What is the benefit of an A7 with adapted glasses ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by izTheViz, Dec 7, 2013.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Guys,

Many of you got an A7 recently and played with adapted legacy glasses.
    Shots look pretty cool but I wonder what is the benefit of an A7 over a NEX7 or 6 or even 5N as legacy glasses still means crop mode. Hence not really FF...

I'll be in Thailand next month and prices are quite interesting. Before even buying an A7 body I really want to understand what could I leverage from it with legacy glasses comparee to my 5n for the price.

Thanks

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de TalkEmount

2. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    Legacy glass are usually full frame (35mm film form factor) so you don't use them in crop mode, but in full frame mode.

3. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    yes but from my understanding there can be up to very strong vignetting using them FF mode because of the adapter.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Some wide angle rangefinder legacy lenses may vignette because of the short flange distance, but almost all legacy SLR lenses should work just fine and will be right at home on the A7/A7R. No need to crop them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    All right. No incidence due to the adapter ? In that case I could consider puttin my FDs on an A7...
    Thanks

6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If it's a standard "dumb" adapter, i.e. no glass elements, then your FD lenses should work exactly as they used to on a 35mm film camera.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn New to TalkEmount

Nov 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks for that very informative write up, Chrisnmn. Here's the "money quote" as far as this thread goes:

Also, I've been shooting with my 35mm summilux without ANY problem. In fact i believe that EVERY photo in this post was shot with the 35mm, and as you can see there is absolutely no problems of smearing, color shift, bla bla bla on the corners. Which again shows a little bit how 'over the top' the 'internet' can be.

Having said that, I am amazed at how well the Helliar 15 worked for you! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Great post. Thanks

10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn New to TalkEmount

Nov 11, 2013
    Im glad i was of any help David. The A7 works wonders with my leica and voigtlander glass.