Which 100mm lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WT21, Jun 8, 2014.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I'm looking for a nice 100mm legacy/MF lens.

My preferences are:

• faster aperture
    • sharper wide open
    • lower ca/pf
    • closer focusing, or macro is a bonus

I already have adapters for MD and M42 (including speed boosters), so I'd prefer those mounts, but would consider others.

Anyone got a ~100mm lens recommendation that they just love wide open?
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    The Olympus OM 100s seem to get rave reviews. There's both a 2.0 and a 2.8 I believe. They seem to be smaller than their period competitors as well. No personal experience, just what I've read.
  3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
  4. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    Maxxum 100 2.8 amazing lens. Perfect as a mid range tele and ridiculous macro. It is the near equal of my 200 2.8.
    You will need a EA4 or EA2 depending on which E mount camera you have.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Kiron 105mm f/2.8 Macro, 1:1 macro

also appear as
    Lester Dine 105mm f/2.8 Macro
    Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.8 Macro
    Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro

A little heavy though. For tele, I like Nikon 105mm f/2.5, Canon FD 100mm f/2.0, and Nikon Series E 100mm f/2.8.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
  7. Damovich

Damovich TalkEmount Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    You might want to look into the Minolta MD 135mm f2.8, which would be at +-100mm f2 when used in combination with the focal reducer. Its a relatively fast lens, sharp wide open (atleast my copy is), has great contrast to it and is to be had at bargain prices.
  8. oylo

oylo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2012
    I like the Olympus 100m 2.8! A great little lens with high quality! Very good lenses to get cheap on ebay.

1/500 and f:4

1/1000 and f:4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    The best 100mm manual focus lens I've tried so far is, by far, the Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm f/2. It only reaches a maximum magnification of 1:2, but it's relatively fast, has a great focus ring and is sharp as hell - especially wide open. It's available in Nikon and Canon mounts, so a speed booster is an option, although if you want to use one, I'd recommend the new "perfect" speed booster which will be released soon, not some cheapo lens turbo which might or might not have a negative impact on the image quality.
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Looking good, nice results
  11. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I ended up getting an MD 100/2.5, which is working pretty well. I am sure the Zeiss 100mm is best, but I can't quite afford that.
  12. Yanesan

Yanesan New to TalkEmount

Jun 28, 2014
    Columbia, SC
    I recently acquired a MD Rokkor 100mmf2.5 that I really like so far, used with a Fotasy adapter. The MC Rokkor 135mm/3.5 is also nice if not quite as fast.
  13. inuini2005

inuini2005 New to TalkEmount

Jul 2, 2014
    I am not sure if 100mm is a fixed requirement.
    The only 100mm lens I have is the Olympus 100mm F2 ED.
    As some suggested, this lens is one of the best 100mm lenses ever made.
    Also in a reply above, the Zeiss 100mm was mentioned, I have no experience with that but I think it's definitely a gem.
    Search on google, you can see a comparison between the two and some other 100mm lenses, then you can decide what fits you.
    For me, I think the lens is very sharp wide open, it has an ED element and close-focusing correction mechanism, with minimum focusing distance of 0.7m.
    It weighs around 520g if I remember correctly, feels solid in the hands.
    The link provided, I think the lens is asking for a decent price, considered it has the box. It usually goes around 1200 to 1300USD.
    Apart from the 100mm, I would also suggest the OM 90mm F2 Macro, one of the best 90mm lenses ever made, this claim has more support I believe.
    It is one of the sharpest lenses in the OM system, at around similar price range and weigh but provides Macro ability up to 1:2 reproduction rate. With extension tubes 7, 14 and 25 you can reach 1:1. It can be a portrait lens, but maybe a bit too sharp sometimes. Also, the focus ring has a long distance to go, mainly falling onto the macro range, so some say the 100 feels better than the 90 in practical daily uses. The two are indeed very sharp, though the tones presented are different.
    Get this 100mm F2 ED, you won't regret.
    They don't show up often in the market. The 90 shows up slightly more frequent when compared.
    I am a Zuikoholic LOL

You can also consider the Canon 100 F2 LTM, I wish I could get one, I only heard some good things about it.

OM 100mm F2 ED on A7R

OM 90mm F2 Macro on A7R

• Like Like x 3
  14. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Also tagging in here as want to follow this thread;
    I had the Canon EOS 100mm f/2 and it was very good before clearing out my Canon gear. I'm eyeballing the Canon 100mm f/2 FD. Also looking at rangefinder lenses in the same range as I like the thought of smaller adaptor for overall smaller package.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Rollin

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  16. Rollin

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  17. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I just got one because I found it at a good price and was going to sell it back but now I fell in love with it! :D

Even when wide open it is super sharp. I will be doing more shooting with it this weekend. The sample picture of my wife on the backyard was not fully open I think...just a bit stopped down unless I am forgetting my settings...damn you EXIF! :D
    You can see the full size here as somehow it looses some sparkle when posted:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4