What's old is new again...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Lonnie Utah, May 15, 2013.

1. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 29, 2013
    I've been signed up for a couple of weeks and haven't really posted anything and was feeling guilty. So Ok, this is technically a repost from another forum, but I have tweaked it enough to make it interesting to the group here. :)

As the old saying in fashion goes, what's old is new again.

My first SLR was an Olympus OM 10. I've got a bunch of lenses for it, most of them aren't very good. A while ago, I got the Zuiko 135mm f/3.5 off ebay for about $20. I think I'm going to like this one, 200mm equlv on the nex.

And a quick pic of our dog mango (she was the only one in the house that was awake or would stand still for me. NEX-5, Right out of cam jpg, 0 post (a little soft at 100% I'll chalk it up to operator error).

I also have my old 50 f/1.8 that I have maninly been using.

And another mango ( NEX-5, 6400 iso out of cam jpg...)

And one last one from my NEX-7 and the 50 f1/.8.
    (Sony NEX-7, f/1.8, 1/400 sec, ISO 100, Zuiko 50mm)

I can't tell everyone how much fun I've had using the NEX this way.

As a side note: I as part of my olympus system I also had an old sunpak 333 flash. Full power - 1/16 and 35-135mm extender. I recently bought a couple of "cheap ebay wireless triggers". Since the ones I got are for the minolta/sony hot shoe (so they'll work on my NEX-7 but not my NEX-5), they won't work with my old sunpak with an iso hotshoe. However, the triggers have a 3/32 out so you can fire studio lights. That got my brain to working. I know that most (all?) flashes trigger by shorting the two contact on the hot shoe. So, I wondered if I could take a mono 1/8 phono jack and wire it to take the 1/8 male from the wireless trigger. Worse case, I brick a 25 year old flash...

So I pulled the base off the sunpak, and did some poking around. After a while, I was able to find the two wires that trigger the flash. With some salvaged wire from some old computer parts, and a little soldering, I was able to get the jack wired.

Here is the jack installed...

and the result, SUCCESS!!!

Ok, I really did this twice. I did it first with a 3/32" jack then I switched it out to a 1/8" after I remembered that the size of the cable that came with the triggers wasn't the same on each end. So for $6 in parts from Radio Shack, I now have a 25 year old flash that I can use with my wireless triggers. Reduce, reuse, recycle! :D

So I have 4 old minolta flashes, two sigmas, and the sunpak and 6 triggers. The siggy's will only trigger optically (which is good in some respect (somehow they know when they're not on the camera and on a tirgger), and the sunpak is technically a spare. I have no idea how or why I'd use so many flashes at one, but that isn't the point. The point is this was a fun Saturday PM project. Oh, and the triggers will also attach to and trigger my A900 and my a200 remotely, up to about 100 yards. That's pretty sweet. I'm also pretty sure that I can take one of the cheap IR remotes off Ebay and rig them to fire my two NEx's at that range. I guess that's my next project. Stay tuned... :D
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Nice work, but not for everyone.
  4. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, I should have added that the capacitors in flashes can be a little dangerous to work with if you don't fully discharge them...
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Makes my electronic heart beat faster! :thumbup: