What to buy: New NEX or new lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by ascariss, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ascariss

ascariss TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 17, 2013
    Not sure if the right section to be posting this but here is my question.

What would everyone recommend I purchase, the new NEX-5T or the previous NEX with wifi, or better to invest into a new G lense for the NEX-5N such as the Sony E PZ 18-105G?

The new Zeiss would be nice but at 4500zl (1000 euros), it is a bit too much for me, but the G lens which is due in dec is around 2700pln or 630 euros.

Unless you guys have other ideas or recommendations? I currently have the following lenses, the 35F1.8, 50F1.8, 16F2.8 and the 18-55 zoom that came with my NEX.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    There's no point in buying a NEX-5R/T when you already have the 5N. The top dial is coupled to the rear dial in P/A/S modes so it's useless, the sensor is the same and the PDAF is hardly better than the CDAF in the 5N. Same screen, similar body - there simply aren't any major differences, and the Apps are too bad, they're not worth a new body.

If you want to spend your money now, a new lens always is a good idea. If you like zoom lenses, just buy either the G or the Zeiss zoom, depending on how much you want to spend. Seeing the specs I can almost guarantee you the Zeiss lens is superior - and it's much smaller, but the G zoom should be quite nice too and the price seems right.
  3. Nick

Nick TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    Dorset, England
    As a 5R owner I would second this advice.

The wireless to a smartphone is a PIA (Pain in ****), the Phase detect auto focus is nice but the screen is cluttered by the display of the PDAF area, the sensor has no more resolution but is, I think, a new design.

I were to spend your money for you it would be on glass and for me specifically the forthcoming 18-105 lens.

Sony Lens: Zooms - Sony E 18-105mm f/4 G PZ OSS SELP18105G - SLRgear.com!

Looks good to me. It's on the wish list for Father Christmas.

4. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I disagree about the apps, I found some of them to be VERY nice and the remote option while limited is at least an option.
    Others like Time Lapse, Multi Frame NR, Motion shot , etc are very interesting.
    Also that Lens Correction app for Legacy lens users seems very good.

I love having the option to add extra stuff without upgrading my camera.
    Now, it all depends on how much importance you give to those options of course.
  5. ascariss

ascariss TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks for the advice everyone, would be nice to have a time lapse option but the G lens would be a treat to have for december :)
  6. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Ha you bet...that G lens got me interested. :)
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I'll go with the majority and say that the apps aren't worth switching for. I can't speak for time-lapse because I never do that, but the free apps for my NEX-6 are bordering on the useless. Maybe, just maybe, I could see myself using the remote option on my iPhone when photographing mushrooms vertically with the camera near the ground, impossible to see the display then without going down in the mud. That's where I'll miss the fully articulating display of my GH2... Don't even think of using this remote option with moving subjects, delays are way too high.