1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What size do you prefer to view/post images?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by bdbits, Aug 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Original

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. 1600

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. 1500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1200

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. 1000

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. 800

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. 600

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. It depends on the photo

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  10. Other

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Personally I like large images, and think viewing a larger image is generally a better experience. I even find myself wishing people posted their images larger, but maybe 1600px (longest side) is too much? I notice most people seem keep it a bit less.

I'll include a poll for a high-level view, but obviously cannot include every possible option.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I like 1600 for images in landscape orientation. Closer to 1000 for portrait orientation.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I view the site on my laptop, give me all the image you can.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Recommended Facebook is 2048px longest, 70% jpeg quality, so I tend to use that for all my web uploads

5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I have QHD desktop monitor and my tablet is a very weird resolution that's higher than QHD, so hit me with anything up to 2500px!

But for general web output, something under 1920 (1080p) is probably a good bet that most people can view it well.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    2048px!

7. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I can see I should have included more options above 1600. I guess that number was stuck in my brain. :sorry:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I didn't buy a 42 megapixel camera to make small images. If your computer can't handle that, get out of the 90's! :dance:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Consider that the SD card in your camera is bigger than most hard drives from the 1990s. I still remember when one of my employers in the early 90s was celebrating having over 100G of capacity on the mainframe. Times they are a-changin'.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    I've never counted pixels in the photos I've posted.
    I figure if it'll post I picked the right size.
    If it doesn't I'll reduce it in size with my Image Resizer and try again.

11. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Thanks for the feedback. A lot of sites will resize after uploading to some max size, or have a recommendation. I think here it is incidentally 1600px wide, so I was sizing to that before posting here. I know some people apparently reduce their photos to something less than that, ergo my question/poll.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Someone was suggesting that we raise our max size from 1600px to something higher. The key is finding the right balance for those on fast internet connections and those on slow ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Amin, just a thought - what if you by default displayed them at 1600 (or whatever), then clicked through to the image at whatever resolution it was uploaded? I might imagine storage cost could also become an issue, but I think that could be a good compromise if bandwidth is the primary driver.

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    And Mobile versus laptop/desktop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Easier on everyone if you post a smaller image and link to a larger version. :) 

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I agree, I think the current 1600p conversion is a good compromise. Keeps the storage (and bandwidth) under control and if the poster wishes to share a higher res version, or more info, the external link is available to him/her.

• Like Like x 1
  17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It’s hard to find that sweet spot. When I’m at home, 1600 seems a great middle ground. But when I’m on the road, it’s like mollasses in January.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.