely good the Zeiss lenses are on the NEX, I think I will be selling the two Zeiss lenses very soon. Tomorrow, I should be receiving a Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Heliar. I'm looking forward to using as it will give me a very wide 22.5mm equivalent field of view. The Voigtlanders aren't cheap, but they are well built and a joy to use. The Ultron is now $629 and the Heliar is $549, both new.

To find what lenses might fit you best, what focal lengths are you interested in: wide, normal, telephoto? What kind of photography do you enjoy?

4. nshah

nshah New to TalkEmount

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm into all kinds of photography, but I'd mainly use a NEX for Street or Decisive Moment. I've never dealt with a manual focus lens, but I'm up for the challenge. I had to sell most of my equipment recently (Canon) to try and pay off student loans and move for a new job. It's time for a new approach I think.
    Photography by Nirav Shah
    I have only used zoom lenses with my Canon Rebel, but prefer the 17-35 range even on standard zoom.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You just used zoom lenses? I personally think primes are so much more inspiring. I won't buy more zoom lenses apart from the kit one since I used my first prime. I really like some of the pictures on your website, so I'm curious to see what you shoot with primes. :)

Have fun!

6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    CV 12mm, 35mm and Contax Zeiss 90mm

Voigtlander 12mm 5.6 or Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 for wide, Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 for normal, and Voigtlander 75 2.5/Jupiter 9 85mm f/2.0/Contax Zeiss 90mm 2.8 for portraits can give you 18-22mm, 52.5mm and 112.5-135mm equals with minimal size.

7. Travisennis

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    You have some very nice images on your site. If you want to stay in the 17-35 range then the Voigtlander wide-angles that both serhan and I mentioned are good choices. It is hard to fine small, wide angle manual lenses that don't break the bank. The Voigtlanders aren't cheap, but they seem to work very well on the NEX outside of some color-shift issues that can be corrected in post-processing. A little less wide and you can get the Voigtlander 21mm. There are many 35mm rangefinder lenses as well made by Voigtlander, Zeiss and Leica.

If you are interested in something a bit cheaper then there are plenty of older, manual-focus SLR lenses available. The Canon FD mount has both a 24mm 2.5 and 35mm 2.0 that are quite good and won't break the bank. However, it is hard to find a wide-angle solution with SLR lenses though as most are expensive and quite large.

8. nshah

nshah New to TalkEmount

Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks for all the tips!
    Is there a good site with reviews on some of these lenses so I can decide which compromises to make (CA, vignetting, cost, resolution, etc.)?
    I'll have to start looking more carefully!

9. Travisennis

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Photozone has a few reviews of manual focus lenses on the NEX: http://photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests. If they don't have a review of the lens you are interested in then a search for NEX and the lens on Google will also give you some useful results. I also like to search Flickr for a specific NEX/lens combination to see real photos.

10. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    See my previous post:
    https://www.talkemount.com/f12/fast-wide-adapted-rf-lens-reviews-258/

Also a few other sites:
    Sony Alpha Lens Tests (APS-C)
    Guest post: Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.4 MC lens review by Xavier Lhospice | Leica News & Rumors
    Photoethnography.com - Classic Cameras
    Long pancake/small lens on micro4/3 - FM Forums

You can find more if you google the lens that you want.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi nshah

Your photos are very nice!

12. C Wadsworth

C Wadsworth TalkEmount Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    I love every adapted lens I put on the NEX but some of my favorites are:

Rokkor-X PG 50mm 1.4
    C/Y Zeiss 28mm 2.8
    CV Nokton 40mm 1.4
    CV Color Skopar 28mm 3.5
    Rokkor 90mm f/4 (m-mount)
    Uber cheap 35mm 1.7 c-mount lens - generic on eBay
    And I just picked up a Summitar 50mm 2.0 that looks promising...

These are all very reasonable lenses (some dirt cheap) and the results are outstanding.

13. nexnex

nexnex New to TalkEmount

Sep 5, 2011
    Singapore
    i have just recently bought a 28mm f1.9 CV ultron and saving up for a 15mm heliar..for the nex5n..but it boils down to choice though and what focal length TS are comfortable with.