What NEX bundle of lens/camera to buy? Help!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by pauliemacnz, Feb 8, 2013.

1. pauliemacnz

pauliemacnz TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    Just sold my trusty NEX5 and am convinced the 6 is for me. I already have the 50mm 1.8, which I love. Now what lenses to get?

I am very keen on the newly released 35mm f1.8 - sometimes the 50 is too constricting.
    I like the idea of the NEX6 kit lens - just as a versatile walkaround; but is that a waste when I will eventually have the 35, the 50 (and probs the new 20 pancake?)
    I also want some zoom capability.

Do I buy the body and the 35 then save for the 18200?
    Do i buy the kit and the 55210?

I'm a keen amateur and would welcome any advice peeps!
  2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I bought a NEX-6 body and grabbed the Sigma 19mm and 30mm f/2.8 lens bundle for $200. I've since added a couple legacy lenses too. For my money, I'd rather spend less on a body only and spend a little extra for nicer lenses.
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    If you need / want a pancake zoom, get this kit. If not - a kit consisting of a 19/20, 35 and 50mm lens is quite nice for many situations - you only loose out on portraits, macro and landscape (although 20mm is okay for many landscapes - I personally used the 24mm CZ for hundreds of landscapes and almost never felt too constricted).
  4. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Peter Chin is my real name.
    The Sigma 19/30 bundle for $200ish depending who you buy from is a great deal and shouldn't be passed up unless you want the newer versions with added features and "supposedly" better optics but at $200 it's a tough call. if you really want premiun brand then just wait for Zeiss releases.
  5. lattiboy

lattiboy TalkEmount Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    The Sigma 19/30mm lenses are utterly fantastic. Far and away the best value of any lenses on any system.

I just took that set plus a Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 Planar with me on a trip and was supremely happy. Covers all the major focal lengths and fits in a tiny bag.
  6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Welcome to the forum.

Zoom lenses makes it more versatile esp for travel/walkaround. Kit lens & 35mm makes the camera (coat) pocketable. 18-200 and 55-210 has similar lengths and makes the combo bigger. 18-200 is more expensive and you loose the wider zoom of the smaller kit lens but it eliminates the lens changing need. So it depends on your needs and preferences.
  7. pauliemacnz

pauliemacnz TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 8, 2013

Cheers all. Went for the body and kit lens.
    I still have my trusty 50mm, my fave; but the kit will be good for a daytime walkaround.
    Sigma lenses will be next - but to go for the updated ones or get the old ones cheap?
    Doh! decisions, decisions. Can't wait for my 6 to arrive.
  8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    We still don't know the prices of the updated ones, but they probably will cost double the price of the current lenses while maintaining the same optical performance. If a metal barrel is worth 100 to you, wait, otherwise get them asap.