1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What's next? What lens should I get?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by mesmerized, Jul 2, 2018.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized TalkEmount Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    Hello there.

Ever since I've abandoned m43 I find myself a bit lost as far as lenses are concerned. I think that over the years I got really used to to a huge variety of affordable lenses that m43 provided the users with. Now, I'm with Sony and it will take time to adapt... I have two lenses:

- Samyang 35mm f/2.8 (because it's affordable and small)
    - Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 (because it's the closest thing to the regular nifty-fifty, albeit pricey)

Now... I used to use the Olympus 75mm a lot for portraits. It was ideal for candid portraits taken from afar. Lots of nice shots of people taken with that lens.

What would you recommend as an addition to the collection? For me all GM glass is out of question. The camera I have is A7mk3

And would you say that using one of the Canon 50mm lenses (say f/1.4) on an adapter would be a good idea? I could then sell my Zeiss and possibly invest the rest of the money in something else. I'm not really very familiar with out-of-the-system glass options.

All insights will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 22, 2012
    I think portraits from afar can be achieved with anything from 85mm on up. Don't forget you have pretty good croppability with these FF lenses - I found after I got my 90/2.8 macro I had zero desire for a 70-200 lens because I don't use the long end enough (and if I needed reach, 200mm was rarely long enough), and 90-130mm with cropping works amazingly well with this lens. Noise is not an issue with cropping on an A7iii's amazing sensor, so the only question is resolution, which affects things only if you intend to print large or make it a wallpaper for a 4k monitor. Otherwise, even 10MP (APS-C crop) is good for most uses, including large photobook prints.

If you can stand the size, the 24-105/4 will give you a very versatile performance while being able to be cropped to 150mm if you really need. Effective DoF control would be slightly worse than the Olympus 75/1.8 (just over 1 stop difference - 150/6 vs 150/3.6) but you would have wide angle on the other end. The bokeh isn't the best, but given what lenses you already have, it could fill in the rest of your FLs really well while still permitting you some reach.

I wouldn't advise buying Canon glass if you aren't already using Canon as a second system. Their affordable 50/1.4 is an old design and not optically as good as the newer ones (like Sigma Art or the Zony). There is also a Samyang 50/1.4 but it is huge, like the others. I think the Zeiss 55/1.8 hits a sweet spot for IQ, portability, and even price.

3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    75mm on m43 is 150mm FF equivalent, I believe. Sony e mount is a bit weak on affordable telephoto, though, especially primes, and that's a bit longer than classic portrait lengths like 85mm (which has several options). Maybe the 24-240mm? or 70-300mm?

If you want to consider adapted glass, do you need autofocus? There are AF adapters for Canon that work pretty well, and there is the Techart Pro for M mount which can in turn accommodate other mounts with another adapter (yes two adapters, it actually works pretty well). If you don't need AF there are lots of options for adapted manual focus lenses. It just depends on what you are comfortable with and how much you want to spend.

4. tino84

tino84 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    Hi, I just sold my 75mm 1.8 to buy the Sony 85mm 1.8.
    As I have an R2, i can use it in FF as 85mm, and in apsc mode as a 135mm. In apsc resolution drops to 18mpx but I think I have same if not better IQ as 75mm on my gx8.
    I had also a Sony A7, and I used apsc mode @10mpx, to me IQ was good enough, I don’t know if it would be the same for you

5. mesmerized

Mar 26, 2014
    Thank you for your insights!

In all honesty, using the APSC mode doesn't really make much sense to me. The reason why I abandoned the m43 system was because I wanted to have more MPx's and more control over the DOF (and, of course, better low-light capabilities) I would never say anything bad about m43 as I consider it to be an excellent system and th 75 is one of the best lenses I have ever seen (in fact, I'm still keeping my copy and I won't sell it cheap)

I'm wondering... perhaps I should use A7 with small primes only? 35/55/85... and then for telephoto just use an Olympus body with the 75mm and, possibly, something like 40-150 f/2.8...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  6. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I also came from m43 and had an EM5 MK2 +40-150 F2.8 which I intended to use for tele shots along side my A7R2 and various zooms and primes (but no tele lenses).
    I tried using 2 systems like that for a while but gave up and just stuck with the Sony kit and bought the FE70-300 , it was just too much hassle carrying 2 systems.

• Like Like x 1
  7. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Just to clarify, I never "shoot" APS-C mode, I shoot raw. But I crop in post, at a maximum to roughly APS-C sized frames, occasionally turning 3:2 (landscape) photos into 3:4 (portrait) dimensions, for example. Given that I do light cropping with virtually all my photos, this hasn't affected my workflow at all. But if you don't habitually shoot raw and crop then yes, it will be a change in workflow.

The only equivalent native lens you have in Sony's lineup to the 75/1.8 is the Batis 135/2.8, but whether you want to pay that much and have that much bulk is a valid question. The obvious alternate is the FE 85mm, but if you absolutely feel you need the reach, then it becomes difficult.

8. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Rokinon makes an emount 135, but it is manual focus. It was pretty well thought of over at Review: Samyang 2/135 ED UMC - phillipreeve.net (Samyang/Rokinon are the same maker).

I am eagerly awaiting the Voigtlander 110mm/f2.5 APO Lanthar coming in August. I absolutely love my 65mm/f2 and am hoping for the same performance. Voigtlander has been really stepping up their game lately and I love they are doing emount. But, you do have to be comfortable with manual focus.

9. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    If you want the same reach as the 75mm in a small FF package...well it doesn't exist! The closest AF setup would be the Canon 135mm f2 + Canon EF auto focus adapter of your choice. I think the Sigma MC-11 adapter works well. If you want to stay native, you'll probably have to go with a zoom. The 70-200mm f4 FE will get you there and if you bargain shop, you can find used copies in the $700 and up range.

I know everyone says the Sony 55mm 1.8 FE is a great lens, but there are so many decent 50mm options on the market and they all do relatively well on the A7III. If you're really penny pinching, pick up the Fotodiox Pronto Pro M mount AF adapter for $250 which is a direct knock-off of the Techart Pro M adapter aka TAP. With that you can mount pretty much any lens onto your Sony. I used to support the Techart, but their customer service is non-existent and Fotodiox will at least warranty their product for 2 years. Both adapters can be updated using the Techart firmware.

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That seems like a really tight trio to me. I went with 21/35/85 because the difference between 35 and 55 was so close that much of the time I was too lazy to swap lenses. So I sold my 55 to help pay for the Loxia 21.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    If you are enamored with the output of m43 75mm f1.8, then the closest in full frame Sony will be the Sigma Art 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM. It should be as good if not better than your 75mm f/1.8. 15mm focal length/FOV difference, but clear image zoom should yield the same FOV and pixel density.

I concur with the advice above. Stick with the Zeiss Sonnar 55mm f/1.8, as it's the best in class of all 50mm lenses from all manufacturers in the f/1.8 category. A worthwhile expenditure in the end. If you must have that f/1.4 look, then trade it in of course. Sigma, Samyang, have AF f/1.4's.
    You only go adapted Canon if you have a sizable investment in Canon glass already.

If manual-focus is not an issue, this can open up a world of options in many focal lengths and apertures. Shooting manual has me covered in focal length from 8mm to 1000mm for every situation. And super affordable.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  12. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Top Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    I never tried the Olympus 75/1.8, but I've tried looking for a replacement for the 12-40/2.8 :sadface:

Compared to the collaborative/competitive way Olympus and Panasonic set up the m43 market, when you look at Sony, Sony/Zeiss, Zeiss touit, milvius, Loxia, batis ... frankly I think of marketing departments and too much cocaine.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The 85mm 1.8 is the way to go.

Don’t sell the excellent 55mm to get an adapted Canon -that would be a step backwards IMHO.
    You would sell it with a big loss in money than what you bought it for.
    ;) 

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mesmerized

Mar 26, 2014
    Looks like an ideal set of lenses would be:

1) 16-35
    2) 55
    3) 85
    4) 70-200

:D 

• Like Like x 2
  15. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    No argument there (I go with the first two + 90/2.8), though I'd also consider the 70-300 G instead of a 70-200 for a bit more compactness and reach at the cost of speed.

Then later on when the GAS hits you can get the 28/2 or 25/2 for a fast wide :p 

16. mesmerized

Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks!

How does the 70-300 perform in terms of sharpness? I remember using some of those telephoto zooms on other systems and I usually was pretty disappointed.

28/2 is a nice compact lens... It just feels a bit, hmm, like it's sitting in the territory that is neither wide nor tight enough. Kinda.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  17. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    DxO Mark said it compared well with its Canikon rivals (even beating the Canon L version, never mind the generic 70-300), but I don't have the lens. I mentioned it because personally, I would choose it over either of the 70-200s (given my amateur sensibilities about size:cost:IQ). You might come to a different conclusion.

The lens has incredible center performance (almost like it's made to be used on an APS-C camera), so it could replace the 40-150/2.8 for you (it is equivalent) if your primary use is portraits.
    I feel exactly the same about the 35mm focal length :p  Never understood its popularity

18. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Then instead of the 28mm f/2, substitute with the new Samyang 24mm f/2.8. Very affordable FE prime, and it's even sharper than their 35mm f/2.8.
    24mm will achieve that wide angle threshold.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I have the FE 70-300, it's a lovely lens, very good IQ, compact and nice to use.
    Here's 3 photos taken with it on an A7R2.

35938712552_cc096b161d_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

34662334225_b87a6b5a8e_b.jpg

34662336785_d9066a8024_b.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. mesmerized

Mar 26, 2014
    Ho! I love that shot of the castle... Makes me want to sell my all my gear and move in ;) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.