What's your favorite tripod?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Poki, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    It was time for me to buy a new tripod for outdoor shooting. I decided for a Manfrotto Compact Photo Kit (MKC3-P01) - 169cm max height, less than 40cm when not in use, a (hopefully solid) ball head and very lightweight yet able to support a camera up to 1.5 kg, which should be enough for most NEX/lens-combos.

Originally I wanted to go for a more solid and more expensive one, like the 294 Series - but there's not a single model which extends to more than 155cm height (I need about 157 to get the EVF comfortably to my eye) and they're all heavier and bigger in the backpack. In addition, I have a Manfrotto pocket tripod for situations I need to go low, which was pretty expensive for what it is (44€ I think), but it's solid as hell.

So which Tripod do you use in which situation and why exactly this model?
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I use the Benro carbon fibre travel angel C2691TB1 with a ball head. I rarely use it but when I bought it I decided to invest in one that will last me for years. The tripod itself is every bit as good as a Manfrotto or a Gitzo but slightly cheaper. It's carbon fibre so it's quite light and absorbs more vibration. The max height extended is 166cm, 45cm fully folded and it's able to support up to 12 kg, but the main reason I bought the tripod is that it also converts into a monopod without the use of tools. The monopod itself is quite light being made of carbon fibre and I can use it as is or use it with the ball head with arca swiss plates. I tend to just carry the monopod if I'm shooting with a telephoto, and the entire tripod if I'm shooting long exposures in the evening.
  3. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Poki how you getting on with that tripod? I'm on the lookout, critically it has to fit my bag - dims it supports are:-

Height 48cm, Leg perimeter 30cm, Head base perimeter 29cm and weight 2kg.
  4. Ray Vardy

Wow nice tripod, out of my budget and probably over specified for my needs. :)
  5. Ray Vardy

So I got my tripod today :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    @Ray Vardy: Did you also get the Manfrotto one I own? If so, have much fun with it! I still love it, although the really hard test has yet to come in 2 weeks. :)
  7. Ray Vardy

Yeah I got the H02 :)

Perfect fit for my kata bag, took it out today for a few hours, love the hand grip, a little disappointed with the side lock (that allows you to flip the camera on its side) as there is 2mm gap at either end which as you track left or right you hit causing a brief pause in movement. Not sure if that will show in a sweep panoramic shot..

Anyway despite that I really think for my 1st tripod it's perfect, cheap, light weight and handles the nex just fine. Really glad I bought it.
  8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Yep, the specs are really amazing for its price. I hope it's sturdy enough for shooting long exposure seascapes when it's a bit windy, but I'll see soon.

After all, I'm not willing to spend 600 bucks on a tripod as long as I don't earn anything with photography, and as I don't plan to earn something with it in the near future, I'll just stick with my cheap but nice tripod. One thing I'd like to have, however, are these legs which you can unlock by just screwing them out - saves some time out there.