Where's Baldo?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Bimjo, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Apologies to the makers of "Where's Waldo", but it seemed to fit the subject. ;)

So there I was on a beautiful winter afternoon trying out the new CV28 in the park and I came across a small crowd staring up into this tree. "what the heck are they staring at?" I wonders to myself. Self says lets go look. So we went. And we looked. And we saw this-

eagle130127_01.

What is that high in that tree? Looks kinda birdlike. Hmmmm… let's zoom in a bit.

eagle130127_02.

Oh look kiddies, it's Baldo the bald eagle! Isn't that cool? There are actually a few nesting pairs here, though they are pretty uncommon this close to town. Usually they hang out farther upriver. No idea where this one is from or where it's going, but it was neat to see it from just under 100 yards away. The 55-210 just wasn't enough lens, but it's all I had. There was a guy trying to hand-hold what looked like a 200-500 on a dslr not far away. Not sure if he had any luck. I had the 5N on the tripod and I got tired just watching him. And then to top it all off as I was leaving somebody pulled up and hopped out of his car and held the Apple Floor tile up to get a shot. I just shook my head and laughed as I left.

Here's a pretty heavy crop to show you what might have been with a longer lens. Actually it really isn't too bad considering the distance and how much it's cropped.

eagle130127_03.

I got a lot more, but he wasn't moving anything but his head and they are all variation on a theme. Maybe I'll find one in a shorter tree next time. ;)

Here's a final crop, nothing but bird.

eagle130127_04.

Attached Files:

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Cool shots and I'm impressed at the crops.

3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yeah for sure. Great stuff.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Wow, I was surprised when I saw your images, I think I read it somewhere that the Bald Eagle was extinct.

5. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Protected but not extinct. We have lots of them here in West Virginia.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks guys, it was a very pleasant surprise to see this bird and a pleasant surprise the shots turned out as well as they did considering how under-gunned I was. :)

7. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Great pictures and great luck for having this unblocked view at this natural majesty and beauty :)

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No kidding! That "pretty heavy crop" is amazing. To get that much detail from a 28 from that distance? Wow!

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, these were taken with the SEL55210, not the 28. I'd be loving it if I could get a crop like that from a 28 at that distance. Never sell this lens, never sell this lens, never sell this lens! LOL

Even being shot at 210mm I'm still impressed with the crop. Not enough to try to print it large, but it still held together pretty well I think. :)

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thank you, and yes-great luck. Usually when I try to shoot birds in trees all I get is tree limbs. ;)

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    D'oh! Reading comprehension is not my strong suit. :rolleyes:

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    A matched pair! Writing coherent sentences sometimes kicks my hiney. :p