1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Benny23, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Benny23

Benny23 New to TalkEmount

Feb 6, 2014
    Hi, I am a little green on this subject and hoping some of you experienced enthusiasts can offer me a little guidance. I am after a compact system camera that has the functionality and speed of a dslr. Specifically improving photography at low light levels, responsive shutter speed and camera portability.
    I have been pointed towards the sony nex range but am struggling to feel my way through the model range 3n, 5r, 5t, 6… On a limited budget I need to get the best I can with what i have in my wallet.
    I hope some of you learned forum users can point me in the right direction, many thanks

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Image quality is the same on all these cameras, provided you use the same lens. So just buy whatever suits you best - do you need a metal body, a viewfinder? Go in a store, put them in your hand and buy whatever you like best.

3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Given your focus on speed (auto focus or f-stop?)/low light, I would say mirror less may not be the way to go (although their high ISO performance is very good). The primary area it loses out on compared to DSLR as the auto focus is contrast or at best hybrid phase/contrast rather than the traditional full phase a mirror gives you.

You can attach the LA-EA2 or 4 (which adapts the camera to fit Sony A-Mount and puts a mirror in front of the sensor again) but its not a perfect solution (loss of light being the primary downer). This also means you would be looking at needing A Mount lenses rather than E Mount.

If you are not worried about super fast AF (and the Nex's with Hybrid are by no means super slow) then it is a great platform and fits all your other requirements.

As Poki says, IQ doesn't vary too much, its more about how many controls you want on the body and accessory options.
    Rough guide...
    3 - no EVF, 'Smart' Accessory port for flash etc
    5 - no EVF, 'Smart' Accessory port, but most controls are in a menu still. Better build quality and larger grip compared to the 3.
    6/7 - EVF, proper flash shoe (may need adaptor still but much better than the 3/5's 'Smart' Port), has various on body controls for aperture/shutter/EV+-

I would wait for the A6000 to the released in a few days (Nex 6/7 replacement) and then bag yourself a deal on the tumbling prices of the 6/7s at that point if budget is a major factor. You might also consider the A3000 which has EVF and a proper shoe and is stupid cheap! It looks more like a DSLR but is still mirror less E Mount.

4. Benny23

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks for the really concise replies, this information is brilliant. If the a6000 is replacing the nex 6, would it be logical to assume the a5000 that is currently available is a replacement to the nex 5's? Just trying to get my head around the myriad of models.

The speed is the primary need but it has to be a portable size (not dslr) so a compromise between these two needs… If there are other suggestions then I am keen to look into them.

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Sony have kind of blurred the lines with the drop of the Nex name...

A3000 - similar specs to Nex 5 but 'SLR Style' body. Has EVF and flash shoe.
    A5000 - generally considered a Nex3 replacement. No EVF and no accessory port/flash shoe. Is the 'Nex Body' style.
    A6000 - yet to be released but rumours suggest it is a Nex6/7 replacement, also rumours that a Nex 7 replacement is due nearer the end of '14. Is the 'Nex Body' style.

For the best compromise between speed/size I would say the Nex6 with its hybrid contrast/phase focus but compact body would be the best fit. But the focus speed is still nowhere as good as a proper mirror based phase system on an SLR. Plus if you wait a month then the price should be a lot more attractive once the A6000 is released. As mentioned, you would still have the option of adding the LA-EA2 adaptor for situations where you need really fast focus - so long as you have some A-mount lenses as well as E-mount (which could get costly to have 2 lens systems on the go).

• Like Like x 1
  6. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    • Like Like x 1
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that A5000 is something between Nex 3&5 and A6000 between 6&7. I am waiting for A6000. If the body is 650 Euro Nex 6 may drop really low.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Benny23

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks ever so much for these replies, just brilliant. I think companies create this confusion of models on purpose as it makes it harder to compare prices for a like-for-like spec. But this info from you guys helps me to know where to wade in, cheers.

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    No problem. Once you've had a look at some, feel free to post some more specific questions. Plenty of people on here with the varying models to help you decide if its right for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I sympathize with you. The naming started off simple enough, but the past year or so has gotten really confusing.

As to focus speed, it really depends on what you want to do. In normal to dim everyday light the NEX is just fine and will do you well.

It is only in darkened situations that it can sometimes be difficult as the system is dependant on contrast based focusing, although that started to change with the NEX-6. Alot depends on the lens you choose, some are quicker than others.

11. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    That's probably the most reasonable interpretation of Sony's apparent path with their new E-mount camera naming scheme (such as it is) I've seen so far. And so it would seem that Sony may actually be simplifying their lineup by merging the 4 previous NEX lines into two (and adding the A3000 bridge-like entry model in below).

The A5000 basically brings the WiFi/NFC features from the 5T down to what is otherwise a 3N with an A3000 sensor. So it really is a merging of the 3 and 5, sort of (though otherwise slanted toward the 3).

If the rumored NEX-6/7 replacement is really going to be named the A6000, and it merges the 24MP resolution of the -7 with the hybrid AF of the -6 and blends NEX-6 and A7-style controls, it would further simplify Sony's ex-NEX lineup. But that sort of implies that there will be no true successor to the 5-series other than the A5000.

I was actually expecting the 6/7 replacement to get an A7000 moniker and a presumed later 5T replacement would get the A6000 name. But, as always, what do I know?

12. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Welcome to the forum.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to not rush to make a decision but enjoy the process of choosing your next camera. Try to get to hold and use the models you are interested in, as often the control layout can be a real turn off. The NIKON V1 was a case in point for me. Anything I suggest is based on my experience, which only covers the NEX6 in this case. However I also have an A7 and have previously used a Nikon D5100 and other dSLRs and SLRs before that.

Quote: "I am after a compact system camera that has the functionality and speed of a dslr. Specifically improving photography at low light levels, responsive shutter speed and camera portability. I have been pointed towards the sony nex range but am struggling to feel my way through the model range 3n, 5r, 5t, 6… On a limited budget I need to get the best I can with what i have in my wallet."

In my experience I did not notice any problem, for my uses, in functionality and speed between the D5100 and the NEX6. By functionality I mean able to use the controls, the speed of AF and low light abilities etc. These latter items are very dependent on the lenses used of course. Now, with two lenses (Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Alpha E-mount Retractable Zoom and Sony SEL55210 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3) I actually have wider coverage than I had with much bulkier lens for the D5100. I gained compactness without losing anything important to me, including IQ and focus speed (talking kit level lenses), and also gained the ability to use a range of legacy lenses. Telephotos longer than 210mm and with OSS and AF is something to consider if this is important to you. The other NEX models (and their successors) will offer differing features at different prices as has been mentioned already.

I hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Benny23

Feb 6, 2014
    I have been looking further, following all your great advice and could do with some more understanding. The Nex6 and A6000 both appear not to have the swivel facility on the screen to allow for being in a picture yourself, not something I would use often but it is a feature I liked. So discarding these and looking between the 5r 5t and a5000.
    If the A5000 is an evolution of the nex-3 as suggested above, then what is lacking on this camera that I would find on the 5r or 5t?
    In your informed opinions which of these is the better model (more bang for buck) based on my wishes to avoid shutter lag.
    Thanks for your help

14. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José

Being lazy I found an article that nicely points out the differences between the A5000/3/5r/5t...
    https://www.flickr.com/groups/sonycameraclub/discuss/72157639503532484/
    Primary things...
    A5000 has no accessory port or phase detect pixels for faster AF - 5R/T has.

I'll let someone with hands on experience mention their thoughts of r vs t variant of the 5. My understanding is it is very minimal, just NFC added to the t really... In which case pick up the r at a bargain?

15. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    What is your actual budget? The A6000 was announced a few hours ago boasting 'the fastest AF camera in the world'.
    It's reasonably priced at $650 and given your need for speed it would likely be worth it.

The 6/5t/5r all have the same hybrid phase detect technology, but they are not what I would call 'fast' like a traditionally SLR with full phase detect. While the real world verdict on the A6000 won't come until April it may be worth waiting and seeing if it lives up to its claim due to your specific requirement for speed.

16. Benny23

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks for your advice. The A6000 is slightly over budget although I would have considered it, however from what I've read this morning (just like its predecessor) it doesn't have the 180 degree screen, useful for selfies. Unless I'm mistaken. So far I'm leaning toward the nex5R/T, so it is a shame if the A6000 is considerably faster but fails due to one feature...

17. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José

Indeed, it hinges in the middle so can only go 90 degrees up and 45 down.
    I don't take selfies anywhere near often enough to worry about this though! The few I have taken part of the fun is aiming blind ;)
    Given the budget restriction I think the 5R/T would be your best choice as well.

18. Benny23

Feb 6, 2014
    Yes, Its just a feature that lets me squidge onto family photos sometimes ;)
    Thanks for your help, I will now trawl through the online retailers and try and find a good price for the 5r/5t. You are quite right, this is what I should looking for. Cheers