1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What lens for a wedding?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by yaeld, Jan 22, 2014.

1. yaeld

yaeld TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    Monte Vista, CO
    Hello,

I have a Nex 6 and several prime lens with an adapter. I also have the 16-50 but I'm not a big fan of it.
    I was asked to do a wedding this summer, nothing big, and I'm interested to get a good zoom lens. The point of zoom vs prime is I won't have to change back and forth between the prime lens.
    I don't really have a budget but also the offer is limited. I think part of the wedding will be inside so I'm more looking into the 18-105 or the 16-70 or maybe even a 18-200... it would be nice to have one that does good close up too (not macro just close up). Kids will be present at the wedding, I would feel better with an AF lens than using a manual lens.

Could you guys help me a recommend a zoom lens you have used for weddings? Any other advice is welcome too.

Thank you for your help,
    Yael

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Hi,

never shot a wedding, but knowing some wedding photographers (who mainly use 24-70 and 70-200 2.8s on ff bodies) and knowing the usual light conditions, the only really viable option from the lenses you listed is the 16-70. You'll need every half stop of light you can get, and f/4 is quite a bit better than f/5.sth that the other two have to offer at 70mm. As for the focal length, it's a 24 - 105 equivalent, so you should be able to cover most things, and you just need to get a little closer for some key shots than with a longer lens. If that's not possible, it might be handy to have a longer lens at hand, even if it's just something like the 55-210.

Please note that this is all just theory, somebody who actually shot a wedding might give some more insightful tipps.

3. yaeld

yaeld TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    Monte Vista, CO
    I did weddings before, and I could manage some low light until the evening shows up then it would be harder.
    I have a 135mm and 200mm prime so I could work with those if needed. I would love to get the 16-70 though the price is a bit high... the 18-105 seems better regarding the $$$.

Yes, someone with more experience with those lens and weddings would be nice and thank you very much for your input!

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Don't know much about the IQ of the 18-105, but don't forget that it's a power zoom lens, so before buying it test just how fast you can adjust focal length. At a wedding, I guess you don't have 2 - 3 seconds to go from the wide end to the long end. Don't know if it has some kind of mechanical coupling or 'super fast' zoom mode, never handled it, it's just a thing you should consider.

5. yaeld

yaeld TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    Monte Vista, CO
    true the 16-50 is like that and I'm not a big fan.. I wondering if I should trade the 16-50 for the 18-55 to start with!

6. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I'm also shooting a wedding in April for a friend and it's my first time.

I'm thinking most will be on my 18-55 and use a lot of bounce flash to compensate for the insideness (is that a word!).
    I'll be doing most of the formal shots with my 50mm OM.
    I've done a couple of test shoots with friends families last weekend and seemed to go ok.
    Will also have my 55-210 on hand to get some sneaky shots long distance - I'm a bit worries about lack of light, but I used this lens effectively indoors when shooting the pupils at my other halves school for some new website pics. I started with the 18-55, but had to get so close it distracted the kids so couldn't get them in their natural habitat - 55-210 solved that and at the time only had the OEM baby flash, I have a big boys SB-700 now so hoping it will be even more effective at the wedding.

I have the 'SMOR' flash hot shot adaptor arriving soon which fools the NEX into thinking a flash is attached so doesn't dim the screen when using the SB... Don't think you'll have that issue with the 6 as it has a proper shoe already.

Hopefully some help but also posting to see what tips others post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. yaeld

yaeld TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    Monte Vista, CO
    I could get the 18-55 and the 55-210, it would be cheaper, the ISO on the Nex 6 is great so I won't have a problem going higher. I have a wireless flash system too, need to practice more with it to be ready for a wedding but it's going to be in July, so it won't be a problem I think.
    I would love that 16-70 but I don't think I can even get that amount of money, the wedding is just going to be 3 hours long + processing time.

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you use a flash, you'll be fine with the apertures of the kit lenses. Just make sure your shots are consistent. If you want to go without a flash, don't underestimate the one stop advantage of the 16-70 or 18-105. The difference between ISO 800 and 1600 might not be devastating, but it's a different story between 3200 and 6400 or 6400 and 12800.

9. yaeld

yaeld TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    Monte Vista, CO
    I don't want to shoot with flash all the time and I won't have to anyway... who knows, used 16-70 could be at a good price this summer!

10. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Sounds like we are in the same boat! Only you have a better camera... (Sympathy please!)

I'm doing it free of charge, just charging for the prints, not my time.
    I would scrape the cash together for an A7 but I'm getting married 2 weeks before the shoot so funds are tight!!! A7 or Nex7 replacement will be being purchased this year tho, which would make the shoot easier.

11. yaeld

yaeld TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    Monte Vista, CO
    I'm very happy with the Nex 6 and I used to have a Nikon D90 before that... I use lots of old prime but which the zoom option where better from Sony or third party

12. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Nex is NOT a wedding camera, sorry. Nex 6 with 18-55 is probably as fast focusing as the system gets, and it can get fairly slow in dim light. If you're dead set on using Nex, get /rent LA-EA2 and a couple fast zooms (say 17-50/2.8 and 70-200/2.8).

13. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    If I was being paid, I would! Fully appreciate that the AF is gonna be a pain!

14. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    • Like Like x 1
  15. yaeld

yaeld TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    Monte Vista, CO
    Nex6 is good for a wedding, the limitation of lens is the issue especially for zoom lens.
    I could go with 2 prime and switch back and forth but I don't really would like to do that. I shoot a wedding with a Nikon D90, the 18-105, a 70-300 and the cheap 50 1.8 that I used indoors. I have prime so I'm good with that, I just need to find a zoom that can focus fast... I thing this is where the problem is.

16. Imasphere

Imasphere TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2014
    You could rent the 16-70 for the evening and charge the rental fees to the couple getting married. This would cost them a lot less than hiring a pro photographer, maybe $50 or $60, I'm not quite sure of the rental fees but usually it's not that expensive.
    The only down side is that if you end up loving that lens you'll probably eventually want to buy it ;)

17. yaeld

yaeld TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    Monte Vista, CO
    Good thought! I have never rented a lens before, how does that work?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TalkEmount mobile app

18. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I was going to rent a flash but ended up buying one with Xmas bonus money...
    I found loads of sites just googling 'rent camera equipment', not sure where you are, but I was going to use this UK based site;
    http://www.lux-studios.co.uk/accessories.html

Basically they ship it to you, you use it, and ship it back - all very easy and SUPER cheap compared to buying if it is going to be an occasional need for said equipment/lens.

19. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I wouldn't call it 'super cheap', as you basically pay 20% of the lens price to use it for three days, but if you need the tool for the job, it's definitely cheaper than buying the lens.

20. yaeld

yaeld TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    Monte Vista, CO
    I'm in the US, I'll have to look around on line and see who has what and at what price.
    But you think that the 16-70 should be the one to go with?