1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which body for low light photography?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by adwb, Sep 30, 2015.

1. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    I have a friend who's passion for Photography leads her into night clubs , concerts, bars, and soon.

All very poorly lit and although she had permission to work there and is indeed invited, she still likes to keep her presence as unobtrusive as possible , so, no flash.

I suggest she look at the A7s but now with the advent of the 7rII and the soon to be released ,I gather, 7sII what should she now look at?

I assume that the 7s variants would not be so all round usable as a 7r but would they be better for her night work?

Comment and suggestions please every one
    Thanks Alistair

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I shoot a lot of low light. I have used every a7 body so far but the unreleased a7sii. They all work pretty well, a7ii and the Rii are the easiest to use because of the stabilization. A7s has the most clean files but you have no cropping ability compared to the others. budget wise, you can pick up a used a7s for around the same as the a7ii. I would tell her to rent both cameras and try them.

A7s lasted the least amount in my hands. Maybe had it a week.

Just my opinion.

3. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    It depends, it is a compromise exercise, as always. The A7S has very good high ISO performance, but how often will she need to go above ISO 6400? At ISO 6400, my A7 or A7MKII give me very good prints say up to A3 size.

The A7S has a lower resolution sensor compared to its brethren, it is more suitable to shoot video.

A good lens for what she wants would be the FE 28 f2, btw.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Either should be fine. It is more the lens that matters.

5. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    I have both the A7R MII and the A7S.

My vote goes to the A7R MII, the 42mp backlit sensor is astounding, and the cropping capability is incredible, and IQ is top of the pack, and all she needs is the cheapo Sony 28mm f/2 prime.

This was shot at ISO1000 with the A7R MII and 28mm f/2

m-168.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    I was walking and saw this doggy posing and fired off a shot before he ran off, this shot was in very dark conditions, the camera was able to lock focus and fire, though a very dark image.

m-169.

Here is that same image with the shadows raised and some brightness added, no noise reduction was done. This is what the A7R MII backlit sensor can give you in post.

m-170.

• Like Like x 7
  7. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Thank you everyone, I will forward all your comments on to her.