1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What is the P* mode in the NEX6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by izzikiorage, Feb 23, 2014.

1. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Hi everyone

I've been using the amazing NEX6 for over 8 months now and am fimilliar with most of the stuff that it offers. However had two major questions

1. When you rotate the dial (under the mode dial) when in P mode you switch to a P* mode. What is this and how can I use this better
    2. Is there any way to enable face detection in P mode, otherwise it underexposes faces or does not focus on them
    3. I heard somewhere that there is a way to get a more defocused background using the cam software. Here the cam takes 2 shots and then calculates what is the background and blurs it out giving a better isolated subject

Please help me out with these or let me know if you've been wondering the same

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    P* is program shift - lets you adjust the aperture/shutter away from the starting auto values the camera worked out. Its like a temporary manual mode, quite handy if the camera has got it close and you just want to tweak it a bit, rather than going to full manual mode (which would restore whatever the last manual settings you used were, which likely are miles away from what you need).

• Like Like x 2
  3. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Wow, I did not know that. I get how turning the dial (the one under the mode dial) lets me reduce the aperture, but how do I change the shutter speed using this?

4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Not sure as I don't own a 6, I'm sure someone will be able to tell you tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Both aperture and shutter speed change when in P mode and turning the dial, keeping the sensitivity at the same value even when using auto ISO. I consider P mode rather useless because you almost always end up with an aperture/shutter speed/ISO combination that is not optimal, I never use it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I as well don't use it much. If I'm using a manual focus lens I use "S" mode.

If using an autofocus lens I usually use one of the "SCN" presets.

• Like Like x 1
  7. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Cool, guess its not a very useful thing then.

So is there a way to get face detection in p mode? And is there a mode where the cam will give me better seperation of subject and background by taking multiple shots?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I'm sure others use it, just not me.

9. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Guys, any help in finding the elusive mode that'll allow me to get a better separation than what my lens is capable of. Also is there any way to enable face detection in the P mode

10. BlueBill

BlueBill TalkEmount Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    What do you mean by "better separation"?

If you want to do some automatic post fixing try DXO optics, they have a trial version.

• Like Like x 1
  11. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    It supposedly emulates a smaller dof by taking 2 shots and then blurring out the background

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

12. BlueBill

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    For that you need a fast lens with a large aperture. That said I wish Sony would make that a downloadable app (some of their entry cameras have the two shot blurred background mode) along with focus stacking (handy for macro photography).

• Like Like x 1
  13. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
  14. BlueBill

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    I don't get Sony's camera software department. Here's a company that's selling off several divisions, its head office in Japan, and posting massive losses and layoffs. They're keeping their camera division which is good, and their hardware is top-notch, but their software division could use some help.

I sold off my NEX-6 to buy an A6000 when available in April. I really hated the byzantine NEX menu system, it seemed like it was designed by someone who loved button sequences on a PS3. Sony also doesn't seem interested in opening up their camera app store to third party developers, I can't fathom why.

I'm an embedded hardware designer who happens to also write firmware, and hardware isn't what it was 20yrs ago. I know Sony could improve their camera software and establish a very loyal customer base. But Sony still thinks like a hardware company and is only interested in pushing the newest toy out the door.

• Like Like x 3
  15. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    I agree, the sony camera seem to have a crazy amount of potential. Potential that the firmware/apps just aren't able to use to the fullest. The other day I was reading about a petition to give the NEX a Fuji type dual display (one normal and one magnified). That's an awesome idea and if you open it to independent devs who knows what else they can think of. All we need is something like a CHDK on sony, the hardware is in place, the software can do it it's just a matter of writing the releasing the right apps

But sony want's to be secure, safe, slow

16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I love that feature!!!