• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

What's for dinner?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Since we don't have a 'FOOD' forum (maybe with good reason, I dunno) I thought I'd just share this with you this evening. I have been struggling to bbq salmon on the grille but really nailed it tonight. I use a cast iron fry pan to cook in. Came out very tasty.
ILCE-7M3       49mm    f/4.0    1/160s    ISO 400

What do you have cookin'?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Perhaps this is the beginning of the food photo thread. ;)

Perhaps this is the beginning of the food photo thread. ;)
If it is, it had better be renamed :): this is my lunch, from 4 years ago.

ILCE-7RM2    FE 35mm F1.4 ZA    35mm    f/8.0    1/4s    ISO 100

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
... Banana... The big "petals" are actually bracts, the actual flowers are the small pale things.
View attachment 111088
At a time known to the judgment of others, that flower head is cut off. The flowers are removed from between the bracts, painstakingly cleaned (sorry, I was asleep!) and made with lentils into a kind of daal.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Banana-Flower Curry!

DSC08266small.JPG
ILCE-6500    30mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary 016    30mm    f/3.5    1/40s    ISO 1600

The remaining bananas are left to grow more and ripen, then they are cut. After some more ripening, we eat them. Luckily we seldom have more than one tree giving fruit, or else we can't finish them.

I say tree, I forget what, botanically, it is, but it isn't really a tree. After taking the fruit, the whole lot gets cut down, and another one shoots up. The main stem of the plant can also be cut into pieces and cooked. And, of course, its leaves are the traditional dinner plates of the area.

Credit: My Wife. For all the work.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Well, I have already learned multiple things today and it is early in the day for me.

I looked it up - the banana is a berry. Who knew? 🤔

I also had to look up daal. But I already did know a little about curry which I love to eat, though I am sure what we can get around here is nothing like what you have available or make. I always look for Indian restaurants when in a city (generally for work so probably not much in the future), the food is always so interesting in both appearance and taste.

Latest posts

Top Bottom