What would be a good equivalent to the FUji XF35?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 9, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    I am an adapted lens shooter but my experience with the Fuji XF35/1.4 and the XE1 was good and even though I will still shoot primarily adapted glass I was thinking I would like to pick up one native lens. My last time suing a NEX I had a Sigma 30/2.8 and I really liked it. I'm not so concerned about the lens being fast as I generally am not looking for shallow DOF. The Fuji 35 is no speed demon AF wise but the images are gorgeous.

Here's an example...
    essence of youth
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

What should I look at in e-mount?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Sigma 30mm 2.8, Sony 35mm 1.8 OSS or Zeiss Touit 32mm 1.8 for apsc, Sony 35mm 1.4 or 2.8 & Zeiss Loxia 35mm f2 (mf) for FF are the native lenses... For nex-6 I would go with Sony 35mm 1.8 which comes with OSS also... You can check photozone reviews:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    I was looking at the Sony 35/1.8...mostly because it has O.S.S. and is less than the Fuji 35, but the Sigma 30 still is very appealing. It's slower but as I recall it was a very good lend optically and can be found used for a song. I also like the slightly wider FL.
  4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 3, 2012
    somewhere betwixt here and now
    I have both the Sigma 30mm and the SEL35f18 and I personally prefer the Sony in most cases - it's faster, has OIS, much smoother bokeh and better colors to my eyes. As to manual glass there's a lot to choose from: Voigtländer's 35mm offerings (all pretty individual characters), Zeiss, Leitz, ... and uncounted different legacy lenses. I've shot a lot of different 35mm lenses back in the day but the SEL35f18 as well as the XF35mm Fujinon are two of my alltime favorites, even though I don't use them that much because of their FOV on APS-C.
  5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Just to add, I also had the Sony 35 and Sigma 30 for a bit at the same time. I found no difference in sharpness at equivalent apertures. Preferred the Sony rendering in generally. Sony was also much faster focusing and quieter if you are going to use it for video. OSS is handy for video too. I use this lens probably 50% of the time so it's worth having all of these features for me. If it was a lens you would only use occasionally, I'd probably save the money and go with the Sigma 30.
  6. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Just adding a little from my experience with the Sigma 30mm, the startup time for my camera (NEX 5t) is noticeably increased. Not a big deal for shooting stationary subjects or at least slow moving ones, but I'm getting very frustrated with it because I miss shots of my kids while waiting for my camera to come online. If the camera has just gone into sleep mode or I flipped the power switch accidentally, it will take about 8 seconds to be back up and going. If it's coming on from a cold start or has been in sleep mode for a little bit it takes around 6 seconds. This an eternity when trying to grab a shot of my kids doing whatever they're doing because invariably as soon as the camera is ready to take a shot the moment has passed. I noted on a borrowed A6000 that the startup time seemed to be closer to around 3 seconds which is much more tolerable, but that was noted in a very brief informal test. I'm not sure if this is something that only affects the 5t or if there are a number of models that have this issue, I don't see much mention of it. I don't have any experience with the 35mm but in retrospect I wish I had gotten one when I had a chance to get one used for $330 rather than save money with the Sigma. It's a great lens but I hate that the only way I can effectively use it is to have my camera go into sleep mode at the longest interval of 30 minutes, which heats the thing up a bit and drains my battery quickly.