1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Farmdale, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Farmdale

Farmdale New to TalkEmount

Nov 23, 2015
    Last year my wife boughtme a nex 5t with kit lense. Love it also I bought a fuji cctv lense also love. But now I want a good zoom lense I keep seeing the sel 55210, but my friend says has to high of a f stop. I have about 200 to spend, what should I do?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If you love the kit lens, then the 55-210 will work just fine for you. Your friend may mean well, but you're very unlikely to find a fast telephoto zoom with autofocus for $200.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Does it need to be AF? If not, there are some pretty nice zooms out there for cheap. If you want AF then the 55-210 will be just fine. As to it having to high an F stop...folks love to go on and on about NEEDING a lens that is fast but how often do you use it? I'd say a vast majority of my shots are done at f4 or f5.6.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Jason Lanier, a professional photographer and Sony Artisan, has a (25:30) video about shooting with natural light. In the shoot Jason uses the A6000 and the 55-210mm lens.

It's not the wand, it's the wizard.

The video is at:

• Like Like x 1
  5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thank you !! Always been my experience as well.
    One of my favorite lenses is a manual Canon FDn 70-150 / 4.5...has Canon "L" like IQ without actually being an "L" lens, and is just a superb zoom...yet they sell for only $50-$75 when you can find one

6. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yep, one of my favorite lenses (not just zooms) is my Minolta 35-70/3.5 macro and it cost me all of $50. I have a few fast lenses but the times I shoot wide open far and few between.

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    One more thing to consider about the 55-210: You can screw on this Sony DH-1758 1.7x adapter to the end of the lens to make a pretty slick, if front-heavy, long telephoto. I had one when I still owned my NEX-6 and 55-210, and with the adapter I had a 535mm-equavalent telephoto that delivered pretty decent quality.