1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What the heck happened?

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by AK47J, Sep 2, 2014.

1. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Girlfriend and I took her two daughters out for a night of light painting. And something weird happened. I was using my Konica Hexanon 28mm f/3.5 lens. The red and blue lights are cheap "pinch" type key chain LED lights. Notice how the blue light image is right side and inverted and repeated into the background, but the red is not. I am baffled. What the heck happened?
    DSC06649.
    DSC06644.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Was there a reflective background and top?

That kind of phenomena happens if light is first reflected from top and then from back. Mirages are natural phenomena of such and there the top reflection is caused by big temperature difference between layers of air. It can be color sensitive too.

Interesting picture anyway.

3. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Backdrop was Pilot Butte, a giant pile of rock and dirt covered with grass and sage brush. Above was the sky.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    As Spock would say: Fascinating! I have no idea what may have caused that. But pure guesswork makes me wonder if perhaps the blue light is just the right frequency to be interacting somehow with a lens coating and the sensor, bouncing back and forth into infinity (and beyond!). Other that that, I got nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Agree.

• Like Like x 2
  6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that it is a genuine mirage. Cameras are much more sensitive than human eye these days and the false image is mirrored twice so it needs two reflections.

Lens is too far from image to cause this. Very interesting image indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LoFi

LoFi TalkEmount Regular

Nov 16, 2013
    Eliot
    my a99 + sony 50/1.4 would do this... it was extremely annoying
    as i got the combo for low light stuff, and i couldnt use it in low light, because any light would be reflected all over the place
    it wasnt just blue tho.. that red guy would have had a big ghostly looking tealish version of him lit up somewhere else in the frame just the same as the blue guy! lol.. but it was always pale teal ghastly colored!

lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know. The only mirages that I've ever seen have been out in the desert on very hot days. They've looked like a nebulous kind of shimmering well off in the distance, miles away, and not anything like this phenomenon.

This is sort of what it looked like:

http://manofdepravity.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Mirage1.jpg

Perhaps there are different kinds of mirages? :hmmm:

• Like Like x 1
  9. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I don't see how it could be a mirage? The air was cold and dry, no clouds, and not much distance from light source to lens.

I like WoodWorks theory, makes sense.

I should experiment with that blue light and other lenses.

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Mirages (there are at least two types) need rapid temperature change in atmosphere so it can't be a mirage.

Did you have filter on lens? If this phenomenon is caused by lens or filter it should be reproducible. Just point the blue light into white wall in a dark room and photograph that.

11. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    No filter of any kind. Yea, I'll try that, simple and fast.