1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

where can I find info for a portrait lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jcasillas08, Apr 7, 2015.

1. jcasillas08

jcasillas08 TalkEmount Regular

May 29, 2013
    Yup another newb. Just starting to shoot in manual. I have a Sony NEX 5R and recently purchased a Sony A6000. Anyways want a more sharper lens for portrait shots and was recommended the cheap priced Minolta 50mm 1.7 and a few others. I know I would need some sort of adapters for it to work. Any info links to read would be great! Thanks!

2. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    Cheap adapters can be found on Ebay or Amazon. Just search for Minolta to NEX adapters.

3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Might want to look at this site: https://www.fotodioxpro.com/

I use their adapters on all my legacy lenses. I actually don't even have any Sony glass for my Nex.

4. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    Is the Minolta 50mm 1:1 F1.7 good compatible lens with a adapter?

5. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    It's an excellent choice for a first legacy prime. It was mine. It's nice wide open, and very sharp when stopped down just a bit. The bokeh is neutral. In other words, points of light out of focus will be circles (or hexagons if stopped down), but won't have harsh outlines. Decent adapters can be found for $10. Read some of the threads on manual focusing technique.
    Even if you are considering eventually getting Sony's 50mm f/1.8, playing with an inexpensive legacy lens for a while might help you decide if that's the best focal length for you.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Brian Smith covers the topic of adaptors well I think: http://briansmith.com/gear/sony-lens-adapters/

The Rokkor 50mm 1.7 make for a good inexpensive portrait lens on the APC-S Alphas. If you want to spend more I can also recommend the 50mm 1.4 Rokkor.

7. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    Awesome I'll read it for sure. Did read somewhere that on some you can keep auto focus.

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If you really want cheap, look out for a Minolta MD 50mm 1:2. It often sits on Minolta X-whatever cameras as it was the budget lens in that era. Excellent image quality once stopped down a little and even useable wide-open.
    20110703-068-M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    Thank you. I was actually just looking at that one. What is usually price ranges for these lenses? Most I see between the $10-$40 range.

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Don't know about the USA, but here in The Netherlands I'd not pay more than € 15 and I'm sure I'd be able to get one for € 10 if patient.

11. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I purchased a 50mm F1.7 MC ROKKOR-X PF (55) from KEH for US$23 about 18 months ago. It was marked as EX and I agree with their assessment. I just checked and they have them for $27 to $41 now. I have purchased several lens from KEH and all were graded accurately. The 50mm f5 Ad mentions is from $10 to $27. Plus postage. Hope that helps. PS, I have no affiliation with KEH other than as a satisfied customer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    What's keh? I'm usually looking on amazon or ebay since this forum had been great help so far for the little time I have through different threads.

13. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    www.keh.com
    You can search by mount or other options.

14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Wow, these guys have a mouth-watering slew of Minolta lenses. Some are expensive, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    You can also try something like Craigslist locally. I've been able to score some pretty good lenses for very little money through classifieds in the past.

Minolta 55mm 1.7 is also another pretty good lens if you happen to come across one.

16. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    The Rokkor 45mm f/2 is another good budget prime. But it has a 5-blade aperture (instead of 6). Wide open that makes no difference, but when stopped down everything out of focus is convolved with a pentangle (instead of a hexagon). That can make bokeh a little strange, when stopped down.
    By the way, Sony's 18-55mm and 16-50 zooms have 7-blade apertures. You'd need to spend serious money for a Minolta lens with more than 6-blades. E.g., the Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 has 8-blades.

17. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I have a Pentax 50mm 1:2 that I would sell if you want it (I'm a Pentax lover as well as a Minolta lover). $20 plus shipping. I accidentally bought it off Ebay. It was a total lapse in brain activity. I already have the 1.7 and 1.4, so it seems a bit much to have this one as well ;) Here's the rating (I go here for the ratings on all my lenses) http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-50mm-F2-Lens.html

Here's the link to it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161635778466?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    If you are at all interested, I can take shots with it tonight. I did take a few when I first got it and they were great.

For portrait, I would get the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm 1.4 though. I got it for Christmas sent to me by my parents and I love it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Samyang-SY85M...id=1428507343&sr=8-3&keywords=samyang+85mm+14
    Shots below from my Samyang
    15746380583_1c6b0446db_b. samyang 85BW 1.25.15-1 by Stevsh, on Flickr
    16209644662_18f0a0d074_b. BlueDoggy-1.04.15-8300 by Stevsh, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  18. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    A 50mm lens on an APS-C crops to the field of view of a 75mm lens on a full frame camera. Since the OP has a NEX-5R the 50mm lens isn't a bad choice for portraits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    I have a 5R and A6000

20. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I agree with Ad, the Minolta MD 50mm f/2 is a great starter lens. It was the default lens on my mother's X-700 that I borrowed/inherited and is the lens that got me started with Minolta MD/MC/SR-mount lenses. One of my favorite shots of my dear dog Darci was taken with it.

And Barry's (Snowy) tip about KEH.com is a great one. Almost every legacy lens I've picked up in the last year and a half has come from them. And I have a Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 300mm f/5.6 on the way from them even as I type this. Their rating system for condition of the lenses is good and reliable (unlike some sellers on eBay). The only downside - other than being US-centric - is that their shipping charges are not cheap... there is no free shipping except during special promotions. I've typically had to pay about $11 for shipping from their Georgia HQ to my DC-area home. Not too bad, especially when your purchase is over $50, but it can seem high if all you are getting is a $17 lens. However, if you get multiple items - like two lenses and extra front and rear lens caps (not all of their lenses come with caps) - the shipping seems to stay the same unless you add large objects like camera bodies.

Here's a direct link to their Minolta MD/MC/SR-mount collection:
    https://www.keh.com/search/list?pmnt=Minolta+MD,+MC,+&+R

(Oh, and like Barry, I have no affiliation with KEH other than being a satisfied customer.)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1