Which legacy lenses do you think will - and won't - work well with a FF NEX?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jefenator, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Now that the full-frame e-mount still camera some of us have been yearning for appears to be a real likelihood, my thoughts immediately turn to lenses. I am very excited to finally get use my nifty fifties as normals and my 35s as wides. On the other hand, I am tempering my excitement with a bit of a reality check. Certain lenses that are already struggling for performance in the corners will likely do significantly worse without the crop factor. A somewhat coarser pixel pitch may help somewhat, but I'm still expecting some lenses just won't measure up. On the other hand, I am cautiously optimistic for others.

My predictions for my arsenal are:

• The Minolta MD glass, 50mm & down will be messy in the corners.
    • My Tokina 17mm will be super fun but large areas along the right edge may have go bye-bye.
    • The Canon FL 55/1.2 and Leica Summicron 1:2/35 will rock the house, corner to corner when stopped down.
    • Framing subjects similarly, every lens will have noticably better potential for background blur.

I guess I'll have to wait just one more year to find out if I'm right!
    What do you think?
  2. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    I don't care honestly I just want my 50s to be 50mms.
  3. asimkalkan

asimkalkan TalkEmount Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Olympus Pen lenses wont cover the sensor. Coz it waz half frame film camera

Sent from my AE-1 Program using Tapatalk 2
  4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Hmm, I both attracted and repulsed by the concept. I live FF from experience, but as a portrait shooter I enjoy my nifties acting as short telephotos. FF means I might shoot my FL85 way more, unless I adapt and keep shooting the 50's as normals. I certainly did when
    I was using the PL25/1.4 on m4/3... The only thing really bugging me will be losing use of my stellar PEN 38. Dunno if I have a great copy or what, but it's just awesome on APS-C.
  5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    I thought about you, nianys - you might just have to have to start all over, comparing every 85mm under the sun! ;) Something tells me you're going to love full-frame, though...

As for me, though I've been yearning to ditch the crop factor for quite some time for some things, when that camera finally arrives, I may actually use crop mode (if there is one) sometimes. I do like a slightly longer lens for most "product" shots and my 55mm macro may actually be too short on full-frame. (The 105mm should be a lot more agreeable, though - I find that's a tad long on APS-C.)