1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What is your favorite self portrait lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Apr 1, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    actually this fits very well on in the nex camera lenses and here as well.
    The main reason I got a nex-f3 was the budget but also the capability to do self-portraits easily. I always wanted to be able to take self portraits with my wife directly.
    Two days now we had a great fun and experience with those. I have doing self portraits with the sigma 30mm and with the kit 1855 lens!
    I wanted to ask what is your favorite lens for self-portraits. What have you been using what you recoomend?

From my two days experience I would like to share that the 30mm lens the two faces fill up the image easily without any space left for background. I would admit that I found most useful the 18 or the 24 focal length for allowing a bit of the background fill in the image.

Regards
    A

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Bear in mind that going with a wider angle lens will give your faces more distorted features (big noses, bulbous eyes, etc.). Have you considered just carrying around one of these?

David

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    That's is indeed to some extent true... but when I was using the 18mm focal length I had to pull the camera a bit away from our faces so I have not noticed to much of these stretches.

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    can I have the same effect also with a monopod or not?
    R.
    Alex

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    My favourite is any lens with the lens cap still on it.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Well I ment is that would be handy to use it, btw I also do this trick with the lens cap! Good one

7. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Due to the optical distortion I would not recommend any focal length under 50mm (= 35mm at the NEX)!

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner! :rofl:

9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Taking from your post, I consider your budget limited and your aim to capture instant self portraits without setting up a tripod and so on, right? Well, then about your only options are the Sigma 19mm or the new Sony 20mm pancake, both f/2.8.

But as Grisu mentioned, the perspective (not optical ;)) distortion may be pretty bad. I once tried what minimal focal length I need to get frame-filling head and shoulder portraits without very noticeable distortion, and found 50mm (75mm eq) to be sufficient, but the distance to the subject then is almost too little - which may be an advantage for you. Is it an option to set up a tripod? If yes, the Sony 50mm f/1.8 may be a brilliant choice.

Edit: Almost forgot it: For different situations different lenses. You'll need a wider angle lens and a portrait lens at least - one for showing the environment too, the other for strict portrait use.

10. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    For your needs, documenting your family, you are probably best off using the telescope mentioned above and the kit lens set at an appropriate focal length. Perhaps 30mm +-5mm.

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Never really done self portraits, but here's on with the 19mm Sigma and F3

DSC02065.JPG

12. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Psst... You forgot to shave ;)
    / Fellow Beardie

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    ya ya

14. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    For some reason I love the sigma 30mm for portraits, and some 50mm respectively, is my favorite equally.