1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What's on my sensor?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by GrubeD, Feb 29, 2016.

1. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    Before I take my camera in to have the sensor cleaned, I thought maybe I would ask to see if anyone has ever seen anything like this? [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Maybe it's just me, but the picture does not appear to be accessible to me.

3. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    I know...I can't get it to upload the image

I put the link to it on flickr below...can you see that?

4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Can't see anything either...and clicking on the Yahoo login gets an invalid link

5. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    sorry I can't see a sample image link

6. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    I updated it...let me know if you can see it now

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I can see the image. It looks like someone tried to blow dust off the sensor and ended up spitting on it. Bad idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    That would be weird since I am the only one who uses the camera and I know better than to blow on it...whatever it is, it won't come off with a lens brush (not dust)

9. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I can see it now. Yuck. :)
    I have not seen that myself, but something was either blown as suggested, or somehow dripped on there. It is not difficult to clean the sensor glass yourself, but by all means take it in if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. I would not wait, who knows what it is and though doubtful it could be corrosive or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, if you're the only one who uses the camera, and you didn't blow on it, then its appearance is a mystery. But it sure looks like a dried drop of some kind of liquid to me. And aside from the drop, that sensor looks fairly dirty. Were you changing lenses in an environment with a lot of dust and other contaminants?

11. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    I agree with woodWorks , looks very dirty and that looks like dried blob of something, if you don't have the kit or the experience to wet clean then take in to somebody to do it for you.

two tips, might help in the future, turn the camera off before removing the lens, apparently helps to remove static from the sensor glass, and hold the camera with the lens facing the ground when changing lenses to cut down on dust ingress.

12. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Definitely looks like a dried drop of liquid - much more drastic than your average stubborn chunk of dust (perhaps the photo makes it look worse than it really is - hope that's the case). If that were my camera I'd give it a couple of good passes with a wet cleaning kit. (Though apparently that's discouraged on the Mark II models with IBIS?)
    If you can't take that on yourself, hopefully a pro (with IBIS experience) can make short work of it. Good luck!

13. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    I am guessing that something must have gotten on there when I was out walking and changed lenses...I am usually very careful and turn off the camera every time I switch lenses...

14. GrubeD

GrubeD TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 22, 2016
    Daniel Grube
    Yeah. I have only used a lens brush thinking it was just some kind of dust...I have been thinking of ordering a wet cleaning kit but I need it ASAP. I may take it up to Roberts and splurge for the $35 cleaning...

15. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    just get your self a wet cleaning kit and CAREFULLY clean it out !

16. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Whatever it is, I'd remove it or have someone else doing the job ASAP.
    If you don't want to do it yourself I'd take the chance to watch that someone cleaning your sensor. It's no big deal as long as you have the right tools and cleaner, don't scrub and/or apply any excessive pressure and use too much of the cleaning liquid; a little drop goes a long way. In case of that spot on your sensor I'd repeatedly add a tiny droplet of some sensor cleaner and after some seconds take it up with a fresh lint-free q-tip. Use ever so slight movements and as little pressure as possible.
    (Back in the lab we used lint free q-tips, moistened with special optics cleaner to remove all sorts of spots from highly sensitive $20k lenses, but I guess we knew what we were doing. These days I'm using Eclipse and lint-free Pec-Pads from photosol.inc for my sensors but primarily I take great care not to collect any crap on them.)

17. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Ken - What about the IBIS issue? Just curious, because everyone is saying to clean it, but I heard you can do serious damage to the floating sensor if you are not careful. Is this just exaggeration?

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    FWIW.. I had to clean my A7 sensor a yr ago because of dust. Got swab too close to the sensor edge, picked up oil, and added it to the mix. :cautious: Sensor Swab brand couldn't remove the oil so I went with a Visibledust EZ kit and VDust Plus solution which worked perfect.

19. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

No, you have to know what you're doing and everyone's doing it at his/her own risk. As I've mentioned above, as little pressure as possible, no scrubbing, rubbing, etc..., the right technique comes with experience.
    Daniel mentioned he can have the sensor cleaned for $35, that's a lot cheaper than a new sensor assembly or even the replacement of the top filter.

BTW, here's an update on the cleaner front:
    Cleaning Digital Cameras - Photosol, Inc. -

20. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Wait. What's this about not using wet kits in the mk2's?