Which adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by teefin1, Oct 24, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Morning all, this probably is a stupid question, but I'm looking for an adapter for Helios 44m on eBay. One reads NEX - M42 42mm, another just NEX - M42 (or the other way round). What would b the difference between them and which would be correct?

Many thanks
  2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    They should be the same teefin1... get the one that has a better build quality. If you want to be sure, ask the seller if your Helios will fit...
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    NEX to M42 adapters are all pretty decent. They're not terribly complicated. I have noticed that you can buy them with and without flanges that disable the Manual/Auto aperture switch on lenses that have them (leaving it permanently in manual while mounted).
  4. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks to you both. I've ordered the (wrong) Helios and the correct m42 adapter I hope!

5. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Good luck, I've just got myself the exact same combo of Helios 44-2 and M42 / NEX adapter. The 42mm just refers to the 42mm thread of the M42 mount that's all - all M42 adapters are threaded the same, it's just that some are manufactured to higher tolerances and tend to have less focusing issues at infinity. Personally, I think infinity is overrated - as long as the adapter is cheap, it will be in my bag :)

NEX and Helios 44-2 with £8.99 adapter :-

Sony NEX / Helios 44-2 test by markoneswift, on Flickr
  6. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks markoneswift, my adapter was £8.99 also, shipped today so looking forward to experiencing first manual lens! You pic is great, lovely colour rendition....hope mine's a good copy :)
  7. asimkalkan

asimkalkan TalkEmount Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Actually my advice is. Buy a EOS to NEX adapter. And later buy all the eos adapters. t will be cheaper
  8. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    EOS has too long a registration distance. Not all other lenses can be adapted to EOS and still keep infinity focus. Individual adapters are usually the way to go, although some can be easily combined. Such as Leica LTM -> Leica M -> NEX versus just LTM -> NEX.
  9. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Er actually no, don't do that. EOS lenses all have electronic interfaces that control AF / aperture / IS ( if fitted ) etc. The only adapters I have seen for these lenses require an aperture actually built in to the adapter. The lens would physically work but you will not have all the control you would have with say a Helios or Canon FD etc.