1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which domain you guys recommend for my photography website?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by shaolin95, Sep 4, 2016.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello guys!
    I want to take this to the next level finally and print some business cards with a Website to show some of my work (not just a Flickr account unless that is good enough).
    Just looking for some feedback from you amigos.
    Thanks!

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I've been thinking to try a Squarespace account myself, not very expensive and interface looks easy & good. I'm a fan of Tony & Chelsea's youtube channel - they are sponsored by Squarespace and I've seen some very good portfolios there. Might worth a look :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I dislike those two. :D
    But yeah I recall they mentioning Squarespace when I used to watch their videos. I will check it out to see what they offer. Thanks for the tip! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Smugmug has been doing some really good things for photographers lately. They recently saved the photo archive of a photo website that went down in order for the users to retrieve their photos within a limited time period free of charge.

I've been thinking of building site through them, especially since they have integrated photo print services.

If you want a basic portfolio, you could always host through Tumblr and just purchase a custom domain.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    Here's a different idea than just showcasing your work on a website: a POD (print on demand) site.

You upload your images to the POD. Your images are then available for sale in whatever media they operate. They handle all the ordering and fulfillment.

You decide what you get from every sale. You can charge as much or as little as you want over their base price. You can pick and choose which media you want your products on. Plus you can have your images printed without markup when you order them yourself, so if you like their printing, you might use them over your regular printer.

You still have to market your products yourself, particularly on social media. It's an illusion to think that just because you're on a POD site, people will flock to your images automatically without promotion on your part.

I'm on Fine Art America. You can buy my prints in every configuration as well as soft goods: towels, shower curtains, tote bags and the like. They offer a 30 day money back guarantee on every product they sell. Click on my signature link to see what I'm selling and in what media.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    Just to clarify, the website is not for me thinking people will flock to it but to round up my presentation card as a more professional business. At least from my perspective, I prefer when a business/individual I am hiring, has a Website. So since that is MY personal preference, I want to have one as well for others that thing alike. :)
    I will look into your recommendation as well though.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  7. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    You're welcome. Didn't mean to suggest that you were thinking people would flock to any website you'd create. I'm talking strictly about what happens on FAA.

Lots of newcomers there seem to think that once they upload their images, people will come find their work without any further effort on their part. In reality, those that do best on FAA - or probably any POD site - are the ones who are tirelessly promoting it every day and across several different media.

FAA has something like 10,000+ artists. Your work can get lost easily in that kind of crowd. They do have internal contests and the like, but what direct effect contests have on sales is questionable. The real exposure comes from social media.

You have the option of linking your FAA account to Facebook and Twitter. Once you do, you also have the option of automatically generating a FB post or tweet every time you upload a new image. That makes it much easier to get your work out there with minimal fuss, especially if you're generating new work every day. And once your image is on FB or Twitter, you can join groups, have discussion boards, etc. to help promote it even more.

• Like Like x 1