Which cameras and lenses should I take?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AlwaysOnAuto, Jun 6, 2016.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I used to laugh to myself when I'd see this posted on another forum I participate in. Now, with a road trip to KC coming up, I can understand the dilemma. I haven't had my A7ii long enough to determine which of my old glass works best on it. I still have my NEX-7 and will be taking my D7000 for sure. I don't want to take too many and not use any because I can't make up my mind (analysis paralysis).
    I'm looking forward to this trip. I've made it before, sans camera though so am looking forward to getting some snaps along the way. I may end up taking more time on the way home than I do going as I have a deadline to get there (friend's wedding) but not for returning. I don't think my wife will even miss me so I may really meander on my way home. Have credit card will travel.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Something wide, something long, and something fast. Done. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    So I've got a Canon 35 2.8 LTM w/adapter on the Nex-7. I'll keep my 55 2.8 on the 7ii w/adapter.
    I'll take my Nikkor 50 1.4 to cover the fast as it will work on the LTM adapter, which will work on both the Sony's.
    I'll have my 18-200 on the D7k, and will take my Nikkor 24 and SE 50mm just because it's so sharp and light.
    I'll bring along a 80-200 Nikkor and the little Vivitar for up close too. That should be more than confusing enough for me to keep me out of trouble.
    I'll bring two of my ELPH's along as backups too.
    A mini tripod and the regular one, all my extra batteries and the chargers should cover it.
    Did I forget anything?
    I'll clear all my cards before leaving so I shouldn't need any 'film' along the way.

4. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    A sherpa? :p

Seriously, five cameras, seven lenses, and two tripods (unless I'm counting wrong)?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    That sounds about right, but two of the cameras are really little and so is one of the tripods.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I would worry about the bag first. I usually figure out how much I really want to carry then see what I can fit.

Usually end up with 24 or 28, 35, 55, 85, 135 primes in a shoulder bag with my a7rii

Lenses may vary but focal length stays pretty standard.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount mobile app

7. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Something borrowed, something blue :D
    +1 Im quite satisfied with my three lens aps-c setup. Could the 60/2,8 be a 70/2,0 Id be a very happy snapper. On FF id probably end up with a 20-24, 50 and something around 100mm again cause that was pretty much my setup using 24x36mm film. The idea of a 135/2 is very tempting though, that would take me back to the old days using Olympus OM1 and 2 with 28, 50 and 135mm lenses.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  8. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Last time I went on holiday I just took a 12mm, 24-70 and 70-200 + A7R2 and a Be-Free tripod. That was fine.
    I have an A6000 now as a back up body should the unthinkable happen, but all I would take extra lens wise now would be the 16-35.
    I like to keep it ALARP "As light as reasonably practicable" :D

Paul

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Almost the same here: A7R2 + grip + 4/16-35 + 4/24-70 + 4/70-200 in a slingbag, which is about the maximum I'm prepared to haul around. Photographer alert, equipment ALARP. Yep, good concept :D.

Last time I went on holiday I only knew the A7R2 for a few weeks and was a bit hesitant to take it instead of the A7: time and again I've had bad experiences with stuff that I didn't know well enough. It turned out well because I used the camera quite a lot before so it was familiar enough but I'm still on the learning curve with it, it'll take me months to really get to know what it can and can't do. Same for lenses. What I mean is, leave the thing at home if you don't feel comfortable with a camera/lens.

10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I guess I could substitute the 24-70 for the 55 1.8 which would fill the gap between 35 and 70 and provide a fast lens for low light or shallow DOF.

11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Since you're driving and not flying, I'd pack whatever you wish as long as there's room. Multiple camera bags to sort it all and to break it down for any outing. The return trip is at your pace, so plan your itinary. Sounds like you'll be going solo, you should have a great time on your way back! Definitely bring along the A7ii.

After doing a similar wedding road trip to CA wine country, I suggest a few other items in support.
    I prefer to have with me my netbook or laptop and USB drive. This way I can backup the files off the SD cards and free them up. The cards fill pretty fast especially if you shoot RAW+JPEG.
    Not all motels/hotels have a convenient number of AC outlets. So I toss a power strip in the trunk. For in-car charging, I have a 12V AC inverter, and 5V USB charger for the cigarette lighter. My a6000's in-camera charging is very convenient for roadtrips.
    GPS: Either a dedicated unit or smartphone app. There's a lot of miles between southern CA and Kansas City. And lots of things see, and unknown roads.

On my trip, I brought my native lenses and several manual lenses that covered a wide focal range. But in hindsight, I wish I had packed more lenses to have on hand to try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    "Driving vs flying" is the main point. It sounds like it will be great trip. If you have some filters you like to use and some way to deal with a little possible dust, don't forget those accessories. I look forward to seeing some images. Oh, and plan to enjoy your time.

13. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Great advice all! Thanks, it is appreciated. It's been a long time since I've been out so to speak so I'm looking forward to this trip. I will be driving and space is not a problem. I have an inverter but have never used it yet. My car does have USB ports too so that shouldn't be a problem.
    I don't have any native lenses for the Sony's, thus the D7k goes with as I trust it to get the pictures I really want. I'm excited to be using my old glass on FF with the A7ii. I'll be taking pictures like my dad and grandparents did. I was even thinking of loading up my Grannies M3 with some film and taking it along for the ride too, but then, that's more money spent developing etc that I'd rather put into gas to get to places. Yes, I'm on a shoestring budget of sorts.
    I think the biggest problem I'll face is convincing myself it's OK to stop and take pictures.
    Please keep the suggestions coming.

14. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    You have not really said what type of photos you plan to take, although if you are driving to Kansas City from Orange County I assume that the scenery is high on your priority list. Given your need to be in KC by a given date, I would assume that you will be taking the southern route through Flagstaff and Albuquerque on the way East.

In that scenario, take a couple of hours to drive south on Arizona Highway Alt 89 from Flagstaff to Sedona through Oak Creek Canyon. The photo opportunities in the Red Rock country around Sedona are well worth the time, and there is a Frank Lloyd Wright church in Sedona that is worth the diversion all by itself . (Don't miss it!) From Sedona you can catch Highway 179 over to I-17 for a quick return to I-40 to continue East.

Returning, and without a deadline to meet, come through Denver and Colorado Springs on the way to the SW corner of Colorado, where you should plan to spend at least one night in a small town called Ouray. Like Sedona, it has been discovered by the tourists, so it is not as incredible as it was 50 years ago, but it is still worthwhile. (While heading West on US 50 on the way to Ouray, take a little while to divert to the bridge over Royal Gorge. The last time I was there it had become excessively commercialized, but the bridge and the gorge itself were still worth it. Be aware that you will divert from US 50 and then turn around to come back to US50.) From Ouray, take US 550 south through Durango and Silverton - unless you get bothered by mountain driving on a good road.

To address your actual question, if you keep your eyes - and mind - open, a drive like this will give you opportunities to use almost any focal length of lens you have. Most of the time you will have very good light, so take the lenses that you like the most and don't worry excessively about lens speed except for perhaps a fast 35mm as insurance.

- Tom -

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I appreciate the tips Tom. I actually was looking at maps yesterday (paper, AAA issued) and changed my mind on which way to go to get there. I was planning on going I-15 to I-70 and straight east. Then I started looking at the route you described. I may leave a day earlier than originally planned just so I have some photo time on the way east.
    Coming back I was thinking that is the time I'd hit Moab and Arches (was there in '92, sans camera) just for some sight seeing.
    I'll take a look at the map some more today and check out your route.
    Thanks!

16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hey, if you've got the time, stick to back roads all the way. And take a motorcycle. :D

_DSC2208.

• Like Like x 4
  17. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    David, at one point in my life I would have considered doing that but I admit, I've become old and soft and will enjoy riding in my car with the A/C keeping me cool, the cruise control keeping me safe from smoky, and the stereo playing all sorts of stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, I'm turning 60 on Friday. But clearly you have more wisdom than I do. :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I used to ride, a long time ago it seems now. The driver's are too crazy now for me to even consider getting on a bike again. To prove my point, visitors of the people across the street just ran into my neighbor's garage with their car!

• Funny Funny x 2