What is the heavies lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, May 11, 2015.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    that you ever put on your aps-c body? I am thinking to try a friends 70-200 zoom lens that typically weight 1.5kg (If I am not wrong). Would I be able to keep hanging the camera with my strap or the body can crack from that weight?\

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Not able to factually answer your question about the lens mount area of the NEX body. I will offer anecdotal information about the NEX that might raise questions about overall build strength.

I've seen posts where users have claimed that the weight of a moderate sized zoom lens on a tripod mounted NEX has caused the tripod socket to break out of the bottom of the NEX body. As a result, to this day, I have never / will never mount my NEX-7 on a tripod using the NEX body tripod socket...I only use 'Tripod Style Adapters' for my legacy lenses.

Now, can the dots be connected between that 'apparent' weak area in an NEX body...and the strength of the lens mount...is anybody's guess. But ever the conservative / skeptic, my entire mindset in handling my equipment is that the lens is everything...it is the center of attention and I "carry the lens"...the little NEX-7 is simply attached to the back of the lens.

Here's a photo of one of my most used lenses...there is a strap on the camera but it is only an emergency last gasp attempt to keep the camera/lens from hitting the concrete if I should lose my grip on it. I do not trust the little NEX bodies to support lenses of any size to speak of...others mileage may vary of course.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    I would use common sense....the body was never designed to support a rather heavy legacy lens that's cantilevered further out by an adapter.

I also use adapters with built-in tripod mounts for whenever I need to steady a shot with a hefty lens. Even a 200mm f4 all metal and glass example is too much IMHO, and rarely you will find a tripod collar on anything less than 300mm. (I know there are exceptions!)

You can buy a sling strap that you can screw its attachment to a long telephoto's tripod collar, and not rely on the neck strap and body.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It is pointless to use a tripod with 1.5 kg lens if you are going to use the camera tripod socket. It will be very unstable. I have a Tair 3 that is about 1.7 kg.

There are lens collars available. If they fit your lens it is better to use them than adapter with tripod socket as it is better to have the lens fixed to tripod from center point of gravity or as near you can get.
  5. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    My concern is mostly when walking. While shooting I can use my hand to support the heavy lens with my hand but when I walk I like to have the camera hanging at the side. I guess in that case a heavy lens might make the body really crack..
  6. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    The mount should be at much less risk off the tripod with the lens facing the ground because it is applying less torque to the mount. But if the lens bounces around as you walk, there's a dynamic load which with time can fatigue the mount.
    When I carry a NEX on my neck with a heavy lens, I try to keep one hand on the lens when I'm moving.
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Sony explicitly states (can't remember where) to support the lens instead of the A7 camera when the FE 70-200mm is mounted. This lens weighs "only" 900 g and the A7 is bigger than the NEX cameras so I speculate that it's not wise to mount a 1.7 kg lens on a NEX and not support the lens. I also carry the lens in my hand with the camera on it instead of letting the camera dangle freely from my neckstrap.
  8. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    "The Tank" My ugliest heaviest lens I own. I wouldn't even be able to consider holding it. This and my new to me Vivitar 400mm lens is a beast too.
    12705507864_387737c8f2_c.jpgPhoenix100-500-1175 by Suzanne Tevsh, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    to be honest i use to worry about this a lot. Then I decided not to worry about it on the a55 body i had. if it breaks it breaks I said. but no, day in and day out with 1.3g and upwards lenses dangling and bouncing around and nothing gave. So, I did the same on a 5n body that I also had little respect for and nothing ever cracked. To be fair if i used a tripod I always used a collar, but still I dangled those lenses a whole lot. Lens mounts can take a bunch of abuse...
    • Informative Informative x 2