When Buying "new", native or adapted?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by soeren, Jul 9, 2015.

1. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Coming from Nikon obviously the first thing to get for my A6000 was ofcource the F to E-mount adapter, well that is, the lensbaby tilt transformer made it first :)
    Now when looking at e.g. samyang lenses especially the 135mm f/2 or the lensbaby velvet 56 I start to wonder if I should go all in and buy the E-mount versions or maybe think more versatile and go for Nikon F mount for my analog cameras (and maybe one day a digital one never knows) with the ability to use them on the Sony's with either the tilt transformer or the plain F to E-mount adapter.
    Have you guys/girls done the same thinking? If so what are your conclusions
    Best regards
    Søren

2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I have an a6000, and a manual focus film camera collection. I've stuck with one mount (Minolta SR) for all my manual focus lenses, so I can use them on all my cameras film and digital. I also went for a speed booster, I only need one and I can get full frame field of view.

Moral of the story, if you like Nikon F mount for analog then I say stick with it. Though the Nikon lenses do tend to be more expensive than the obsolete mounts like Minolta and Canon FD.

Lens baby velvet seems a bit weird to me, don't know why you'd spend so much on a lens imitating an old, flawed lens when you can get the real thing for much cheaper.

3. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Thanks for the ansver Jai
    Hmm Maybe a neural meltdown :)
    Which one would you recommend then?

4. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Toss a coin? Really, how can we decide for you? If you do not plan to use the lenses in another mount in the future, buy the native Sony mount. If you plan to use the lenses in another mount in the future, buy the respective mount.
    Simple...

5. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nobody can answer that for you; it really depends on what you're after. I have a couple of native lenses left for my NEX-7 but mainly use it with legacy glass, mostly Zeiss. Some native lenses I can recommend for the A6000 are the SEL24f18Z, the SEL35f18, the relatively cheap 30mm and 19mm Sigmas because they pretty much represent the top performers in their respective FL range and come with AF and optical image stabilisation in case of the SEL35f18. The SEL50f18 is an excellent lens too, not to expensive, has OIS but there are hundreds of cheaper alternatives (nifty-fifties) if you don't need the stabilisation and AF. I personally don't care too much (if at all) about Sony's zoom offerings for the NEX/A.... line, except for the SEL1018, but maybe that's just me.

6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Ok so if that is the kind of look you'd like, I would recommend the Pentax Takumar 55 F1.8. There are several versions, mine is M42 mount but there is also K mount. Soft wide open, but magical Bokeh. Old Pentax lenses are built better than just about anything you can imagine, I'm guessing better than the lens baby. You can get one for around $50.

I could also mention the Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm F1.4, but as I said, maybe look at Nikon's equivalent and stick to one mount.

For the price of a lens baby velvet you could even get a Minolta MC Rokkor F1.2. You can see, I am obsessed with Rokkors! But Pentax, Nikon, Canon FD, Olympus OM are all good choices.

7. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Thanks for the suggestions Jai, Ill take a look at those.

Well back on track.
    This wasn't supposed to be about what I should do. I know that's my decision. Rather a look into your thoughts and your choices.
    Do you go all in on that one mount or do you buy lenses for dual purposes e.g. Canon-Sony or...........
    Do you keep a DSLR and use those lenses for your CSC too? Or maybe even an analog camera :eek-30:

8. Nexnut

Now, that's clearer. At the moment I use two different APS-C systems - Sony and Fuji. I mainly use the NEX-7 ('digital back') for some job related long-term projects with a mix of MF lenses (Zeiss, Nikon, Olympus, ...) and some native e-mount glass. Once in a while I use the same legacy lenses on the X-Pro1 but since I mostly use the Fuji for documentary stuff I prefer to shoot it with native Fuji XF glass (in manual focusing mode).
    I have some film cameras left (135 Nikons and OMs and Fuji MF) but haven't used them in a while.

9. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Nex-7 Digital back :) I like that :thumbup:
    Thanks

10. Nexnut

Welcome. I'm on my third NEX-7 since it came out. Returned the first copy due to some technical problems, the second one because it sucked in low-light ( the third copy is no better) but since I see and mainly use it as a 24MP, ISO100-200 digital back it's there to stay. I thought about replacing it with an A7... more than once but regarding the stuff I primarily use the N7 for the 'upgrade' just wouldn't make any sense. Same goes for the X-Pro1. While many Fuji folks can't wait for the successor to that snapper (24+ MP, ...) I have everything I really need and will continue to shoot it until it dies or falls apart.
    To each one his/her own. Back OT ;)

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have three native Auto Focus Lenses and three older Manual Focus Lenses. Each has its own purpose.

I love the quick focusing presented by the A6000 and native lenses, quite a treat. However, sometimes it is nice to slow down a bit and do some work with the manual focus lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Hmm I have one native AF lens, two F-E mount adapters and around seven Nikors :hmmm: