1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What is your tripod?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Apr 1, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi is time
    to do a small investment into a tripod. What it would be good to have
    -is small foot print so it can easily be used in crowded theaters
    -small size for carying
    -lightweight

1. Which one you have?
    2. What is your recommendation?
    3. What you think is an appropriate height that the tripod should have when deployed? 1m? 1.5m?...

Regards
    A

2. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    have you thought of a monopod, perhaps for health and safety reason a tripod will not be allowed in a theatre, and the monopod will give you more maneuverability

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I bet if you asked a 100 photographers what their "perfect" tripod is, you'd get a 100 different answers, Alex. I currently own 4 different tripods and a monopod, plus a tiny, table-top tripod that I use mostly for iPhone photography. I use them all, and I would have a hard time telling which is "best," because some are better at different tasks than the others.

Do I need a rock-solid platform and I don't need to carry it very far? I'll use this one. Do I need a small, light, but full-height tripod that will fit in my motorcycle's top case? I'll use that one. Do I need something even smaller that I can fit in one of my three camera bags? A different one. Do I want to mount the camera on a tree limb, or a post or railing? Am I going to shoot video and need a damped video head? And so on...

I didn't buy all those tripods and bags at once. But somewhere along the way I felt the need (or desire) for somehting a little different than I had at the time.

My free advice: Buy any cheap tripod that can extend to a height where your camera is at eye-level when you're standing. Why cheap? Because you will either get rid of it soon enough, or find something better with which to supplement it once you've discovered what sort of subjects you most like to shoot. Almost any tripod will do at first. This isn't something you need to wrestle with. If it gives you a stable platform, it's a good tripod. The cheaper, the better. Who knows, maybe your friends might have one they'll give you. I've given away a few over the years.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    My advice would be to buy a small, carbon tripod with a lightweight ballhead. These cameras are small and light, match your tripod to them.

For my DSLRs, I use a Horus Bennu (silly name, Korean company with most of the manufacturing done in China), but it's an EXCELLENT tripod. It cost me a fraction of the price of a name-brand CF tripod, and the design is all copied from the Gitzo/Benro tripods. Plus, the head it came with is standard Arca Swiss, which I love. I like doing night photography as well as daytime long exposures with ND filters, and this tripod's served me very well. They have several small/lightweight ones (some incorporating a smart design that folds the legs backwards to reduce its size during transport), check them out, you might find something that fits your style and budget.

EDIT: Also, on the model I have (and many others) one of the legs is detachable to act as a monopod...so I got a solid carbon tripod, a carbon monopod and an Arca-Swiss plated fluid ballhead that happily supports my big/heavy camera lens combo (I've taken it to China, Hong Kong, Macau, Korea, Japan, etc) for under $200! But mine's a bigger one, with a NEX, you can get away with significantly smaller tripods (and therefore cheaper).

5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, highly recommend the ones with detachable monopods for value-for-money, I have one by Jusino which cost me just over $100 and was perfect on safari

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

6. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Peter Chin is my real name.
    Assorted Gitzos and Manfrottos soon some RRS crap too ... :doh:

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I would say that cheapish is the way. There are lots of pretty usable tripods (~50 USD) available from China. Those ultra cheap ones are almost unusable and cheapish tripod can serve as a backup tripod later.

I am looking about Manfrotto MKC3-H01 at the moment. It will fit my shoulder bag and I have two Manfrotto 190 copies.

8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    True...there's a HUGE improvement from a cheap tripod to a mid-range tripod. And only incremental improvement going from a mid-range tripod to an expensive one.

I'd highly recommend ballhead, though...I used to always have cheap panheads, then I went ballhead and I'll never go back!

Plus, Arca Swiss plates (many ballheads) are so small that they really don't need to be removed from your camera. My 5D Mark II has had the plate on it since I bought the tripod 6 months ago...it's small and light, not worth bothering to take it off, and this way I know I never misplace it!

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Same with those Manfrotto plates (or copies). I have several plates and have one in every camera.

Ball heads are maybe the biggest difference between good tripods and excellent tripods. With excellent ball heads directing camera where you want is much easier. I got a cheap pistol grip head and it works ok but I wouldn't use it with very heavy lens.

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, OK. I agree that cheapish is a better recommendation than cheapest. And I totally agree about the ball head. But I don't know about recommending Arca Swiss or RRS to Alex at this stage in his photographic development, unless money is no object, of course. :rolleyes:

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Being very cheap I didn't mind paying something like 2 euros per copy Manfrotto plate (I don't know the model but these fit my Manfrotto copy tripods). I have Velbon ball head stored somewhere so I think that I will have pretty usable combination if I will find it.

12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I had a first look on ebay for what type of tripods are according to your tips. I just give one link here to give you space for more comments

61'' Professional PRO JUSINO TK253 Tripod & Monopod for Canon Nikon DSLR Camera | eBay

1. This one goes up to 150cm height. Would not be better to reach also at my eye level, circa 178cm?
    2. Does it really have a ballhead. I have not seen this in the images. Of course I might be mistaken
    3. Can I use also the monopod for self portraits? I recall that there are special arms for self-portraits, but why not use the monopod for that?

I think I am close to make my list of what I need, and when is ready I will share it here to allow you comment that this is not possible :p and make me put priorities :)

13. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yes this looks like the one I have. It is just right for me, but I'm not particularly tall. That said, it does appear they've removed the ballhead in the picture and may sell it separately - it's worth asking them to spell it out clearly whether it is included or not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

14. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Alois.......

You might want to rethink about a ball head.

A decent ball head has to be sturdy (and heavy) to do the job properly. It holds the camera frimly in the position you have set but is NOT flexible in use.

A reasonable video head offers much more to modern photographers;......you can easlily scan the subject area to compose,...you can easlily spot meter different tones,.......you can easlily use focus aid to check sharpness,...and, lastly you can shoot smooth video. In addition all the three adjustments are instantly locked/unloked without having to hold the camera (as with ball head)

Buy a reasonably decent 'cheap' tripod like a Velbon CX which is light, comes with attached video head,...it's NOT the best tripod in the world but offers an inexpensive, easlily used camera suport for stills and video. It's ideal for use with NEX and will allow you to extend your work a lot. Once you have used it you will then know much more about what you are looking for in a better tripod (you can then use the Velbon for a lighting stand)

15. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi thanks
    any advice for tripods that have also (hehe is time to say that is impossible) that have a small footprint?

A.

16. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    The VelbonCX type is not big,.....light enough to use as an impromtu 'monopod' by leaving the legs together.......

.....Although light weight tripods are NOT ideal, you can help them considerably by hanging some weight underneath the spread tripod when you take the shot. I use a loop of webbing to simply hang my rucksack (or camera bag) under the tripod. In rocky areas you can hang a small boulder in a mesh bag under the tripod to give weight (someone makes this bag but I can't remember who). Some makes of tripod have a hook provided for extra weight to be attached but a loop of webbing or even a loop if strong string will suffice.

17. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    Tripods? Yes I have a few :p :

Stativ_zpsdc6f6869.

Off topic, I know! But I got a moment without anything to do.

18. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    OMG... Hope you don't have a separate camera for each one!?!?!?!?! :biggrin:

I use 2 models:
    Manfrotto Compact MKC3-P01
    and
    GorillaPod DSLR
    Like both of them and decided for small tripods matching the size and weight of camera and rest of equipment.

19. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Michael is cheating: more than half of the tripods are meant for studio flashes and the like, not cameras :).

20. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Tru but it should be exactly 50% as I forgot to include my monopod :p .