What to do what to do...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AlwaysOnAuto, May 27, 2015.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I’ve been thinking about getting a full frame body to use my legacy glass on. I have a Nex-7 that I use now and enjoy being able to use the glass on it, but, I find a lot of times the crop factor is just not the same as true focal length shooting. At the same time, I don’t have any native Sony lenses either as I bought my Nex-7 body only, used.

So, should I spend the money and get an A7, save some more and get an A7ii, or just get a native lens and be happy with my Nex-7?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Ideally an A7ii kit would be perfect but it’s way out of the budget even now.

No, I haven't gone to the store and handled either an A7 or an A7ii. I probably should as I'm really into how a camera 'feels' when I hold it. If it doesn't 'feel' right it won't get used.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hell, pick up a good used A7 body off of eBay, use it for a while, and if it isn't all that, then put it back up on eBay for what you paid. But my bet is that you will find it to be all that. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Also being an NEX-7 / legacy manual lens user...curious what advantage / final result would such a camera body produce if you continue to use legacy manual lenses on it, compared to using them on the NEX-7?

4. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    The biggest advantage is that I'd be shooting at the true focal length of the lens being used. I find I'm often having to make exceptions for the crop factor that I can't really work with. Like shooting a 50mm and finding that the FOV is just too dang long and I can't back up enough to get the shot I want. I've been spoiled by my 18-200 on my D7000 I guess you could say. A D750 body has also crossed my mind too.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    This is a big debate. Is the A7 series upgrade worth it?

The A7's have some nice advantages, but the cost can be quite significant. For me, the APS-C sensor is so good that I rarely see A7 series cameras that can do much more than the APS-C's in 90% of the work.

6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I've learned to accommodate the crop factor FoV thing with lens selection...where I might have normally used a 50mm lens for something years ago, I now reach for a 35mm instead...but truth be known, I guess I'm pretty lucky...other than when wanting a particular WA FoV for a sunset/landscape shot...FoV is never an issue for my photography.
    I'm no photographer mind you...but I'm so amazed at the details picked up by the APS-C sensor that I never even noticed through the EVF...and then the after-the-fact cropping capability...that my mind-set is "if it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it"...LOL

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Prices for used A7 are very tempting. Especially when taking into consideration what you are buying, a FF camera! On the other hand, prices for APS-C Nex's are dropping every day that passes by very fast and they are not gonna go up...

I'd buy a used A7, but only if you're certain that you don't want/need/can afford an A7II - same situation as you (nex owner that wants to go to A7 series) with the difference that I'm 100% sure I want an A7II ;)

8. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I guess I could always do the good ol' pro's and con's list to weigh the options vs what I want to do. I know that when I went from my CoolPix 995 to a D80, all it took was holding the D80 to convince me. Fit my hand like a well worn deer skin glove. I'm afraid if I handle an A7ii it MIGHT feel the same way. Then I'd be sunk. :crying:

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Resistance is futile... You WILL be assimilated. :laugh1:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    What lenses do you have ?

With my NEX-7 and Minolta Rokkor/MD/MC lenses, i was using a Zhonghyi lens Turbo that shortened ( about ,72 factor) the focal length to close to native FOV and makes each lens a dual focal length. MD 50 F 1,7 becomes either 75mm F 1,7 or 54mm F 1,2, MC Rokkor 24mm F 2,8 becomes 36mm F 2,8 or 26mm F 2,8
    Only downside was the occasional purple glob on some lenses at very small apertures and in certain specific lighting conditions

11. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I bought the A7 for the very reason of using the legacy lenses I had amassed while owning a NEX 6. Like yourself I wanted to use them at there native FL. I can't think of a better camera series for such a use. If I didn't know better it would be easy to assume the A7 was designed specifically for legacy glass. The only native lens I have for the A7 (other than my apsc lenses) is the FE28-70 which never gets used. In fact there is not one photo on my Flickr page from the 28-70. Thats not saying its a bad lens just that I really enjoy the shooting with the legacy lenses on the A7.

12. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    In answer to the question, what lenses do I have, I have the following adapters: Minolta, Nikon, and Leica LTM & M. Not a lot of lenses, but I can use them all digitally now.
    I'm kind of surprised none here have suggested just getting a native Sony lens and calling it a day. I'm sure I'd like using the N-7 on auto as it really produced nice shots when I borrowed my sis-in-law's lens.
    That is an option to be considered from a budgetary standpoint.

13. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Get a native Sony lens and call it a day. :laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that used A7 is about 800 € (plus taxes, VAT is here in Finland 24%). With that money you can get lots of legacy glass (or a few quality ones) and few new ones too.

Something like:
    OM 24/2.8 150€
    Samyang 35mm/1.4 500€ (would take Contax Zeiss Distagon 35mm/2.8 instead but it is slow)
    Contax Zeiss Sonnar 85mm/2.8 or Samyang 85mm/2.8 300 €

For me investing in lenses seems more cost effective. In some years I think that prices of FF are going to be much lower and prices of legacy lenses are going up. I would prefer IBIS over FF, btw..

15. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I think you are right, there is something that is just better about shooting legacy glass at the proper field of view.

I get this by using a speedbooster, but its hard to recommend that now that the A7 is so cheap.

If you do want to eventually get some native lenses, I do think it's worth considering sticking with APSC. Because all of the FE lenses are super expensive, and things will spiral quickly out of control budget wise.

I think the 1 native lens to own on APSC is the Sony 35mm F1.8. And it's nice to be able to hand your camera to somebody else and them be able to actually use the thing.

If you get an A7, I think it make sense to budget to at least get either the 35mm F2.8 or 55mm F1.8. And if you cant afford that, the A7 probably isn't wise.

• Agree Agree x 1