1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which adapter brand

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Xterra, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    There are soooooo many....
    which did you guys choose and why?
    Looking for M mount to E mount but Metabones vs Novoflex vs Voigtlander vs others????

2. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I use cheap $10 eBay adaptor for all my adapted lens. I've had Minolta MD, Konica and Leica M. The only issue I've ever had was some light leak when using dark ND filters such as ND400 or 1000. I solved this by stealing some of the wifes black elastic hair bands. Put a band over the join and no more leak, 10 cent fix. Probably helps to seal out dust as well.

I brought this close focus adaptor from Ebay, Tinray LM-NEX Leica M Lens to Sony E Mount Macro Brass Close Focus Adapter A7. It's well build, all brass with a smooth well weighted helicoid. Looks like a ripoff of the Voigtlander one. Only thing missing is a lock for the helicoid. Although it's well weighted I have moved it by accident. The tiniest movement of the helicoid will throw out normal focus. As a result I use the cheap non helicoid adaptor most of the time now and just keep this in my bag.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Reciprocity Failure

Reciprocity Failure TalkEmount Regular

Dec 25, 2015
    Bryan
    I have several from Fotodiox.... M-mount, M42 screw mount, M39 LTM mount, and Nikon F mount. They're OK, they're inexpensive and they ship fast. All however focus beyond infinity which is annoying but its better than the alternative - having it stop just short of infinity!

4. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    I use the Kiwifotos adapters ($50-ish) for M Mount and Nikon F mount lenses on my NEX. They seem well built, and my lenses focus correctly at infinity.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    When I need one, I buy a Chinese knock-off, Pixco branded if I can find one and if not, anything that looks OK. Apart from that, I'm watching a local auction site for good deals on second-hand Novoflex adapters with a mount I'm probably going to use in the future.

6. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I've got all sorts of adapters - Novoflex, Metabones, Fotodiox, Kiwi, Fotga, no-name chinese stuff ...
    Some of them are better built than others but there's not that much of a difference in my collection tolerance wise, even between some expensive Novoflex and my el-cheapos. Just make sure to get something that lets you focus at or beyond infinity; some of my older, cheap chinese adapters are just a tad too long but if you happen to know someone with a lathe :D ...
    Something else to watch for are internal reflections, but some matte black paint or felt can take care of that.

7. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I bought only two brands, Metabones and Voigtlander. Of the two, the Metabones is not nearly as well made as the Voigtlander. Perhaps I have a poor, unrepresentative Metabones.

However, I inherited a bunch of adapters from my Dad. Brands are all over the place. I stack adapters (mixing brands) often with no problems.

Everything seems to work well.

8. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    So I sprung for the Voigtländer VM to E Mount (US$179) But received the Voitländer type I vs the new released version type II from B&H. I sent it back to B&H as the version I seems a bit lose.
    Ordered the VM to E mount II from Cameraquest and its a much better adapter!
    Ensure you get the version or Type II adapter from Voigtlander!
    So far Im happy with the 15mm 4.5 III Voigtlander.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016