1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

which is my best landscape lens?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Oct 2, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I am giving you a list of my lenses and I wanted to discuss with you which can be better for landscape and long exposure shots.

SEL1855
    SEL50 (ok a bight tight for landscape but who know when it can fit what you want to include)
    Sigma 30 (okay still tight but sometimes the field of view is just enough)
    SEL16 my wider lens but I have read that is a piece of "crap"
    Minolta 28-85.. my loved one but I can not correct any problems unfortunately with a preset in lightroom as easy as I can with the Sony lenses.

Which one would you use under the scenarios I described and at which apertures?

Regards
    Alex

2. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    I would say that each lens has its own capabilities and in some situations will provide good result for landscape, except the 50 indeed on APS-C or rarely. I've used my with old 5N the 18-55, the Sigma and and 16. My beloved one for landscape on the 5N and still on the A7 is a Canon FDn 24.
    For landscape you should ideally stop down from f8 to f11 (sometimes a bit more), generally that is where most of the lenses produce their best results.
    Here are some examples to give you an idea...make me think that I should try to reprocess some of my "old photos"...

Shot with the 18-55 in my "old days"

9110145591_ce1b187f6b_b. Yosemite Valley by IzTheViz, on Flickr

8627536446_92673fb1bd_b. Big Sur - California by IzTheViz, on Flickr

Shot with the 16. As soon as you stop it down to 5.6 minimum you will not be disappointed. This one gives you a 24 FF equivalent which is good for landscape.

8542825090_f777e5fbf5_b. Cascade du Grand Galet - Langevin - La Réunion by IzTheViz, on Flickr

11228400283_2f8dc99dd9_b. Sunset over the Hudson River - Empire State Building - New York by IzTheViz, on Flickr

12330977734_a675b81897_b. Lower Manhattan as seen from the Empire State Building - New York by IzTheViz, on Flickr

Shot with the Sigma

12783305614_eddd654fbc_b. Ipanema - Rio de Janeiro by IzTheViz, on Flickr

10305257375_b25e1e7244_b. Prague - Once again... by IzTheViz, on Flickr

• Like Like x 14
  3. vincentshumai

vincentshumai TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2014
    I would opt for Sigma 19mm instead of Sigma 30mm as stated in your first post

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks. Any review I have seen for the f16 says that is crappy crap....

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    You have to stop down the aperture for landscapes so you can use 18-55mm and also you can stitch with longer lenses also eg Sigma 30mm/Sony 50mm... I don't think there is one solution for all but usually wider lenses are used for one shot landscapes...

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    true but which focal lengthes and at which apertures do you recomment for each length for maximum dof? I can use sel1855 for example, which focal length and which apertures?

Alex

7. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    usually from f8 to f11 you will get the best results whatever the lens I would say. test it by yourself. take the same landscape shot at different aperture. On my two examples shot with the 18-55 the first one is at f13 (lot of sun) and the other one at f5.6. The first one needed more dof (hence the f13 also).

• Like Like x 1
  8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    and how do you calculate the focus distance and if you have enough dof?
    Alex

9. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    It's been said that the "sweet spot" for the kit 18-55mm lens is between 24-28mm. If you can use that focal length and shoot between f/8 and f/11 as izTheViz noted I think you can create very nice results.

The 50mm is too long - the Sigma is borderline. The 16mm is not a "crap" lens. You just need to know it's strengths and weaknesses. The Minolta at 28mm maybe but I'm guessing that the edges of it's range are the weakest.

BTW - izTheViz, that Rio beach shot is amazing!

• Like Like x 1
  10. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    This has been my experience with the 18-55. It is actually pretty good between 22mm-35mm.

• Like Like x 1
  11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Beautiful!

• Like Like x 1
  12. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well it surely does not have the best corners/edges or gives you a ton of Resolution but stopped down to F8 or so, you can do nicely I think.
    Here is a pic using the Ultra Wide Adapter for it.
    14936924107_5bc99dd4e9_o. Open view... by GabrielG2k11, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    There are many online DOF calculators available, as well as many smartphone apps that will do the same. You just type in your focal length and your aperture, and they will tell you the hyper focal distance and DOF.

14. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    The Sigma 30 rocks !

• Like Like x 1
  15. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am asking about the focus distance and if I am not wrong none of the nex cameras give any such information. In my old adapted lenses this was printed on the ring.

16. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex

any landscape shots with that lens?
    Alex

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If I recall correctly, the SELP1650 used to show focus distance on the EVF with my old NEX-6. But with other lenses you just have to get good at "eyeballing" it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    http://flic.kr/p/hXUu4M

Not sure you can call that landscape...makes me realize I did not use it as much for landscape. The Sigma 19 is a better candidate...

19. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    • Like Like x 4
  20. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    The best landscape lens depends on the types of landscapes you enjoy shooting most. A normal zoom works great for me personally - except when telephoto or ultrawide work better.

A depth of field calculator and practice will help you figure out where to focus and what aperture to use for 'ideal' depth of field.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 1