What Tripod For Sony A7r ii?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sabeast, Aug 10, 2017.

1. sabeast

sabeast New to TalkEmount

Aug 10, 2017
    HERE ARE MY GOALS....

Just Got Myself A Sony A7Rii & Sony 24-70 GM 2.8 Lens. I mostly want a tripod to do runway type videos of myself & street fashion photography of myself. All im really looking for is the best quality tripod to use to take shots of myself, products, and some video. Like i said im a fashion designer, so the images will be some studio, mostly street style fashion photography with some video. I would have my girlfriend on the other end of the camera just to be sure the tripod doesn't fall or no-one runs off with my camera lol....Here are some photography ideas of what im after http://www.thestyleograph.com/.

Here are some video ideas of what im after,

2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    Uh, one with three sturdy legs should do the trick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Like shoes, you'll discover that only one tripod will not cover all circumstances and needs.

You wish to do two things, videos and photography, each with their own requirements from a tripod, which is why we have video tripods, and photography tripods...each with specialized features to address these requirements.
    Then there is the personal requirements....will you be using it on location, or only in a studio...do you need it to be light, small and portable (for carry-on and backpacking).
    Height requirements too. Small and light usually can't extend to eye level.

Shooting good video requires a fluid panning video head. The tripod design for shooting video are usually large, sturdy, and utilize a bowl/cup and half ball mounting base for fast leveling. You must have the video head perfectly level in order to shoot straight and level panned video. Photography tripods don't have this feature and usually have extendable center columns for placing the camera. Leveling is done at the camera usually by a ball head. A ball head conveniently provides infinite angle adjustment to compose a shot.

With your limited input of wanting to shoot both videos and photos, and your inquiry about the one best tripod for your goals, I can only suggest a few options below to try, and then you can evolve with experience to know what you will need later.

1. Manfrotto BeFree Live. Their latest portable tripod that is design for shooting videos. It comes with a special fluid panning head and integrated cup/half ball leveling base!
    It's carry-on capable, and well made.

2. Manfrotto 190 series tripod. I suggest this mid-sized tripod in their carbon fiber version. It's lighter and more rigid. It's not too big nor small. Has decent height extension for photography, stable enough, but at a size that you can still carry around. This was the original Manfrotto travel-wilderness tripod series. There are a couple of options for bases and head configuration. I recommend you visit your local camera store to check one out and see if now has a video option.
    Otherwise, I recommend that you get two heads, one for video and one ball head for photos. The center column of the 190 can slide out. You can keep the video head on a second 'stubby' column ready for videos. Slide that into the 190 when you need fluid panned videos.

3. 3 Legged Thing: This is a high-end brand of portable carbon fiber tripods with the feature of very rigid tubes that extend to a height of a standard large photography tripod.
    They attempt to address size and portability, without compromising height, and sturdiness. The need to shoot video will still need to be addressed with special panning head.

There are also other brands with very good reps with competing models. Consider models from Gitzo ($$$$$), Induro and Sirui ($$$).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I'd probably feel negligent putting that kind of gear on my $50 (1980's money) Slik tripod.