What to do with our photographs?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by christian, Sep 29, 2014.

1. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Hi everyone,

When I started photography, I was a little sad about one thing. My pictures were only filling up my hard drive. I didn't know what to do with them and how to share them. It was like watching a movie all alone without being able to share it with someone HA HA

So I thought I should find a way to share them. Then came Flickr and other social media specialized in photography. But I thought it wasn't enough, so I started to look for other options. Of course there is TalkEmount ;-) ... but here are my thoughts:

http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/09/29/publishing-exhibiting-and-selling-your-photographs/

Next step will probably be exhibitions. I think that's definitely the best way to stand out among all these photographers out there.

What have you been testing? What other solutions have you found?

Please share your experience too.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    For the time being talk e mount and flikr is enough for me, but then again I don't have an eye like your Christian :)

3. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I suggest getting a printer and printing them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Well thanks Chris.

5. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    And then put them everywhere in the house?! HA HA

6. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I don't print them myself but have 30 or so printed on canvas or large paper/framed from photobox.co.uk with them all around the house, lots of friends/visitors comment and enjoy them (as do I)!

7. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    • Like Like x 1
  8. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
  9. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
  10. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Haha, I guess so, but I primarily take photo's for me, and if others happen to like them then so be it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    That's right, it's the first and foremost reason why we like photography. It's important to be happy with our own photographs.

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/118310489@N03/

12. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I agree that this should be the reason, though im still not happy with what I can produce, but I think im at least getting a little better which is good enough for now.

13. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I mainly shoot for myself, so I'm hanging them on my wall. €100 for a 60x40 cm print may not be cheap, but ultimately, a print is where my photos are supposed to be.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Not that my photos are anywhere good as Christian's, but I've been thinking of printing some of mine (the few that I like) in a quality paper photo book to have in the house for quests to see.
    Something like the one Flickr offers (but unfortunately not for us overseas users :( )

• Like Like x 1
  15. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I thoroughly enjoy nature photography and like having some good ones on display in our house.
    Please over look the reflections in this hasty snapshot and it'll show an example of an approach I'm currently using.

I have one of these on each side of the fireplace, one in the foyer, more planned...they each hold six 8x10's, and at the current time I'm thinking I'll rotate other 8x10's maybe once a year or so.
    ( The frames are pre-made & double matted by "Art-To-Frames" and are very reasonably priced compared to custom frames )

• Like Like x 8
  16. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Don't know if this is of any interest but "Shutterfly" does outstanding printing at very reasonable prices...get all my printing done by them...constantly running big sales, etc. And their Flagship product is their Photo Book line.

http://www.shutterfly.com/?cid=SEGO...act&gclid=CLKCkfrBhsECFRJk7Aod2xsA9g&mpch=ads

• Like Like x 1
  17. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    That's nice of you Nick!
    I don't have any of my pictures printed actually. Once the move to Boston is over within 3 weeks now, I think I'll print of couple of them for our new appartment. By the way, we found one already

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

18. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Pictures of my family I like to print on canvas and hang. Pictures that I take (that end up being print worthy) I am saving to make a big "coffee table book" some day. I just do photos for me. I like to share on Flickr for my family to see as well. They are spread out all over the US so it is a great way to share.

• Like Like x 2
  19. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I think the answer to this question is totally dependent on the photographer. I have been reading the answers and that bears out. If you are concerned with recognition for your art then..., if you are concerned with generating income..., if your work is personal..., if its just a hobby..., If it's a means to social connections..., if your work is to to be shared with family, friends..., if you expect your work to lead to a career..., if you feel you have something special to share with the world...

In any case, what you do with your photographs should be based on why you shoot to begin with. Like many, juggling obligations for work, family, and bills generates a lot of stress. Photography is an outlet for me. It's a hobby and I don't want it to be anything else at this point. I don't even like when people ask me to shoot events (i recently shot an event and so many people wanted to know why they were not in any or more photos. smh). Photography is the one thing I have where I control the expectations and that's very meaningful for me now. So as far as what I do with my photography; I share some, keep some, print some. I do whatever makes me happy with my photos.

• Like Like x 6
  20. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    That's very true! It depends on every one's expectations.
    This article is meant for those who want to share and do something with their "art", for those who feel that it's not enough to hang their prints on the wall but have no idea how to do it. I believe it gives hints for a start because at the beginning it's hard to know all the websites and what to expect.

• Like Like x 2