• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

What would you like to be fixed/improved in the NEX..

neodraig

TalkEmount Rookie
...with a firmware update?

I bought my NEX-5 when it's been released, and though it's nice little camera, I found many problems that could be easily fixed via a firmaware update. I then tried to contact Sony but without any success.
Since then we had a few firmware updates wich addressed some problems (custom buttons, full manual video mode with the NEX-5N), we even had new features such as the peaking mode (kudos for that Sony) but the same problems that were present one year ago are still there, even in the new NEX-5N:

DMF mode
When the camera can't auto-focus, you can't focus manually.

For me, the main interest of the DMF mode would be to focus manually when the camera can't, but at the moment it's not possible wich is a big drawback, that's really fustrating.

Panorama mode
It would be much more easier if each time you enter the panorama mode it asks you the way you want to shoot.

Instead of that you have to select the panorama mode, then go back in the menu, select "camera", enter "panorama direction" and finally select the direction desired, boring.

Bracket mode
The bracket mode is currently limited to ±0.7EV (wich is useless) and 3 shots.
I'd like to have the possibility to go at least up to ±2.0EV and 5 shots.

What really irritates me is that the HDR mode can go up to ±6.0 EV, so that's clearly a software limitation and not a hardware one!

Auto ISO
The auto ISO setting will just go up to 1600 ISO (3200 on the NEX-N).

I would like the camera to go up to 3200 or 6400 ISO (or even 12800 on the NEX-N) in auto ISO setting if I wish.

HDR mode
The HDR mode is a pain in the @$$ to use.

I shoot RAW, so first I have to go in the image size menu, then quality and select JPEG. Then go back in the menu, then brightness/color, then DRO/Auto HDR and finally select HDR, ouch.

First, why the hell the camera doesn't automatically switch to JPEG when you select the HDR mode, it already does it for anti-motion blur and hand-held twilight. Secondly, the feature could be more accessible, it could be in the scene selection.

Switching the soft key buttons
I mostly shoot with manual lenses and often use the manual focus assist button, and it would be much more convenient if it could be assigned at the top soft key. The menu would be assigned at the bottom soft key.

Set the minimum shutter speed
When I'm in A mode, I'd like to set the minimum shutter speed (1/30 is not enough for most of the lenses).

So here are my griefs I've got with my NEX since a year, wich could be easily fixed with a firmware update, so what's yours?

jlabate

TalkEmount Regular
Here's a humble request, an easy fix, just a little software tweak - add options for 4:3 and 6:6 (1:1) aspect ratios to the 3:2 and 16:9.

heatherthevet

TalkEmount Regular
Well, I'm not technically skilled enough to know about most of the things you've just described. However one of the things that can be a bit difficult is the noise - the shutter is very loud! I'd like it to be much more subtle.

The rest of the problems are probably with me at the moment!

Bugleone

TalkEmount Veteran
I would like to see the histogram better implemented. So far I have NOT been able to find a way to adjust exposure while also being able to see the histogram,..so, 'exposing to the right' is difficult with the NEX. Also, the histogram is shown across the actual image and there is plenty of room on the LCD to show it of frame, which would be a big improvement. One of the few areas where the NEX lags well behind DSLR's is the very rudimentary single colour historgram which is also quite small. One gets the feeling that, yet again, Mr Sony does not really expect NEX users to use the historgram so it's only there for effect.

jlabate

TalkEmount Regular
I've never (yet) owned a Sony so wasn't aware of how their histograms works but your suggestions sound like good ones. I especially like the idea to move the histogram out of the image frame.

I would like to see the histogram better implemented. So far I have NOT been able to find a way to adjust exposure while also being able to see the histogram,..so, 'exposing to the right' is difficult with the NEX. Also, the histogram is shown across the actual image and there is plenty of room on the LCD to show it of frame, which would be a big improvement. One of the few areas where the NEX lags well behind DSLR's is the very rudimentary single colour historgram which is also quite small. One gets the feeling that, yet again, Mr Sony does not really expect NEX users to use the historgram so it's only there for effect.

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
My list is short:

Auto ISO: allow user selected max ISO and min shutter speed.

Touch AF: implement touch AF/shutter release

Djarum

TalkEmount Rookie
I know I've beaten this horse dead here and elsewhere, but a collapsable lens.

Amin, I didn't know the NEX's didn't have a max auto ISO like Olympus has.

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
For me, it is also user selected max ISO and min shutter speed. One of my favorite ways to shoot on the NEX is in shutter-priority mode with a manual lens. I can set the shutter speed I want on the camera and the aperture on the lens, and then the NEX will determine the ISO for proper exposure up to ISO 1600. I wish I could adjust that, although in practice I rarely find I need to go above 1600. What's really cool about this is that NEX will choose what seems to be any ISO, even ones you can't select yourself. Using this method I've had ISO settings of 480, 640, etc. Given how clean the NEX RAW file is up to ISO 1600, this is an extremely useful way to use the camera for quick snaps.

Bugleone

TalkEmount Veteran
OK,..since we are talking about the stuff that should be improved/put right about NEX;

I have mentioned the histogram implementation,...I might start a new topic about how this could be made much more usable....

The other big thing that is lacking in the NEX models,..at least the 3 & 5, (don't know about the 5n, c3 or 7),..is the lack of any depth of field guidance or control with the kit zoom, and presumably the other E mount lenses.

Sony does not see any need for focus guidance, depth of field scale or ability to use hyperfocal distance. In this respect the NEX models lag massively behind DSLR's and the missing ability robs NEX cameras of an important photographic control.

The kit zoom, like other E mount lenses uses a 'fly by wire aproach' for manual focusing,....ie., one turnd the 'focus ring' on the lens to focus but the action is made electronically so focus markings on the ring would be less than useless since the focus ring may not be in the same position on two occaisions with the same point of focus. When auto-focus is being used this hardly matters since the whole point of AF is to focus on ONE place in the subject. AF works quite well on the NEX/kit zoom but when 'manual focus' is engaged the camera is seriously compromised by total lack of numerical focus scale or other aids. It becomes impossible to guess/calculate how much of the subject will be in focus for a particular focus point and aperture combination Obviously, one can see sharpness, or lack of, on the lcd, but this gives no guide to any zone focus attempt.

When one toggles through the three screen displays by pressing the top of the wheel it should be possible to add a fourth screen which is only visible when the camera is switched to 'manual focus'. This screen could show a digital focus scale together with a depth of field scale, and would thus permit hyperfocal distance to be set easily,...ie, make maximum area of focus for a given aperture.

This would make manual focus vastly more useful and give a photographic control that has always been accepted by photographers since the era of the plate camera.

teshi

TalkEmount Rookie
Totally understand. My recommendation would be adding this to the firmware/improvement section on the Sony support site.

The link for it can be found here
https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/community/en/support/cameras_and_camcorders

So far, a lot of feedback both good and bad has not gone silent so its always an idea. I had a go on a final working version of the 5N and 7 over the past week and they both kick ass. The 5N is possibly everything the 5 should have been minus the few points already mentioned.

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
I want a firmware update for all existing NEX cameras that adds aspect ratios (1:1, 5:4, 16:9) and better auto ISO control so I can set the minimum shutter speed the camera uses before increasing ISO.

I also want Sony to make an off-camera extension cable for the flash/accessory shoe so we can move the flash off the camera on the NEX 3, 5, C3 and 5N.

neodraig

TalkEmount Rookie
Totally understand. My recommendation would be adding this to the firmware/improvement section on the Sony support site.

The link for it can be found here
https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/community/en/support/cameras_and_camcorders

So far, a lot of feedback both good and bad has not gone silent so its always an idea. I had a go on a final working version of the 5N and 7 over the past week and they both kick ass. The 5N is possibly everything the 5 should have been minus the few points already mentioned.

OK I put them there, thanx for the link.

neodraig

TalkEmount Rookie
It can't be fixed with a firmware update, it's a mecanical shutter...

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I missed the part of "with a FW update." sorry.

ItsaChris

New to TalkEmount
Record Btn AF/AE
Custom set the video record btn to AF and set shutter btn to AE.

Aperture lens mode (ALM)
Be able to use the lens ring to be able to control the aperture. as DMF does not work any ways.

Custom set stationary AF points.
I would like to be able to custom set AF points on the LCD and be able to use the 4 way scroll wheel to select the right box or dynamically tell the camera what AF points to use, and control the size of the AF points.

Soft key
Add LCD brightness to a soft key.
Add AF toggle mode to a soft key.

LCD display mode
Add a LCD display mode that displace black bars around the image and show the camera information in the bottom bar. simple to read - like a DSLR VF. or just use the black space for information and not for telling us what our camera btns do.

MF soft key.
allow MF lens soft keys to be set up the same way as AF lens, I do not use the MF magnifier and would like to be able to keep my metering mode on the bottom soft key even when using MF lens.

Multiple exposure mode
Add mode and add to soft key.

Turn Off LCD
Be able to turn off LCD and be able to just use the LCD to show camera information only. and optical VF is a valid add on to this camera but with out the ability to turn off the LCD it becomes redundant. Also add to soft key.

storyteller

TalkEmount Veteran
The kit zoom, like other E mount lenses uses a 'fly by wire aproach' for manual focusing,....ie., one turnd the 'focus ring' on the lens to focus but the action is made electronically so focus markings on the ring would be less than useless since the focus ring may not be in the same position on two occaisions with the same point of focus.

I hate fly-by-wire. Which lenses do NOT use that approach? Do we know if the Ziess 24mm uses fly by wire?

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
Unfortunately, I think all of the native lenses are fly-by-wire. It is the one aspect of the NEX system and the m4/3 system that I can not stand. It gives no tactile feedback and I don't like that. I can only hope that the way Olympus implemented manual focus on their 12mm lens catches on in time.

Latest threads

Top Bottom