1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What second lens for Sony A7II would make sense for me?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Ramirez, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 14, 2015
    I am not going to order another lens for awhile now; camera budget spent.
    But just want to gather thoughts about what lens I should start to save up for.

My situation & my needs:

I am doing a lot of hybrid photography; 50% stills & 50% video. Some all video sessions and some all photo as well.
    I am filming and photographing people, events, nature and everyday life. Doing some strictly video projects too.
    Doing some multicam video projects too (events) with about 3 cameras for video and some for photos.

The gear I already own:

- Nikon D610; Tokina 17-35/4, Tamron 70-300 VC, Tamron 70-200/2.8 and Nikkor 50/1.8G
    - Panasonic Lumix GH4; Pannasonic 12-35/2.8 and m.zuiko 45/1.8
    - Panasonic LX100 - the other 4K camera besides GH4
    - Fujifilm X100s - my 35mm lens in everyday situations

I´ve recently added:

- Sony A7II (waiting it's arrival next week); FE 28/2 & Novoflex adapter (Nikon F - Sony FE)

The duties for Sony A7II:

- Due to 5-axis IBIS - "run and gun" video and photography
    - Street camera (maybe replace Fuji X100s as my everyday camera but also complement the 35mm with 28mm view)
    - Nature (adapted Nikon lenses and the FE 28/2); sometimes coupled with D610 & one of the Tamron telezooms (longer zoom better balanced on bigger body) - then Sony A7II will be the wide camera (28/2 or adapted Tokina 17-35)
    - Low light stuff (slow shutter speed due to 5-axis combined with full frame sensor)
    - Sometime the only camera (travels etc.)

-----------------------------------------------

My question:

- I'll be satisfied with the FE 28/2 and adapted Nikon lenses (due to focus peaking - MF will be easier) for some time
    - But I would at least want another af capable lens for those scenarios when I am traveling and such when I would need AF (when I don't have the time to shoot slow) and want another perspective than the 28

When looking at the lenses and cameras I already own and pondering about the needs:

- What FE lens would be wise to have as the second lens after the FE 28/2?

Hope that I get some help in my thought process!

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    In the FE world, there's one lens that stands out as a no-brainer: the 55mm f/1.8. QED

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    I´ll look into that lens. I´ve read some reviews about it and looked at photos taken with it. And the great thing with a camera body with 5-axis IBIS it that the 55 will be stabilized too :)

4. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    the 55mm Zeiss is way crazy. The mini Otus has it all, the Zeiss 3d pop, the contrast, the color, its in your face and loud with tons of character. Some say it's too clinical, I say...

it's Hepkitty approved:

Sony A7S & 55mm Zeiss f/1.8
    m-49.

• Like Like x 8
  5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    All you need to know, Ramirez:
    :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    I must declare; your photos are fantastic!

• Like Like x 1
  7. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    With all the kit you already have, why would you want a new camera? The GH4 already gives top quality video.

8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand that question at all. :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    :drinks:

10. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    Curiousity :) The grass is greener on the other side...

GH4 is a great video camera but noisy when it comes to high ISO. I was actually considering an Oly EM5II as a way of recording steady video due to 5-axis. Then I started to look into Sony A7II; 5-axis (steady video) and full frame (better high ISO than m4/3:s at least).

And I'm also trying to find out if the Sony A7II and FE system can replace my Nikon D610; if it can, I'd probably sell the Nikon. It all depends of how well I can live with manual focus on my Nikon lenses.
    One thing I'm sure of though is that if I spend money on more lenses; it will be adapted legacy lenses or Sony FE lenses (if I become very fond of Sony A7II and the FE system).

11. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Ok, if you are really into video than the "correct" A7 camera is the S (or the recent A7SII). Crazy high ISO performance. And the FE lens for video (no focus breathing) is the 28-135 zoom.

12. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    I know but the prize is a little bit to high for me at the moment for A7SII and A7RII. And I wanted 5-axis, that rules A7s out.
    GH4 will still be my main videocamera, LX100 is my b-cam for 4K.
    Even if I record 4K with those two cameras; I Always export 1080P.

For the near future I don´t need to export projects to 4K. I use my 4K cams for the cropability; they are stationary on tripods and I can crop in a lot.

Until now my D610 has been my C-cam during video projects, Fujifilm X100s I can´t use as I record in 25p (PAL-country).

So now I´ll have 2 4K cameras; Sony A7II and Nikon D610 as C- and D-camera. Sony A7II will take Nikons place in my workflow.
    And it will be handy for "handheld" videography.

Right now and for some time to come I'll be satisfied with these cameras. If I need full 4K projects; I still can do it with a 2 camera setup. Then A7II and D610 + Fuji X100s will serve as strictly stills cameras in those scenarios.

13. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    A7ii records 4k?

14. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    Nope. If you read that I meant that I must have written poorly. I meant that my GH4 and LX100 records 4K, they are my 4K cameras.
    As I understand only A7RII and A7SII records 4K internally.

15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    ah ok, after re-reading it makes more sense. at first glance "So now I´ll have 2 4K cameras; Sony A7II and Nikon D610" I didn't even finish the line, was truly hoping i'd read wrong and my camera COULD record 4k

16. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    That would be great if it where true :)

How do you like your A7II?

17. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    honestly, it's a dream. Has been a fantastic upgrade in IQ from the 5r and a57. I still use the 5r however, the a7ii has become my main camera for sure. I made the mistake of renting some fancy new lenses including the 90mm macro. :( now i'm just itching for some new glass. that'll have to wait tho. For now all legacy glass.