What lenses should I get?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by vincentius, May 21, 2013.

1. vincentius

vincentius New to TalkEmount

May 21, 2013
    So it's the first time I discovered this forum. I usually relied on dyxum but it appears that NEX users rely less on that forum.
    So.. I fought my lens lust and in the end I haven't bought any new lenses the last year.
    Now, three new Zeiss lenses are coming out and my lens lust is back..

I'm done investing in my A-mount (got a77 and the lenses that I wanted - 16-50/2.8, STF, 135/1.8, and 70-200)
    I've been looking into lenses for my E-mount. So far I have nex7 with 18-55 and 24/1.8.
    Now why you ask, I didn't buy any of the good lenses that came in the last year?
    Simple reason - I was more than satisfied with what I have.

I usually take pictures of events (my zoom lenses usually) and nature (STF usually) and some portraits (135/1.8)
    I just started collecting figurines and I saw the 50mm macro and was lured to it.
    I found that there's the A-mount version but I'm using my NEX 70% (or 85%?) of the time nowadays.
    So now, can you give me opinions which lenses should I get? Right now I'm lusting for all 3.
    - Touit 12mm/2.8 - events? Instead of my 18-55mm? Or any lens that's better and cheaper?
    - Touit 32mm/1.8 - Should I get the 35/1.8 instead? Is this focal length useless because I already have 24/1.8?
    - Touit(?) 50mm/2.8 macro - should I get the 30mm macro or the 50/1.8 instead? I heard people actually use their macro for teles? I tested the 50/1.8 and it was a good length to shoot half/full body pictures with.

I will get them used however, not in a hurry to get them new or anything.
    Thanks for your opinions!
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Welcome to Talknex! You have a nice set up. Are you looking for video or photo, what are you shooting? Since you have the 16-50 zoom, you can judge your needs as well by trying corresponding lengths. Currently Touit lenses need firmware update for propoer focusing on nex-7 which is coming in August. So you can wait for that. For your questions:

- Touit 12mm/2.8 - events?
    According to me it is too wide for event shooting. You will have wide angle distortion. Are 16mm/18mm not wide enough for you?

- Touit 32mm/1.8 - Should I get the 35/1.8 instead?
    35mm has OSS and it might be useful for hand holding, movies, etc. Touit is very good also. It has low contrast wide open and get contrastier stopped down. Again I saw very good to very busy bokeh with this lens.

- Touit(?) 50mm/2.8 macro - should I get the 30mm macro or the 50/1.8 instead?
    I prefer longer macros, again it depends on what you shoot. Touit 50mm will be released next Fall. 50/1.8 is a very good also and cheap esp if you buy as a used lens. It is 1.3 stop faster then Zeiss macro and also has OSS. So it might be better for low light shooting and for better defocused backgrounds with body pictures. Macro lenses sometimes too sharp for portraits and also Zeiss lenses might be too contrasty for people. Again we are speculating until the lens is released.

If you need sharpness and contrast, Zeiss Touit lenses are good choices. Also you have to transition from zooms to primes for shooting.
  3. vincentius

May 21, 2013
    Thank you~ I'm looking for photo only, and I'm shooting events, nature, sometimes people, and just started - figurines. My goal is to minimize the use of my a-mount because I can't always take my big camera anywhere. For quality, mostly I have to bring the big one out, which I'm trying to do less of~
    - Wide - I've seen some good pictures with wide angle for events. 18mm is wide enough, though sometimes I do have to squeeze.. It's mostly company events these days, like free food or stuff, and it gets crowded -_- other times I've experienced includes seated events (backing = shooting over people's head) and small rooms ( ma tea gathering~). That said, the widest lens I own is the 16 from 16-50
    - macro - I'm going to use them mainly for figurines, though I want to try learning what else they can be used for. I'll keep thinking about this one then - I do like the 50/1.8, it's just that I haven't found the use of the tele end of my 18-55mm much because with the NEX I tend to go up close to my subjects, they're less bothered by a small camera :s
    On zooms to primes, I'm pretty used to primes as I was using a 50/1.7 (Minolta), a lensbaby, the 135/1.8 and the STF, and the 24/1.8 CZ~
  4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    For macro work you don't need autofocus so I suggest a legacy macro. In fact you don't even need a macro lens for figurines (1:2 macro is 48 mm * 32 mm subject in Nex). With 50 mm macro the 1:2 magnification is about 25 cm focusing distance and lightning is difficult. Around 100 mm and light tent makes life much easier.
  5. vincentius

May 21, 2013
    Ah I see the problem.. Sounds like the 50/1.8 is more suitable for me than the macro.. Thank you - I'll keep this in mind!
    The figurines I want to take pictures of are 65mm - 100mm tall.
  6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    No, SEL50F18 may be pretty good for your other needs but it is less than optimum for figurines. It has got minimum focus distance on 39 cm and maximum magnification of 1:6. That is roughly 15 cm*10 cm subject will fill the sensor. SEL1855 has got minimum focusing distance of 25 cm and will have maximum magnification of 1:2.1. Proper macro may have better resolution, flat field, lower color aberrations etc..
  7. vincentius

May 21, 2013
    Now I feel like just getting a macro adapter for my lensbaby and maybe a Edge 80 for the distance..
  8. GaryR60

GaryR60 TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2013
    It really depends on what you intend to shoot, but, if you're like most of us, that's everything, so you'll want to cover the gamut from macro to wide-angle to telephoto. Thus, a good list of native lenses might be:

30mm macro
    16mm pancake

You can supplement these with legacy lenses from other manufacturers.
  9. artabn

artabn TalkEmount Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Anyone recommend a good micro lens
  10. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Legacy macro I would go with the MD 35/70 or the 50mm macro.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app
  11. artabn

Jun 2, 2013
    Sorry what does legacy macro mean. New to this. I have the 30 provided by Sony. Too close and intense. My partner has 100 canon macro trying for longer reach.
  12. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Legacy basically means non-native manual focus lenses that you adapt on NEX. For macro, you'll mainly use MF anyway.

If you're interested in ~ 100mm, you can consider

* Tokina 90mm f/2.5 Macro (also appear as Vivitar Series 1) "Bokina"
    * Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm f/2.5 Macro
    * Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro
    * Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 Macro
    * Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro (also appear as Phoenix, Promaster, Vivitar) Plastic
    * Kiron 105mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro (also appear as Lester Dine, Vivitar)
    * Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Close Focusing

Or OEM

* Canon FD 100mm f/4
    * Minolta MC or MD 100mm f/3.5
    * Nikon 105mm f/2.8 (make sure get one with aperture)
    * Pentax Takumar 100mm f/4

Or if budget not a problem

* Zeiss Planar 100mm f/2 macro
    * Voigtlander APO Lanthar 125mm f/2.5

I know, too many choices. You'll need to tell what is your preference. There're different trade-offs.
  13. artabn

Jun 2, 2013
    Cool. Thanks makes sense.