1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which legacy lenses do you plan to use on a full-frame NEX?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jefenator, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Now that the full-frame NEX appears very imminent, my curiosity is renewed.

Here's what I've got:

• Tokina RMC 17/3.5: was getting ready to sell this but then it occurred to me it would be really fun to try using this lens as intended (as an ultra-wide)
    • Nikkor AI 24/2.8: an holdover from my Nikon film days I've been aching to use once more as a true 24mm. The cropped corners are pretty solid, stopped down - I'm cautiously optimistic.
    • Leitz Summicron-R 35/2: this one is very special - the cleanest wide-open renderings I've ever experienced (at least in the center). So the Sony/Zeiss will only open to f/2.8? Fine by me - I got this thing!
    • Various 50mm - 55mm: as my vision boxes in with age, this "normal" angle becomes more and more relevant to me. Like most legacy lens aficionados, I already have too many to choose from. I expect most of them should work out just fine on full-frame. I may be tempted by the native offering, just to have one that is compact with AF. Or invest in a Leica Summicron of some sort.
    • Leitz Macro-Elmar 100/4: my current workhorse for product shots. Working distance and depth of field will be less generous but still sufficient. (Was doing fine with the 60mm macro, cropped 1.5x. That will probably get a lot less camera time on full-frame - except for the occasional product group shot.)

A few predictions:

• Certain wide angle rangefinder lenses that were problematic on APS-C will likely be more so on FF.
    • No announcement yet on sensor resolution. Many lenses may have trouble keeping up, and pixel peeping may get ugly if the sensor is well over 30MP. (OTOH, crop mode would be more useful. 36MP would be a nice compromise IMHO.)
    • I think the Leica macros will keep working splendidly for my product shooting. Out roaming for landscapes, there might be somewhat of an optical shakedown. (Already has been for crop - I use mostly e-mount now when I'm out & about.) I think the old glass will be fun for shooting people, though I may have to cash in a few nifty fifties and get an 85mm.

What are your plans?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Did not know I was buying a Full Framed NEX??:p

Still an interesting proposition. I would assume that those marginal lenses would look even worse on the full frame.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Maybe, maybe not. Some NEX bodies have issues with Sony E-mount UWA lenses. Sony is aware of this and I have to think they will address it at the sensor level. At least I hope they would.

Not sure where I stand on a FF NEX at the moment. If they nail the UWA stuff I could see getting one, if they don't then maybe not.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It would certainly be a pleasant surprise if the new sensor were more resistant to color cast. It might behoove Sony to make it so - this sentiment seems to prevail on the twin thread I started on dpreview. If they could pull it off, it might be very hard for a lot of rangefinder lens owners to resist!

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I plan on using full frame lenses of course. ;)

Here's a small sample from the closet.

lenses.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I see you have chosen your screen name wisely. :2thumbs:

7. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Just the one, an 8mm wide angle !! :cool:

8. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    (snicker!)

9. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think I would want to shoot with my Minolta MC 24/2.8 and a FF NEX. It would be nice to have a true wide angle for a change. Of course I don't see myself getting a FF NEX anytime soon as I suspect it's going to be pretty spendy.

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Pretty much my thoughts.

Tony

11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nah, I won't buy it. I actually don't want a lens wider than my 12mm Touit (18mm eq) as it's already hard enough to get a clean composition with a 99° angle of view. And I shot about 90% of my photos this year at or above ISO 1600, and I didn't get a single shot where I wished there was less noise. On an old NEX-5, that is. So I don't see the point. But whatever, it will be the tool of choice for many anyway.

12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
  13. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    You need more lenses. Particularly more Minoltas. :)

Tony

14. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Pentax SMC Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (8 blade version)! I should use it on the 7 more often.