Which full-frame Sony body do you consider your PRIMARY camera?

Which full-frame Sony body do you consider your PRIMARY camera?

• Original A7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A7ii / A72

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A7iii / A73

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Original A7R

• A7Rii / A7RII / A7R2

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • A7Riii / A7RIII / A7R3

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • A7Riv / A7RIV / A7R4

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Original A7S

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • A7Sii / A7S2

• Total voters

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I have a bit of post-Christmas GAS-and-cash and thinking about upgrading my A7ii. Reign me in or set me free by sharing what you are using! :friends:

And I am curious what everyone is using anyway.

Note: nothing against APS-C whatsoever. Polls only allow so many responses, and with Sony's pace of change I decided to do a full-frame poll instead of in general. Of course, someone could start an APS-C poll if you are interested.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
After spending time with both my A7ii and iii, I can't imagine ever needing more camera than what I have now in the A7iii.
I just need to learn how to use it better now.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Bought my first Sony, a A73, a year ago in Sept. Have been trying different primes for mainly shooting portraits and have settled on 2 Sonnar ZA and 2 Batis as my core primes. Love it, due to the incredible Eye-AF, the smaller size/ lighter weight of the primes, the long lasting battery, and 24MP is perfect for what I have been using the Sony for. Am finally comfortable wth the Sony ergonomics/menu system and have decided to make Sony my main system going forward and just added 2 zooms in the last 45 days. I plan on buying a A7R 3 or R 4 series camera later in 2020 for landscapes and the APS-C crop mode for use with my Batis 135 and new 100-400 GM. But I also have a ton of Nikon and M4/3 gear that I have shot with for many years and need to sell of before investing in a 2nd Sony body. At least that is what I tell my wife.....:laugh:

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
The A7III is my main Sony camera. I want an A9, but used prices are still quite high. A7RIII prices have already dropped below $2000 USD, but A9 prices are still remaining above that mark. I also have my Nikon bodies, but I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to consolidate to one system, since I prefer flash photography and Nikon long telephoto lenses with DSLRs. Decisions!

Last edited:

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Ugh, how could I forget the A9 and A9ii? :dash2:
Though I think I would not have had enough space for the options, pretty sure I only had one left.
Might have been better to leave off the originals, though, probably less likely to have one of those around here but then I am not sure we have any A9 users either.

I do not think I have ever done a poll here before. It takes a bit more planning than I am used to instead of just stream of consciousness writing.

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
I only have one full frame Sony body so I voted for that even though it may not be my primary body. In the last month I've used MFT more, and for the last year in total the Nex 6 was probably the most used....

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Hmm, this is getting more complicated with every post, lol.

I could have allowed multiple selections - maybe should have - but was more interested in what full-frame body people actually were using the most if they had multiples. I knew there would be other systems in play but just to keep it manageable, I drew the line at Sony full-frame bodies. Then forgot one of the best - the A9/A9ii. My head is starting to hurt, lol.

Maybe we can come up with a better selection from 10 items, and try another poll if anyone is interested.

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
A7ii here.
Excellent value imo.
Great for most things.
Needs a little finesse here and there..

I plan to keep it until the used iiis drop below the 1K mark.
May be a while.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
In shopping prices on used A7III bodies on a certain well-known photography site, they seem to be hovering at $1400-$1500 - sometimes less. But not sub-$1000 yet, maybe after an A7IV appears.

The really crazy thing to me is that the A7RIII is running only $200-$300 more, which is probably being driven by the A7RIV being available.

I am tempted but have not decided what to do yet, if anything.

Chris2500dk

TalkEmount Rookie
I went for a Sony A7Rii recently because the price had gotten very attractive for that big 42mp sensor.
I wouldn't have upgraded for a 24mp body and I wouldn't want to pay the price of the A7Riii, so for me it was a matter of the A7Rii getting into the "too tempting to pass up" zone.

cheeks69

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Robert
A7M2 for me and it's more than enough for what I need for now , eventually I'll get the III just for the better focusing but that will have to wait.

Last edited:

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Sony's going to have to come up with some big tech breakthrough, or I'll have to break my A7RII, for me to upgrade from it. Batteries and ergonomics alone aren't going to make me open my wallet. But a retina-display EVF, another 5 stops of dynamic range, plus DWIM (Do What I Mean) focus? That would get my attention.

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
There's an Riii for sale on a board right now for $1300.
I'm really far off from being able to afford anything right now but I was almost tempted to buy and flip it and of course get a nice taste of the large sensor and third gen upgrades.
Reason kicked in and I decide to clean the garage instead.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Upgrading my A7rii isn't an option for me right now, money is a little tight. It still works as good as the day I bought it, although it certainly has cosmetic scuffs, and I'm very used to it's quirks. And damn, but it makes some good large prints.

And it has camera apps.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom