What lens do YOU want to see for Sony NEX?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    So far, there is an 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 superzoom, 16/2.8 prime, and the new 30/3.5 macro.

According to rumor, we are about to see a Zeiss 24/1.8, Sony 50/1.8, and a Sony 55-210mm f/3.5-6.3 zoom.

On the roadmap for 2012 is a wide zoom, a high performance "G" standard zoom, and a medium telephoto lens of some sort.

What else would you like to see? I'll put some options on the poll, but please comment!

2. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    A fast 35mm -- maybe 2.0, but 1.8 or 1.4 is even better. 50mm is my favorite FL, but 30/3.5 is too slow. C'mon Sony -- get us a "normal" fast lens.

3. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    A 35mm f1.8 or f2.0 would be good enough for me. I used to desire the fastest glass I could afford but now I'm more interested in glass that is sharp at its widest aperture even if that means I give up some speed, which is likely.

4. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    A decent quality 24 f2 at half the rumoured price of the Zeiss and for the WA zoom and the G standard zoom to appear sooner in 2012 rather than later.

5. Delhaye

Delhaye TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 19, 2011
    Manchester, UK
    I'd go for fast primes, 24 and 35mm. The zoom range will be more or less covered with the introduction ofrhe new 55-210mm

6. Melv

Melv TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Rotherham, U.K.
    I'd like to see the likes of Sigma, Tamron and Voigtlander offering some alternatives to either Sony or CZ.:rolleyes:

7. Travisennis

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I have nothing to back it up but I think we will see something from Sigma and Voigtlander in the next year.

8. lucispictor

lucispictor New to TalkEmount

Aug 20, 2011
    Yep, a 1.8/35 would be perfect!

9. CesarM

CesarM TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 20, 2011
    Mexico
    i love macro photography but i choose the Small 35mm f/1.8 lens
    for the blur on the pictures

10. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I don't expect to use any other E lenses apart from the 18-55 as I have other glass to use and this was a major factor in purchase, and fro this reason I have not voted....

However, a few nights ago I was looking at my old Jupiter 12 which is a fascinating design in 35mm f2.8. For those who don't know this lens it has a built-in lens hood and the focussing ring effectively 'hangs off' the front of the lens. The actual optical barrel is right back almost against the image plain and is only about an inch long.

While I was handling the lens I was surmising about how this, or similar, lens might be remounted to provide an extremely compact 'standard lens' for NEX. I think that NEX 3 (& C3) are flatter than is the NEX 5 but such a lens would scarcely protrude in front of the hand grip of NEX 5. This would provide a standard f2.8 lens in a very small camera that could be carried easily in a flat belt pouch and could be extremely useful in certain circumstances,....in fact, this would provide the smallest APS-C camera rig, as far as I can see.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    More lenses! (I don't need yet another body)

12. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    A small but fast 35 would be great. It would be equivalent to 50 in full frame.

I also like the 24, which would be equivalent to 35 on the NEX. But the new Zeiss 24 is chunky and expensive!

13. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Not only would a 35mm f/1.8 lens be desired, it "should" in theory be easy for Sony to develop since they already have the 35mm f/1.8 lens for the A mount. Give it OSS and keep it as affordable as the new 50mm 1.8 OSS and Sony has a winner.

14. Jaladhi Pujara

Jaladhi Pujara New to TalkEmount

Aug 28, 2011
    A 28mm f2 or f2.4 pancake/small lens that would give me 42mm equivalent. Such a lens with the new 50mm f1.8 would take care of most of my needs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Travisennis

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    The 28mm focal length has become my favorite on the NEX, so I whole heartedly agree with that this would be nice to see. However, unless it was quite good optically and reasonably priced, I doubt a native lens at this focal length would ever cause me to abandon my CV 28mm Ultron.

16. Simon Schofield

Simon Schofield New to TalkEmount

Aug 29, 2011
    I'd definitely prefer more options for Macro photography. something faster than the new SEL30M35 and probably with a longer focal length...

Also, as someone else said, i'd like to see a lot more choice and competition from other lens manufacturers, breaking into the E-mount market.

17. Kuriizu

Kuriizu TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    I would be happy to see the 24mm, gotta agree that the Zeiss is kinda expensive, but yeah would be nice this one. And 50-150mm would be a nice zoom to carry around IMO.

18. bosker

bosker TalkEmount Rookie

I would love to see a fast pancake like the Lumix 20mm f1.7 that featured the same small size and produced the same excellent quality shots. I don't have the Sony 16mm pancake because I read the reviews and opted for the 18-55 kit lens instead, why can't Sony have an excellent fast quality pancake? However I will probably end up with the 16mm at some point.

19. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    In order of my preference:

1) 18-55/2.8 OSS, with great optics, about the size of the current kit lens, for about $550 max.

2) A sharp, fast, relatively inexpensive pancake prime in the 28-40 mm range. 16mm just doesn't work for me as the only lens within reach (which is what having a pancake implies).

3) xx-300 OSS (would love to have it start at 55 but 75 would be OK) with good optics and fast AF, around $350.

4) Something along the lines of 100/2 Macro - a long, fast, sharp stabilized prime with smooth bokeh and macro.

20. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Only thing missing for me is a fast portrait lens. Somewhere between 60mm and 85mm f/1.8 or faster. In the meantime, the 50mm 1.8 is a great lens and more than enough for most portraits, so I'm not in a hurry.