• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Which legacy lenses do you think will - and won't - work well with a FF NEX?

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
Now that the full-frame e-mount still camera some of us have been yearning for appears to be a real likelihood, my thoughts immediately turn to lenses. I am very excited to finally get use my nifty fifties as normals and my 35s as wides. On the other hand, I am tempering my excitement with a bit of a reality check. Certain lenses that are already struggling for performance in the corners will likely do significantly worse without the crop factor. A somewhat coarser pixel pitch may help somewhat, but I'm still expecting some lenses just won't measure up. On the other hand, I am cautiously optimistic for others.

My predictions for my arsenal are:

• The Minolta MD glass, 50mm & down will be messy in the corners.
  • My Tokina 17mm will be super fun but large areas along the right edge may have go bye-bye.
  • The Canon FL 55/1.2 and Leica Summicron 1:2/35 will rock the house, corner to corner when stopped down.
  • Framing subjects similarly, every lens will have noticably better potential for background blur.

I guess I'll have to wait just one more year to find out if I'm right!
What do you think?

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hmm, I both attracted and repulsed by the concept. I live FF from experience, but as a portrait shooter I enjoy my nifties acting as short telephotos. FF means I might shoot my FL85 way more, unless I adapt and keep shooting the 50's as normals. I certainly did when
I was using the PL25/1.4 on m4/3... The only thing really bugging me will be losing use of my stellar PEN 38. Dunno if I have a great copy or what, but it's just awesome on APS-C.

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I thought about you, nianys - you might just have to have to start all over, comparing every 85mm under the sun! ;) Something tells me you're going to love full-frame, though...

As for me, though I've been yearning to ditch the crop factor for quite some time for some things, when that camera finally arrives, I may actually use crop mode (if there is one) sometimes. I do like a slightly longer lens for most "product" shots and my 55mm macro may actually be too short on full-frame. (The 105mm should be a lot more agreeable, though - I find that's a tad long on APS-C.)

Latest threads

Top Bottom