1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

When do you auto focus?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Aug 23, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I wanted to ask you when
    a. you switch to auto focus
    and
    b. which auto focus mode you are using. What about the flexible spot?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards
    Alex

2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I tend to use DMF with the flexible spot. Depending on how lazy I am, I focus and recompose versus moving the spot.

But it sure comes in real handy when you are using a tripod, or give the camera to some stranger to take your picture.

Here, put the little square over my face and press the button. They get the framing you want, and the focus you want. Don't have to try and explain to them how to half-press, hold, and re-compose.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Depends on what you shoot. Usually, it's always best to use a tripod and magnified live view to manually focus. If you can't or don't want focus manually for some reason, it's often best to use center focus and recomposing after focusing. Why? It's faster than fiddling around with the flexible spot and less prone to errors than the multi field focusing. Still, if you use a very fast lens it's always best to manually focus, no matter what.

4. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Well, when you have a touch screen model, you can just set flexible spot where you want it.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've mentioned before, when just goofing around and having fun, I almost exclusively use one of my manual lenses, almost always in "S" mode. Then I am taking my time, getting the "perfect" shot.

When I attend a family function or similar event, I usually grab one of my AF Sigma's and use one of the SCN modes. I don't want to be thinking too much on getting the ISO right, what aperture I am in etc. I just want to get the shot, and get back to the party.