• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Which hard drive ?

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
Well guys... I am more confused than ever ! ?
As far as I can understand from your posts - which I deeply thank ! :bowdown: - many solutions are available, some more expensive than others...
The fact is that my ignorance in this matter takes me to spend money unnecessarily when more "wise" solutions are available with the same or even better performance .
The data you kindly sent me is little information as I can't read it ! A shame, indeed. :blush:
I am sure others will be able to learn from what you all have written.

Anyway, I must thank you for being so nice and kind.
I must ask someone I know who can understand the "language" you used which no doubt, will save me some €uros...
Much obliged !
Cheers ! :)

I wish I had such a speed on the drive...
i-ZbRBZPk-M.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

but even my Mac is not that fast ... (if I have done things properly)
i-69QMj7d-XL.png

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
Well guys... I am more confused than ever ! ?
As far as I can understand from your posts - which I deeply thank ! :bowdown: - many solutions are available, some more expensive than others...
The fact is that my ignorance in this matter takes me to spend money unnecessarily when more "wise" solutions are available with the same or even better performance .
The data you kindly sent me is little information as I can't read it ! A shame, indeed. :blush:
I am sure others will be able to learn from what you all have written.

Anyway, I must thank you for being so nice and kind.
I must ask someone I know who can understand the "language" you used which no doubt, will save me some €uros...
Much obliged !

I wish I had such a speed on the drive...
i-ZbRBZPk-M.png

but even my Mac is not that fast ... (if I have done things properly)
i-69QMj7d-XL.png
You’ll get that speed with sata nvme. They’re fast and they don’t produce noise at all. I use them, for almost 3 years no problems so far. That’s what you need. Or just get the one we already talked about. Nobody has to get confused by the presentation of computer’s hardwares specs here on this PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM.

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
i-F6mxL3k-XL.png

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
i-F6mxL3k-XL.png
Your iMac uses Thunderbolt Try this

FD Extreme - 1TB Portable NVMe SSD - Thunderbolt 3 40Gb/s - Up to 2800MB/s Transfer Speed - Black - Plug and Play with Mac - Intel Certified, WD Black Inside - (TB3X-2300N1TB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D9WKKT...abc_Q4EZ3S6H76X91BHQYCJN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1.

or something similar. Get one of this, or shop around for something like it but, (this isn’t necessary) I recommend to get a back up hard disk too. In other words, make a copy of what you have in that ssd storage in the HDD. You only need the hdd for backing up purposes.

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
Your iMac uses Thunderbolt Try this

FD Extreme - 1TB Portable NVMe SSD - Thunderbolt 3 40Gb/s - Up to 2800MB/s Transfer Speed - Black - Plug and Play with Mac - Intel Certified, WD Black Inside - (TB3X-2300N1TB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D9WKKT...abc_Q4EZ3S6H76X91BHQYCJN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1.

or something similar. Get one of this, or shop around something like it but, (this isn’t necessary) don’t forget to get a back up hard disk too. In other words, make a copy of what you have in that ssd storage in the HDD.
Edwin... much obliged ! :bowdown:
I hope to be able to give you a feed back ASAP !

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
Edwin... much obliged ! :bowdown:
I hope to be able to give you a feed back ASAP !
I use the same setup and I’m very happy with it but, I use a PC. With mac’s thunderbolt, it is actually even faster to access the photos. You can also buy the fastest NVMe drives and get a thunderbolt’s enclosure separately.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
I use the same setup and I’m very happy with it but, I use a PC. With mac’s thunderbolt, it is actually even faster to access the photos. You can also buy the fastest NVMe drives and get a thunderbolt’s enclosure separately.
Can you translate that in mundane terms if you please ?
I think I will go to a 2TB drive.

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
Can you translate that in mundane terms if you please ?
I think I will go to a 2TB drive.
I use an nvme drive to store the photos and access them from my pc but regularly back them up on hdd. I don’t access those photos on HDD. My PC uses usb 3.
2 TB is plenty.

This is just the enclosure/casing, you have to buy the drives separately
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 Certified M.2 NVMe SSD Tool-Free Solid Aluminum Enclosure https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FT59SB6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_WN23GPSH7QXY4M834QMT

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
Edwin... you have been terrific ! :yahoo: :thumbsup:
Great help ! Now I am struggling where to buy in Europe. From AmericanAmazon is too expensive and it would bring me custom problems and expenses.
Allow me to disturb you again, later... let me make some searches before doing so !

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
Edwin... you have been terrific ! :yahoo: :thumbsup:
Great help ! Now I am struggling where to buy in Europe. From AmericanAmazon is too expensive and it would bring me custom problems and expenses.
Allow me to disturb you again, later... let me make some searches before doing so !
I don’t know about Portugal, but in Nederland we have Coolblue or Conrad. Maybe Mediamarkt? Or Amazon UK?

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
I am sorry guys but it is me again with a small problem.
Now that I have two drives I need a software to make incremental backups.
Anyone ? A pretty simple and basic !

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Jim
I have been using a program called SuperDuper for over 10 years. It makes incremental backups and is pretty easy to use, including automated backups. But If you want to customize it to say to only copy certain folders of a larger parent drive to a smaller (and maybe faster) drive, it can be done with simple to write scripts.

It is made by a company called Shirt Pocket and costs $28 US. The owner is always available for any issues, always upgrades it to work with the latest Mac OS and has never asked for an upgrade fee, simply amazing! I use it on 4 Macs so I felt bad and bought a 2nd copy and registered it. Link below:

https://shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount All-Pro
I knew someone would be so kind as to guide me advice about that. I knew it ! :yahoo:
Jim... I will get that app ASAP !
Thank you so much ! Appreciated ! :bowdown:
Cheers ! :2thumbs:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom