1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What minolta should I buy?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by weirdo, Oct 18, 2014.

1. weirdo

weirdo TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 7, 2014
    Looking for a zoom and been looking at the 35-70. Either the 3.5 or the 4.0. Which one is the best? Using it on a A7.

2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I use the 35-70/3.5 macro quite a lot on my 5n and it's wonderful. I especially like the ability to get close. It's prime sharp at 35 and 50 and softens up a bit at 70. You might also consider the 24-50/4 although they're a bit tougher to find. Here's an example:

14278956204_ca8126f2a5_h.

The Prisoner
    by dixeyk, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I would go with the f/3.5 version. This lens is one of the ones that Leica actually bought from Minolta and had it rebadged as one of their own R lenses for use on R mount Leica camera. Those cameras were also developed in conjunction with Minolta as well. Seriously, there is no difference between the Minolta 35-70/3.5 and the Leica R version, except for external design. But the Leica version sells for hundreds more because its a 'Leica'. If it was good enough for Leica....

Oh, and in case you dont have this reference page....
    http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I think OP's referring to the AF version of the lenses since there never was an MD 35-70 f/4

5. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Derp. Must be having a senior moment. The good new is the older MD lens will work nicely on the a7 as well..... :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. weirdo

weirdo TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks! Will try to find it on ebay. Is there a big difference between the one with macro and the one without? I would prefer the former but cant find it.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I find the one with the macro to be a lot more useful but I tend to like to get close to stuff. As far as I understand the lens quality is similar.

8. weirdo

weirdo TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 7, 2014
    Bought the 35-70 3.5 macro. Is there any1 who used close-up filters? How does they fare on this lens?