What lens combo for Trip to Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by tomO2013, May 29, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Option 1:
    I'm thinking 28 f2, 35 f2.8 and 55 f1.8 as it's likely to be street shooting than scenery or serious portraiture? 55 also doubles up for candid portraits. Enough space left for two bodies a7s and a7ii (night and day shooting)

Option 2:
    24-70 f4
    70-200 f4
    55 f1.8
    A7ii and try to squeeze in a7s.

Option 3:
    Holy trinity
    24-70
    70-200
    16-35
    A7ii (try and squeeze in 55 1.8 or 35 f2.8 and leave second body at home)

Any advice?

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    If it's a fairly rare sort of a one time trip, then I'd start with the base of taking 2 cameras...have backup so the trip could not be a total loss.
    Then if I COULDN'T figure a way to take 3 lenses I'd take the 24-70 & 70-200.
    Push came to shove, I'd make up the 1 stop aperture difference with ISO.

3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Do you already own all those lenses? If so, I recommend the following trilogy:

70-200mm F4
    55mm F1.8
    Really good travel insurance

And stay away from Main / Hastings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'd leave the 70-200 behind. It's a big, heavy beast of a lens, and if inconspicuity for street shooting is of any interest to you, it'll ruin that for sure. You'll be "that guy" with a camera.

In its place you'd have room to carry any or all of your other options. Better yet, just pick up a 24-240 and call it good. :D

5. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    One last combo that I was thinking...

16-35 F4
    55 1.8
    70-200 F4.
    Call it a day!
    I thought Vancouver was one of the safer cities in North America. Thanks for the heads up.

I want something for street shooting , but also have my options covered for portrait and landscape.

The advise for taking 2 bodies is good.

I had thought of just taking 70-200, 55 and 16-35. From an architecture perspective it might be nice to have the wider angle...

• Like Like x 1
  6. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    Thanks for the tip on travel insurance. I always thought vancouver was one of the safer cities...

7. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I spent several days in Vancouver at the beginning of this month, using my A6000 and my NEX-6. Although I had an 18-250mm zoom available, plus my 16-50mm kit lens, I found that over 90% of my shots were taken with either my Zeiss 24mm f:1.8 or my Sony 50mm F1.8, which are equivalent to 35mm and 75mm on your A7 cameras.

Having said that, a couple of my favorite images were taken with the 16-50. One of those is a night-time shot of float planes that I posted here a few days ago, and the other is this night-time image of a cruise ship at its dock.

Vancouver-4.

In regard to your comment about scenery, Vancouver is in the middle of some great scenery. To give you a feel for what is available, here is an image looking back toward the city from the top of the nearby Grouse Mountain, which is reachable by road or via a tram from the bottom.

Vancouver-7.

- Tom -

8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Most of Vancouver is actually very safe, but the dangerous parts of it felt very sketchy to me. Vancouver has a big drug addiction / homeless problem. Maybe I'm just lucky to live in Australia.

I was mostly just joking that you'd look a little conspicuous carrying around all that gear :rolleyes-20:

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I was in Vancouver last Labor/Labour Day. It IS one of the safest major cities. And Hastings is not to be a concern if you're passing through there during the day. Coming from NYC, I grew up in neighborhoods way tougher than the worst part of Vancouver! ;)

I had my 55-210mm and the 16-50 kit with me, and the long lens wasn't that useful. Wide angle and fast glass for low light shots, are the lenses you want to have. The city is breathtaking, and rich with photo opportunities. You are going to have a splendid time.

10. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I don't have an A7... but have spent many years traveling with nothing but a 35mm lens on a Nikon and didn't miss other lenses too much. These days I'd grab a standard zoom lens and something faster and slightly wide like the 28mm FE and would be set but of course it depends on your needs and priorities. My main reason to go all mirrorless after 25 years with Nikon and others has been the reduced weight and bulk. The less the better, as long as my basic requirements are met. For casual stuff I still use my humble X10 a darn lot, I don't leave home without it, so far without any regrets whatsoever. YMMV.

11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    What and how you plan to shoot is what matters most. For me, I would say 24-70z and 55z and an extra body. I don't know how wide open Vancouver is but 70-200 would be last on my list as it is huge and the focal length is tight for my city use. Unless you are one of those people that do a lot of sneak photography vs street photography :). The 16-35z is tough. It can certainly come in handy in the city for architecture in close quarters if you don't care about the overall weight of your gear. Whatever you choose, Enjoy!

12. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    Took the 24-70z , 55 1.8 and 70-200 and a second body a7s for night shooting.
    Beautiful city. Cannon fodder everywhere.
    70-200 is for sea planes! Miss my 35 2.8 though!
    Thanks for the help guys

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  13. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    The 24-240 is made for traveling. :)
    I'm going to Seattle then down the coast, ending up in San Francisco. Plan on taking the 24-240 and the 28 F2 for low light situations.

The holy trinity is a great kit but too much to carry around when traveling with others.

14. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Why is there a speedlite on a TT5 and light stand pointed at the tram?

15. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    The speedlight was actually there as a off-camera flash for a professional photographer who had been taking images of people posing with the owl and his handler. That had stopped for a short time while the handler was giving a talk, and the photographer's assistant left the flash pointing nowhere in particular.

- Tom -