1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What lens to bring to the Bahamas ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Amamba, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    We're renting a condo in the Bahamas for a week.

In the sprirt of having a mirrorless (i.e. traveling light) I am planning on bringing the least amount of gear possible that still lets me get decent photos.

So, here's what I have:

SEL1855

SEL50f18

Σ30/2.8

Σ19/2.8

Σ12-24 UWA (used withLA-EA2)

MF lenses - all in Minolta MD: 28/2, 50/1.7, 135/2.8, 35-70/3.5, 70-210/4, 2x TC

and an external flash.

What I plan on bringing:

SEL1855 as everyday lens, SEL50f18 for portraits and low light, 135/2.8+tc for occasional tele, leave UWA at home.

Reasoning: I'd like to bring the UWA but it's sizable and I don't know how many opportunities I would have to use it. These beach scapes all tend to look the same after a while. 18-55 in good light should be a good substiute for both Sigmas. 50/1.8 is the best portrait lens and is the best low light lens I have. Finally, I don't usually need tele at the beach, so the small 135/2.8 should suffice.

Alternative setup:

35-70 as main walkaround, 50/1.8 for portraits, Σ19/2.8 for wide anlge shots, 135/2.8+TC. This would probably be the best IQ overall, but with two active kids having a MF lens as my main lens may be limiting; also, it's about 2x the size of the kit.

What do you think ?

2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I think your first set sounds like the ideal one. That's what I'd go with.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I also think you need a AF lens for sure if you want to capture kids running around ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, I ended up using 18-55 for most shots. Never got out the 50, didn't really need tele either. I do wish I brought UWA with me.

Looking at 18-55 photos at home, they are decent but not great. It seems this lens works the best on mid-range objects in the center of the frame, but doesn't quite deliver on landscapes. I was actually thinking of Ad and his obsession with edge sharpness ;)

On the other hand, I didn't have to change lenses all the time... no other combo of lenses I have would be as good for walking around downtown Nassau. My Sigma 12-24 UWA and 35-70 would give better range and better IQ but it would be a rather large package and I'd have to change lenses more often. Perhaps I should be thinking of getting an UWA attachment for Sigma 19, then with 30 it would make a nice compact travel kit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    18-55 @18mm / f10, a processed RAW

20140410-DSC00304 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

While this is not as good as what I'd like to see, tbh, it's not bad either. I got spoiled shooting excellent sharp lenses on Canon for as long as I owned the brand (almost immediately ditched the kit lens first for Tamron 17-50/2.8 and then Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS), so I am not used to kit performance... perhaps I should've kept it at f8, althought I don't think the diffraction is noticeable after f11.

While I processed it and bumped up clarity quite a bit and vibrance a little, the sea actually was that color... absolutely amazing. Never seen such beautiful waters before.

• Like Like x 4
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^Lovely!!! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I'll post some more in the sample images section.

• Like Like x 1