• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Which E-Mount Lens Will You Be Buying Next?

idoblu

TalkEmount Regular
For me I'm looking forward to the SEL30M35 and SEL50F18. Even without seeing more samples from these lenses, I think at these price point, I cant go wrong.
I'm definitely gonna hold off on the Zeiss 24mm due to price and samples shown so far.

I have two manual lenses (Sonnar 1.8/50 and Biogon 2.8/25) and if I were to buy the Zeiss 24mm F1.8 (purely for the AF), I think I will have to sell my Biogon to fund it.
Even though the manual lens has a great feel to it, I believe AF is important for fast street shooting

jebuskrust

TalkEmount Regular
I've seen the samples of the SEL50F18 and oh do they look lovely.
However, I think i'll wait till some more people here on the forum will make the first buy and come back with some real nice results/examples.

It's on my wishlist for Christmas :)

Junki Saita

TalkEmount Rookie
I'm really looking forward to the SEL50F18.

Realistically it might not be wide enough for it, but I'm kind of hoping to have it be my go-to lens.

The Zeiss seems really nice, but I've come to appreciate having OSS when I need it and the Zeiss may be a bit too rich for my blood.

macjim

TalkEmount Regular
I quite fancy that new Sigma lens that was shown at the trade show or, Sony's new 30mm prime lens.

Cheers, Macjim.

Bugleone

TalkEmount Veteran
None!....Sony are a dodgy company with rubbish business ethics and policies! They got the money for my basic NEX 3 against my better judgement and if there had been alternatives they would NOT have got a penny. NEX is the only Sony product that we have in the house and hopefully it will be the last. As soon as Samsung get their mirrorless act together I can dump the NEX and then hopefully aquire some Samsung lenses to go with my old glass.

macjim

TalkEmount Regular
None!....Sony are a dodgy company with rubbish business ethics and policies! They got the money for my basic NEX 3 against my better judgement and if there had been alternatives they would NOT have got a penny. NEX is the only Sony product that we have in the house and hopefully it will be the last. As soon as Samsung get their mirrorless act together I can dump the NEX and then hopefully aquire some Samsung lenses to go with my old glass.

Hmm... Well, I have never been a Sony fan although I'll admit that I've had a few radios in my time made by them. Things like hifi's, tv's and especially cameras were a no no for me, and the NEX-5/3's didn't interest me at all surprisingly. But the NEX-C3 was the camera that actually got me interested in this type of camera, as it was a nice looking camera and a compact size, but partly due to a lack of cameras in stock and with the announcement of the NEX-5N that did it for me and I had to have one. Why? Well, I had a Nikon D90, and I had problems with it within the first two years so I decided to replace it, and downsize too as I got fed up carting a heavy camera about, but I didn't want to compromise on the sensor. So, it was the NEX-5N for me and I haven't regretted it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L4RRY

TalkEmount Rookie
I think I will go for SEL50F18 and SEL55210 and then I think will be my collection whole:)

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'll get the 50 1.8 as well. I just really hope it's better than the Canon one. Not cos the one from Canon is bad, but because we have to pay 3 times the price of it (or as much as for the Canon 50 1.4). And I hope it has enough DOF for my next project ...

As for a 30mm I'll wait for a comparison of the 28 slrmagic and the 30 from Sigma and Sony.

allofthelights

TalkEmount Rookie
SEL50F18, without a doubt. Optical stabilization and autofocus is sweet to have,, and the samples look god. The CZ 24 looks nice, but it does come in at a completely different pricelevel so I'm not sure. Might venture out into manual lens territory before I make the splurge.

idoblu

TalkEmount Regular
Gonna get the 50mm next as well
I bought the 30mm macro and like it

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
idoblu: Much fun with the macro! Just for my interest: Is the build quality actually much worse than, let's say, the kit-zoom? I read some complains about it. And if you want, show us something you shot with it! We're all very interested! :)

idoblu

TalkEmount Regular
the build quality looks the same to me as the 1855 and 16. i didnt hear of any build quality before this. where did you read this?
the AF on the macro can be a bit slow at times and it does make a noise unlike the almost silent 1855.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I read it behind the link below. It says "The mount appears to be nickel plated brass instead of aluminum as on the 16mm." Way better than the plasticky lenses you can find otherwise in this price range, but if that's true, not as good as the kit lens.

Sony 30mm f/3.5 Macro SEL30M35 on NEX 3 « ERPhotoReview

The "slow" AF on the macro isn't a surprise, but for static subjects MF is the way to go anyways. The Noise isn't a problem either, because there're not many reasons why you should use it for video. It's hard to get enough light on the subjects for video close-ups, and as for the rest, the kit lens will excel it with not much slower aperture and OSS.

ItsaChris

New to TalkEmount
none. at this point i assume sony will release a pancake between 24-35mm, that makes the 50mm to short. I will look at the 50mm if sony/3rd party does not show any other short telephotos on there road map next year and if sonys next pancake is not longer than 24mm. I dont want any zooms (I would look at a lens like the 14-42mm X lens) and the 30mm macro holds no interest with out a comprehensive set of off camera flashes (and I would not buy flashes anyway as I have a full set with nikon and the nex is just my toy). so my new camera will be lonely with out any x-mass gifts.

neilvan

New to TalkEmount
Just ordered the 30mm tonight. Will get the 50mm when it becomes available.

After that, I will grab the 24mm once I sell down some other gear that isn't being used...

That said, I do have an adapter to use all of my Pentax lenses as well. ;)

Neil
http://thewarmland.com

adanac

TalkEmount Regular
At this point I'm only taking the 18-55mm kit lens to have at least one AF lens in my line up - for video, or when I'm lazy, or when I hand the camera to someone else not so keen on manual focus.

I'd like the 24mm Zeiss but have a 25mm f/2.8 Zeiss Biogon M mount, after much deliberation within my head. Whether that proves to be a keeper or not... not sure.

Contrary to some others I actually prefer manual focus lenses for "street" shooting with compact cameras as I've never (yet) used one that auto-focused quickly enough. Using Zone focus with a lens like the ZM line is pretty easy, at least I've found that when shooting film. Subjects don't have time to spot you waiting for your lens to hunt focus.

I'd like to get something wider and don't believe Sony will deliver anything I care for, at least not soon.

The one lens that has intrigued me a bit is the Sony 50mm but again I think I'm going to stay manual focus for a prime lens in that range and go with a Sonnar 50/1.5.

Rob Skoech published a series of shots made with the NEX E mount 50/1.8:

The Picture Desk: You're going to want the NEX E-mount 50mm f1.8

That's on a NEX-7. Looks pretty decent.

Latest threads

Top Bottom