What to do when your photo is published without consent, compensation or credit.

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by LouisJohnD, Sep 15, 2013.

1. LouisJohnD

LouisJohnD TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Hello everyone, it's been a long time!

So I've recently been notified that a photo that I took of a friend of mine is to be published in a popular magazine. Great news!...? But I have had no contact with the editor of the magazine, and from what I've seen of a pre publication mock-up I am given no credit for the image. My friend gave the magazine one of my photos when asked to submit some portraits of himself for the publication. He submitted my photo along with a few others and they picked mine. He gave them my name but the magazine made no effort to contact me before publication. I've spoken with a few people and have received mixed advice. Has anyone else encountered such an issue?
  2. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I had something similar happened to me after posting an online review for a Piano bench. Months later I was informed the company selling it used my review and photos on their website so I would like to know what others have to say.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    IF your friend did not in fact present the photo as his own, then it sounds like clear violation of copyright. I would confirm with your friend and then speak directly with the magazine editor to see what he has to say. If nothing comes out of this I would take the case to a lawyer.
  4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Watermarking and giving away only low resolution images are about only viable means of copyright protection these days. Sad.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Philadelphia, Pa
    It's not clear to me where you are located. In the USA the best organization to protect your copyrights is ASMP. http://asmp.org
    If you are not a member, don't fret. The site has much info about your rights and how to protect them. It also tells you how to proceed to defend your rights.
    Good luck and don't let anyone deter you from what you want to do. Even an apology is a win.
  6. LouisJohnD

LouisJohnD TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I'm going to consult with a few of my professors as well before taking it any further, but something tells me I'm SOL here. In that case it is a lesson learned I suppose.